“Great hotel...strange choice of bathroom doors”

Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #183 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed with my partner for two nights as we wanted a hotel with easy access to Kings Cross and you can't really do better than a hotel right next to the station. We were on the third floor and noise wasn't an issue at all. The room was small(ish) but immaculate and it looks like the hotel has been very recently renovated and looks great. The hard bed was fantastic (no sagging lumpy mattress thank god!). The staff were friendly. Overall a bit of a find for London. The only bizarre thing was the bathroom doors. Seriously, who thought that having dappled glass in the bathroom doors was a good idea? I really don't want my partner being able to see when I'm on the loo!

Apart from that minor niggle, this is a great hotel. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Thank you for the review after your recent stay with us and I'm pleased to hear that our great location to Kings Cross Station made your travel plans easier. The fluted glass within our bathroom doors are designed to make the rooms light and airy and I'm sorry that you felt that this was a niggle. I hope to see you again at the hotel when you are next in London. Many thanks. Anthony

Write a ReviewReviews (1,316)

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed for one night as part of a group on a business trip.
The hotel has been reopened very recently, so everything is beautifully new. It's between King's Cross and St Pancras station, in the middle of an area of London which is being renovated and on its way to becoming hip.
Rooms are small and very comfortable, with a plenty small comfort touches such as a discreetly Nespresso machine, plenty of lighting and a walk-in shower.
We also had a luxurious breakfast and a quick drink in the hotel's pub.
Great staff as well, from desk to table.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
anthony_thwaites, Director of Rooms at Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review of the Great Northern Hotel. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in London. Anthony

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was so impressed with this hotel - I was able to take advantage of the fact that our normal corporate hotel have just decided to add £60 to their corporate rate which is hilarious as they now badge themselves as 'an ethical' hotel - and was able to book this instead. I was greeted so warmly, shown to the room with its fab view of the roof of Kings cross - the room is small and cosy and I had the best sleep for ages. The only slight grumble was the safe is so weeny you can't fit a laptop or iPad in it but that is it - the pantry idea with cakes and sweets is lovely - as are the staff - I will have some serious problems if I have to accept a corporate compromise anywhere else now! I didn't try the bar or the restaurant but I suspect that it will make a great stopover/meeting point before going back on a train.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post such a kind review after your recent stay with us at the Great Northern. I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your experience at the hotel and I'm pleased to inform you that we are actually in the process of changing our safes to be big enough to hold a lap top or I Pad. Thanks again and I do hope we get to see you back at the hotel very soon. Best wishes Anthony.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Don't get me wrong; this is tremendous hotel and fabulous in so many respects: the location, the service, the pantry on each floor, the fact that there is more than one outlet in the room for recharging devices (there's even a USB outlet so you can save on wall outlets). Yes, the rooms are small, but that's fairly standard in London. The shower is GREAT because the doors actually close and so contain the water. (This is a HUGE problem in many UK hotels; few provide shower doors, and those that do have curtains or half-doors that fail, miserably, at their job of keeping water IN the actual stall. By the end of your shower, you need a boat to row across the fairly hazardous lake on your bathroom floor.)

The design flaws, however, are these: a) there is no way to turn off a small but intensely bright green overhead light in the entrance hall, which then negates the very nice blackout blinds and curtains; and b) the bathroom doors are made of beveled glass, which means that you have a great, if fractured view of anyone who uses the toilet. That's . . . a problem.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SaturnGirlWisconsin

Thank you for posting a review after your stay at the Great Northern Hotel and I'm so pleased to hear your wonderful words regarding our location, service, showers and pantries. The fluted glass within our bathroom doors are designed to make the rooms light and airy and I'm sorry that you felt this was a problem. I do hope that this does not deter you from staying with us again when you're next in London. Thanks again, Anthony.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Fantastic hotel in a fab location. The Couchette rooms are small but to be honest in the hotel details it mentions this. The rooms are really lovely the shower is powerful. There are espresso machines in the room so you can have a great cup of coffee first thing. If you want a tea you have to go to the pantry at the end of the floor - but to be fair the pantry has cakes, biscuits and sweets which is a real novelty.

Why I have titled my review as "not built for the ladies" is the following issues with the room from a female perspective. There was no shower cap or vanity set (cotton wool balls etc) or a sewing kit. You could only use the hairdryer in the hall area of the room as the cord was not long enough - you also had to put the hairdryer on the floor as there was no shelf and hard work trying to put your make up on in the bathroom as no shelves. The other area I was not happy with was the door to the bathroom had glass in and were shutter doors - you really have to know the person you are sharing you room with.

However, overall my experience in this hotel was fab. The receptionist were really helpful.

Room Tip: If there is more than one of you I would probably choose a larger room than the couchette rooms - bu...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Paula, thank you for posting a review after your recent stay at the Great Northern Hotel and I'm so pleased to hear you had a fab time with us. We'll make sure to pop a vanity set and shower cap in your room next time and ensure you have a bathroom with a bit more shelf space. Thanks again, Anthony

Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was a lovely hotel to stay in. Having only been open 4 weeks when we stayed, the service was exceptional and the pantry on each floor, complete with cake and a coffee machine, was brilliant.
The room was clean and classy, with a fantastic view of the roof of kings cross. Set on curved corridors, the room wasn't enormous but it was very charming and certainly big enough for us. Lovely showers too. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a weekend crash pad with style. We will be staying again.

• Stayed: May 2013

I'm so pleased to hear you had a lovely stay with us at the Great Northern Hotel and that you enjoyed our cake and coffee offering in the pantries. Our location is indeed convenient for visitors to London and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you're next in town. Thank you, Anthony

Reviewed May 22, 2013

One of the reasons I picked this was due to it's proximity to KX station (and the reasonable prices for London midweek!).

Being newly opened, everything is very clean and tidy. I had a standard room which was fine, not huge, but more than ample for me for a couple of nights. Spec of the furnishings is very good and the movies, sky sports etc on the TV is ideal.

Liked the touch of the cakes etc at the end of the lobby.

All the staff were pleasant. I think showing people to their room is a nice personal touch.

All in all would recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank linz68

Thank you for posting such a great review after your stay with us at the Great Northern Hotel. I'm so very pleased you appreciated the touches that we think make us special too. Look forward to seeing you back at the hotel very soon. Anthony