“Wicked sushi and great staff”
Review of Zaibatsu

Zaibatsu
Ranked #296 of 24,404 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Greenwich
Reviewed February 20, 2014

After reading recommendations and hearing the buzz about this place from friends, I actually booked a table here on valentine's day. As I was warned the decor of this place ( plastic tables, let's call it takeaway chic...) I was not too fussed about its appearance. The waitress was friendly recommending places to buy alcohol- The place is BYOB- and to with draw cash, quick to bring up bottle openers and glasses for us. We ordered the following for two hungry people who had just walked from observatory:
One soft-shell crab in salt and pepper seasoning- INCREDIBLE
One wasabi mayo prawns- not as good but still creamy and tasty
Volcano Rolls which totally lived up to the hype
and a tray of essential sushi- Nigri, california rolls and the like with a vast array of seafood and fish like octopus, salmon, tuna, mackerel, cod.
This absolute feast came to under 20 quid a head with enough of great, fresh and beautifully presented sushi to put us into a food coma. Would recommend it in a heart beat.

2  Thank Aggie R

Reviewed February 19, 2014

My husband and myself went to Zaibatsu last night after reading great reviews they have on the Tripadvisor. We have ordered 3 starters: oat prawns with buttermilk, tempura soft shell crab and salt and pepper squid. We did not like the prawns, they were very bland and didn't go with the oats at all, the tempura on the soft shell crab was rather oily and quite thick you couldn't rely taste the crab, the salt and pepper squid was quite nice.
For mains we have ordered Volcano rolls, Norwegian rolls and Storm unagi rolls. The rolls are really small, you get 8 rolls for around £10, so they are not cheap and you will still feel hungry after ordering just one portion. The Norwegian rolls were great in taste and very fresh, but the Volcano rolls and Storm unagi rolls (with crab and smoked eal) were just ok.
For dessert we had a platter with chocolate fondant (absolutely delicious ) with mango/coconut cream mousse and green tea ice cream which for some reason smelled strongly of fish (perhaps they keep the ice-cream in the same fridge with the fish hence the fishy smell).
The place is very basic with tacky decor and no ambience at all, plastic tables are very small and you feel a squashed in your seat.
The bill came to £60 excluding drinks and I had much nicer meals in many other restaurants in London for the same money.
We did not order any main noodles or rice dishes, but we did see some people ordering them and they looked very big and well priced at around £6, so maybe we just made bad choices and should have order a noodle dish instead of starters.
Overall I don't think I would be returning or recommending the place.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

...but went because my partner does.
Every single thing we ordered was absolutely delicious; honestly one of the best meals that I have ever eaten.
Do not be fooled by the plain decor; what arrives on your plates compensates for this a thousand times over.
The chef and waitress were also completely charming and helpful.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Amazing food at great value! This was by far the best sushi I ever had! The fish was really fresh and all the flavours were spot on. The big surprise of the night were the Volcano Rolls. A blast of flavour that really wowed us. The food presentation was also amazing. The staff was really friendly and helpful giving us some tips and explaining a lot about the dishes. The place doesn't look that much from the outside and the decoration could be improved but the food makes you forget all of that. Although it's a small place and it was quite full, you still feel comfortable and have enough privacy for a nice dinner. All under 50£ for two which was cheaper than most sushi restaurants I ever went... If you're a sushi lover don't miss it!

2  Thank Ana_Ricardo
Reviewed February 6, 2014

This is indeed a restaurant you wouldn't notice or expect much from.
But as all good things looks can be very deceiving.
A very humble place, small number of tables, very simple decorations.
Super nice staff is just the introduction to the best meal ever!

1  Thank ricardoespsanto