“super large family!”

Ranked #459 of 554 London B&B and Inns
Belfast, United Kingdom
“super large family!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

spent a few days with a group of friends in london at STAY IN CHELSEA. we stayed in a large family room on the ground floor. There were four of us and after splitting the cost, it worked out at about £16 per person, brillant value for a studio accommodation. The room was clean and looked like it had been newly done up. It had a little kitchen for us to make snacks and breakfasts, we are students, so this was very handy. We were visiting for lectures at Imperial college, which was five minute walk from the guesthouse. It is also close to the Musuems, like victoria and Albert, and science museum.

Having to share a bathroom is not glamourous but they were cleaned regularly and there seemed to be plenty of bathrooms to go round.

To be honest, I was expecting much, but I got surprised and I will definitely book here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tom M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Czech first
Cardiff
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Booked online for the location and the price. We were met at the hostel by friendly young man who said sorry because we were not being given the room of our choice. We had chosen a double with kitchenette but were given a very narrow twin that was actually half a room partitioned off! Kettle & hairdryer, no kitchenette. We were disappointed but not offered a refund or reduction. We were told to paid cash which was odd. Room window backed onto Old Brompton Rd which was noisy but kept window open as it was hot. Mattresses very lumpy I could feel every spring! Had to sleep on top of duvet for comfort! But it was clean and so was the shared bathroom. Great location, a few mins walk to Museums, South Kensington, Kings Rd etc. Wi-fi worked, inmates friendly and quiet. Would have been happier with better room and beds but it was cheap to stay there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I was a bit nervous coming here after I read some of the reviews but I throughly enjoyed my stay! The guys that run it are young and very helpful. We booked a studio room, at the beginning they gave us a room on the top floor, but 5 sets of stairs is too much for someone as old as me, so the following day they changed our room. The room had been nicely done up, clean white bed sheets and a little kitchen to make snacks, every thing is basic and but it was perfect for what we wanted. The location is the best part of about the hotel, I love going to musuems in that area of london, and it was a short walk to many of the places i wanted to visit. All in all, I can definitely say that I will be booking here again when I am in london.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We just returned from a weekend away at Stay In Chelsea Guesthouse. The room was very large and perfect for our family. We had a lovely room on the ground floor with a private kitchen, perfect for making breakfast and snacks in! The rooms are fresh and nicely decorated, all the furnishings are simple ikea style, but everything was clean and we were happy. The only downside was the bathrooms are all shared, although not glamourous they were always kept clean. The staff were very helpful too and allowed us to check in early.

I would definintely come back agian when I am in london.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Marcos O
Fife
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This place is a combination of pluses and minuses. On the positive side is its great location - in a really good area close to museums, shops and transport links.Other big plus is the cost - worked out at £35 each per night. Our twin room was also a good size for London and had its own fridge,kettle and hairdryer. Beds comfortable enough with fresh sheets. Whoever took the photos for the website though had obviously had the Changing Rooms team round as they made the property look considerably plusher and more freshly decorated than is the reality. The good room rate is achieved by having shared bathrooms. House is over five floors - and not all had shower rooms so there was a lot of pressure on those that did.The shower on the second floor worked well but be prepared for the soggy towel on the floor making do as a bathmat.Other economy was by only having one staff member on site to do everything, house just did not feel as clean as it should have done.The IKEA table in our room had not been properly assembled and was very shoogly so we had to take great care when eating our breakfast off it! In short, if you are looking for a base in London for a couple of nights and location is more important to you than luxury and you are prepared to forgo en suite facilities then this place could fit the bill. Just a pity it seems to be operated from a distance for with no face to face dealings with the owners. With a little more love and attention it could be a cracking place!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Clarabella1111
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I was rather shocked to read these reviews having just returned from a great little 3 night stay with my Parter and son. The room was basic but large and clean with fresh towels, tea and coffee, mini fridge etc could not complain - the room had a nice outlook over the river thames. I found the host to be really friendly as well who helped me locate my business seminar from the hotel. I mean this place it not he Ritz but delivers on what it promises and allows you to stay somewhere very central at a great price... I would return again for sure, personally.

Room Tip: Ask for a 'River View' room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 2scruples2
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I were in London for just a few days as a stop over from the States to the Continent. We usually prefer a guest house over a hotel, but this was much closer to a hostel than a guest house. I will say nothing in the house was misrepresented -- we got exactly what they said we would. That being said, I was never quite comfortable. The bed and linens were icky, the bathmat in the shared bathroom was ALWAYS wet, there was leaking water in the hallway.

The worst part was that on the last night of our stay, at 1230am or so, the fire alarm in the brownstone went off. The fire brigade came and told us something was wrong with the wiring and that the owner would need to call an electrician in the morning. And that there was no guarantee that the alarm wouldn't go off again. We, along with a number of other guests, tried without success to get a hold of the owner or the housekeeper. No dice. I called twice, left messages and sent emails, all the while standing outside on the cold street in my pajamas. Sure enough, the fire alarm went off again at 4am. We just decided to grab out bags and leave for the airport a few hours early. Not a fun night.

Of course, stuff happens. This was not foreseeable. HOWEVER -- there was NO response from the owner. Nothing. No returned phone call or email. An apology would have been nice. An acknowledgement was in the very least needed.

Pros:
- nice safe neighborhood
- convenient access to the underground
- inexpensive
- microwave and fridge in the room

Cons:
- saggy bed
- thin walls (could hear the upstiars guests going at it at all hours)
- shared bathroom never felt clean
- ISSUES (see above)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrDarcyAndElizabeth

Travelers are raving about these London hotels