“Excellent venue for a London Trip”

Saint James Backpackers
Ranked #50 of 896 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We were in London for my graduation and decided to book St. James Backpackers as the photos were impressive and it was a great location close to tube stations, and the price was also very good. Myself, partner and mum stayed here for 1 night (Friday night) and we were not disappointed, the staff were very helpful at all times, the venue was clean, accommodating, the back garden was lovely as the weather was beautiful. The breakfast was pleasant, If you are looking for a nice accommodating friendly venue to stay in then look no further, you have found the place, if you are looking to stay in a 5* venue then this is not for you, but If you are happy to mix with others, laugh and enjoy conversation, then I could not think of a better place to stay. The rooms although small, are perfect for resting your head, they are bunk style beds but this was no problem for us, and the toilet and shower facilities were close and clean. As a Fellow of the Institute of Travel and Tourism, and a Member of the Institute of Hospitality, I would fully recommend this venue for anyone looking for a friendly comfortable stay that is down to earth and no frills.

Room Tip: Be aware most travellers are students, so a good choice would be a private room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Saint James Backpackers

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Unfortunately it was a horrible experience... The wifi never worked on my iphone (other guests said the same), the toilet is shared between men and women and it´s so small that you can almost not move. The beds make A LOT of noise when people do the smallest movement. What they call continental breakfast is a joke... I imagined something completely different when I read "family run". The staff is careless and won´t help with information about transfer to the airport. If you forget your eletricity adaptor you can borrow one for 10pounds refund when a new one costs 5... They are only after your money, this is not a touristic environment at all! Avoid the headache, find another place as there are plenty of options in London (including another hostel on the same street).

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
7  Thank Marcela O
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Pros :
- good safe location near tube, many food places, 15 min walk to Hyde park, harrods area.
- free use of computer
- everything clean, really does have a home like feel
- most of staff very friendly, guy carried my bags up w/o even asking, very kind
- seems like a place easy to mingle w/ other travellers.

Cons
- they had a kitchen but I was told there's a charge to use it (?!) but one day I asked another receptionist if I could borrow a fork she said 'of course' .... So that was strange.
- wifi was horrible, even in common room.
- I was also charged £5 when I asked to move to a bottom bunk... In a room 8 there was only 1 other guy there for the 5 days I stayed.
- Toilets / shower rooms were shared male female Though never a lineup,or crowded I would prefer separate
- I never had a spot on the couch at evening, could do w/ a few bean bag chairs.
- no free breakfast

I thought it was fine. It was clean, comfortable but in my opinion overpriced, and they were still trying to get more money outta me.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Fabro F
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

My 2 friends and I booked a triple room, spent there 6 days and enjoyed each one of them.

Staff (A): Everyone we met during our staying was super nice, specially the brunette girl at the reception who welcomed us and showed us our room, the bathrooms and the kitchen.

Location (A): 3/4 minutes away from Earl's Court's tube by feet. Really well connected to every part of the city and the main attractions.

Facilities (B): The wifi worked really great for us, I guess they improved their connection system. The breakfast was really okay, milk, cereals, toast, jams and chocolate cream. There were eggs too but we didn't have any so I can't help on that. The kitchen was opened till midnight which was great.

Cleanliness (B-): Bathrooms were fine, just a little bit tiny. Every night around 8 there was a girl who cleaned them all. Our room was clean as well but I think my friend found out some marks on her sheets. Anyway it's really the best you can ask from a hostel.

Price (B): We spent around 23£ per night which was really good since it's London and in a well located area.

Our room was a little bit tiny but at the end of the day I can say we were really satisfied by everything. I will definitely come back there for my next trip to the city!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank efederica
Reviewed November 24, 2013

it was my first time sleeping in a hostel, and i got surprised by this one, so clean and beautiful inside, i felt just like home and i met a lot of people from different countries of the world.
the staff was so nice, especially the italian girl.

the location of earl's court is special, next to the hostel there is a 24hrs open tesco, and a lot of pub's bars, and it is 4 minutes near to the earl's tube station (on foot).

besides the rooms were spacious and comfortable, and my roommates seemed so reliable and friendly.

if i'll need to come back to london i'll probably choose it again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kevin V
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Location(5/5): 5 minutes walk to tube station, there are various bars, cafes, restaurants and supermarkets near by

Value(3.5/5): acceptable, considering that everything is expensive in London

Staff(4/5): mostly friendly and helpful except for the Italian girl (or the girl who speaks Italian)

Room(5/5): spacious with enough hooks, power sockets so that you wouldn't feel uncomfortable even if the room is shared by 8 people

Sleep quality(3/5): the female-only room where I stayed is just below the common area, therefore whenever someone walks across the common area the ceiling of the room trembles, and you can image what was it like when some kids found it a good idea to practise Flamenco upstairs for the first 2 nights...

Cleanliness(2/5): it seemed that the frequency of cleaning was every 2 or 3 days, the ventilation in the toilets/bathroom didn't work very well

Facilities(2.5/5): nice kitchen and garden, poor wifi, no laundry

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Spent about two weeks at Saint James Backpackers. Really nice place and friendly staff. Nice common area and clean kitchen. Easy to get to know new people since many people use the kitchen and the common area. I would recommend this place for short term stay only thought, since the toilets are located at another floor for some rooms. Totally okay if don't stay too long.

Room Tip: Try to get the bottom bunk.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends