“Good - but try Pollen Street Social / Social Eating house first”
Review of Little Social

Little Social
Ranked #1,126 of 24,268 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, Contemporary, British
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: With a nod towards some typically French plates, Little Social brings the best of British produce to the table. Quite literally across the street from flagship restaurant Pollen Street Social, Jason Atherton has created a heady mix of classic design, with ox-blood banquettes and intimate dining booths, traditional hardwood chairs, and beautiful antique elm tables. Vintage picture frames and old Michelin maps adorn the walls, offset by eclectic neon. Enjoy indgulent dishes such as Braised Irish ox cheeks, roast marrow bone, sourdough crumb, carrot, horseradish mash and Maple glazed doughnuts, baked Bramley apple, cinnamon & port filling, crème Anglaise & cinnamon sugar, along with a great value prix-fixe lunch & pre-theatre menu (available 6pm-7pm).
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Meal booked here on a Friday evening for 2. The restaurant itself is very much in a French bistro style and is well layout, with a cozy atmosphere. Tables for 2 were decently spaced out and there were a couple of booths as well available.

The food itself was good - for starters we had the raw scallops and the asparagus, both tasty. For mains we had the burger and the ox cheek. The burger was fantastic with oozing cheese and lovely bacon. The ox cheek came on a bed of horseradish mash and with bone marrow - lovely warming dish, though the horseradish mash might be overpowering for some. Desert was probably the star of the meal as we opted for the apple tarte tatin for two - pastry flaky and flavorsome, and sweet caramelized apple.

Service was fantastic and the waitress made us feel very welcome

So why not 5 stars? - at £145 for two (of which £43 was drinks), it is up there price wise with its sister restaurants Social Eating House and Pollen Street Social (ok Pollen street might be a tad more). At this sort of level, although I thoroughly enjoyed my meal at little social, I must admit the food quality was superior at both the other 2 restaurants which have more wow factor too.

So purely on the value for money, that brings it down to 4 stars for me. I think the asparagus starter is a good example of this; where a couple of stalks of asparagus with an egg and some lardo costs £15, which is just a bit much to be honest even though it tasted good

1  Thank Phil A

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Dined here with a group of friends for a late midweek dinner. Room is beautifully decorated and busy, which raises expectations somewhat. Our table was not ready until almost 930 after a 9PM booking, a delay which did yield a sincere-sounding apology and some wine on the house after we complained.

I was much sadder to see what followed. Starters were fine--crab and toast was tasty, if very similar to what's on offer at dozens of high-end Anglo-French places around Zone 1.

Things got ropy with the mains. One of our party had ordered the sirloin, medium rare. It arrived grey all the way through, prompting her to send it back. Imagine our surprise when our waiter re-appeared with same steak a few minutes later, to inform us that he'd 'spoken to the chef, who says it is in fact medium rare,' whereupon he pointed to a tiny corner of discernible pink at one corner of the by now much-abused piece of meat. 'But if you STILL don't like it, we're very happy to cook another.'

Feeling by now rather sheepish, my companion reluctantly took up the offer. A second steak arrived--again, grey as an autumn morning. At this point all were tired of fighting this and she ate it, unhappily.

My own burger was good but, again, basically standard for high-end London.

Aside from the steak incident, staff were gracious throughout, and took the offending sirloin off the bill--along with bringing some more wine gratis, which we appreciated. But the impression on the whole was of a place that's just not up to scratch given the prices.

Like many London chefs, Jason Atherton is now spread incredibly thin, with restaurants here and in a smattering of Asian cities. Standards have slipped amid that expansion. We won't be returning.

1  Thank Mattcampbel
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Went here for a business lunch. Best lunch I've had in a very long time. Couldn't fault the place. The food, wine, port (best I've had) and service were exceptional. I haven't tried the sister restaurants but if they are anywhere near as good as these, they all need checking out.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Having been to both Pollen Street and Social House I was eager to try out this place. And I was not disappointed. The food was great and on par with its older brother across the street. But not quite as up-scaled or stuffy, more laid back, brasserie food. Great food in a more relaxed and comfortable setting. Recommended for an easy relaxed meal with friends or family.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Firstly I must compliment the staff. Very friendly and helpful, in particular the sommelier. We chose some delicious wines with his help which were not too pricy by London standards. The food was delicious and the general atmosphere easy and fun. My husband went the next day for lunch as well and was also made to feel very welcome. I look forward to returning.