“A long way to go I'm afraid”

The Maroons Resturant
Ranked #16,630 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My wife and I decided to try this new restaurant as we are big fans of Caribbean food but also expect it to be of good quality, presented with some style, in a welcoming and relaxing setting and by professionals who look like they are enjoying their job but I'm afraid most of this was lacking during our visit.
We walked into the restaurant and waited by the entrance to be welcomed and seen to our seats by someone which was relatively prompt but our seats were uncomfortable and we were offered an alternative which was next to the loo so we declined as all other tables were apparently pre-booked. It was a Saturday and the restaurant was quite busy but not full. It took some time before we were presented with the menu and our orders taken but this didn't bother us too much however, we did notice a group at another table waited a considerable amount of time before someone even acknowledged them, they had come in waited for a while then sat themselves at a table as there was no one around at the time. Another group waited at the entrance for about 10mims before they were seated, then waited another 10-15 and no one came to offer them drinks, a menu or take their order so they simply got up and left!
Our starters arrived and they both were very tasty but my wife's soup had clearly been reheated in the microwave and my ackee and saltfish was quite oily.
I was shocked when the waitress turned up when we would have been expecting our main courses to tell me they had run out of the fish I ordered nearly 1hr before! I reluctantly asked for the oxtail stew instead but she then came back 10mims later to say that was also no longer available. My options were curry goat or jerk chicken, neither of which I wanted on this occasion. Again, I reluctantly chose the jerk chicken. Both were again very tasty when they arrived.
We also overheard people at some of the other tables complaining about the lack of choice.
They seem to get the fundermentals of running a restaurant so wrong that I'd be surprised if its still open in 6 months which would be a terrible shame.
That said, these issues shouldn't be too difficult to fix and if they do, they could be around for the long haul.

1  Thank steveuzoma

Reviewed April 6, 2013

The most amateurish attempt at a Caribbean restaurant I have ever experienced. Grotesquely bad service, food abysmal. Expect long delays, don't bother asking for ice - just be grateful that they eventually manage to bring cutlery!

1  Thank hough_john
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I went to The Maroons (caribbean restaurant) on Friday 29th March. Being of a caribbean decent my husband and I were really looking forward to this dining experience. We arrived at approx 7.35pm and we were escorted to our seat. We were then left for 20mins without being asked if we would like to order a drink etc....! The restuarant was not busy so there was absolutely no need for them to be as slow as they were. We were so confused about the non attention we received my husband had asked the waiter if we had to go up and order our food. We were then told that someone will be with us shortly. We heard one of the managers tell the waitress to serve us and she right out refused and said so we could hear that she didn't want to!
During our wait many people were complaining about the long wait for the food. We saw a group of people come in the same time as us and then leave about 15mins later as they were not seen to and did not appreciate the long wait.
Finally our drink and food order was taken and we received our starters which was beautiful even though it wasnt hot. I was slightly apprehensive about telling the waitress the food was not hot as we did not want to wait any longer. For the main course I had Jerk Chicken which was not authentic the sauce was from a jar and not that tasty.
The lady who finally served us was great. She was very attentive. I think she was the manager but I'm not sure. Between the starters and the lady who served us they made our time there a little better.
I had bought a deal from Wowcher so therefore had the food at a discounted price. The food you get at The Maroons is not worth the price they charge. If I had paid full price I would definitely had complained about the service and food and I probably would have refused to pay.
We had travelled from Leicester to go to this restuarant and this was a terrible dining experience not worth our money, time or effort.
Definitely would not recommend this restaurant to anyone especially if you would like authentic caribbean food. It was a great disappointment.

Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Went on a deal and after reading reviews elsewhere was worried.
It is a new establishment and they try really hard.
Nice Caribbean food good attentive service and we enjoyed the evening. We had a good meal with wine for £20 in city of london. I have no complaints. When this establishment is fully up and running it will be a great local dining experience.
Only critism is to take out the description of African as there wasn't any African food on the menu.

1  Thank mlanaka