“Great food and service”

Indian Express. West Kensington
Ranked #80 of 23,562 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Your local for fine indian cuisine in west kensington
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We listened to the advice of the waiter to choose our meal and that was a great decision. The food was delicious and the service very welcoming. The meal was excellent value given the quality of the food, we were both very full and satisfied.

2  Thank adesci

Reviewed July 1, 2014

This restaurant came to my attention when it was briefly ranked at #2 in London on Tripadvisor. Upon reading the reviews, I was wary of the surprisingly large proportion from first time reviewers, but thought I would give it a try, as it was in the neighbourhood.

We booked a few days in advance for dinner on Friday. The restaurant only holds 18 people, and it was full for much of the time we were there. The décor is fairly basic and some of the furniture was a bit worn out. We were given a friendly greeting by our waiter Becky (spelling?). He was keen to provide recommendations from the menu, and in hindsight the recommended dishes were our favourites. We had the lamb chops and king prawn puree to start with, followed by the Green Chilli Chicken and Lamb Sagwala for mains. We also had a side of the Special Daal. This was all accompanied by naan bread. The first three items I mentioned were all very good. The Lamb Sagwala was decent, but felt a bit similar to what you may find in many other Indian restaurants - the same applied to the daal. The naan was excellent – the perfect combination of soft and crispy. All in all, this was an absolutely massive quantity of food, definitely too much for two people. But I blame ourselves for being over-eager when ordering!

The service we received from Becky throughout our meal was outstanding. He is part of the family that owns the restaurant (as are most of the other employees) and was full of enthusiasm about the food and also very eager to ensure we had the best experience possible. After our meal he brought us a complimentary mango kulfi (also quite good).

The conclusion: go for the recommended dishes and you will have an enjoyable meal. The food is not outstanding, but it is certainly decent enough for a local Indian, and it also represents good value, with our total bill (excluding service) coming to £45. I wouldn’t travel across London for this, but if you live in the area, then definitely give it a try. I would have given them a 4-star rating, if not for the excellent service we received, and for that I have awarded them an extra star!

Tip: the restaurant has moved recently, and as at the time of my visit Google Maps still pointed you to the old address (which is about 10 min walk from the new place).

3  Thank ishan23
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I am so lucky to have this great Indian restaurant as my local one. We dined here several times and the restaurant never disappointed - food wise or service wise. Indian Express you have secured yourself another returning customer :) thank you.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Superb family-run restaurant, great for for a takeaway or BYO dinner out. The owners are friendly and the food is excellent and always tasty and fresh. And whatever you do have the prawn puri as your starter.

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

... But the care that goes into their dishes i think the name can detract from that. There is no express about it... This place is by far the best Indian takeaways I have ever had! Though its my most local and I have many to chose from... I will no doubt use this as my first choice. Nice people too... Who clearly have pride in what they do

2  Thank Darren L