“Sci-Fi & Comic Heaven”
Review of Forbidden Planet

Forbidden Planet
Ranked #19 of 738 Shopping in London
More attraction details
Owner description: The uk's largest and best-known science fiction, fantasy and cult entertainment retailer! Specialist comics and comic subscriptions
Burleigh Heads, Australia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Sci-Fi & Comic Heaven”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Forbidden Planet has been around for a number of decades (previously nearer Covent Garden) and the latest location on Oxford Street spans a floors. This place is the best of it's kind for sci-fi &, cult entertainment including a full range of books, animated stories and graphic novels, comics, anime, manga, cult figurines, board games etc. I love this place and every time I am London I religiously visit this awesome shop. You can easily spend 2-3 hours in here.

Visited May 2012

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Geek haven”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is one of the largest sci-fi, fantasy, horror and cult entertainment shop. This place is truly a two-level geek Mecca. You'll find there gadgets, games, toys... and downstairs you'll find comics and books.
Staff is friendly and helpful. If you are sci-fi/fantasy geek - beware, you'll spent a lot of money there!

Visited October 2012
2 Thank siannve
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Most amazing sci-fi/fantasy/cult store I've seen”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Forbidden Planet is a shop that specialises in science fiction, fantasy and cult merchandise, action figures, comics, graphic novels and books, in a nutshell. They have several stores in the UK, but I think this one is the largest.

I have spend many many hours there, amazed at the huge collection of awesome stuff they have. You enter at the ground floor where you're greeted by a large display containing incredibly detailed action figures and statues of Batman, Bane, Alien, Predator, Spider-Man, Doctor Who, and many more. After 45 minutes browsing, my friend told me that there was another floor downstairs where they kept the comics and books, and I haven't even gotten to that bit yet! So we agreed to meet again later that day, as I was about to spend at least another hour (time goes so fast in that store..) downstairs, amazed by the enormous collection of comics, graphic novels and books.

Honestly, it took me a huge effort to keep my purchases to a minimum, not because of the costs, but because I had to carry it all back home again, and all that paper does add up to the weight.. :)

Anyway, I went back there the next day, Sunday, finding a small queue in front of the store just before they opened at noon. Several hours of splurging later I left the store with the regret that my holiday in the UK almost ended, and I wouldn't be able to shop there again any time soon. I guess that's just best for my bank account though.. :)

Fortunately they do have a webshop..)
The staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful too.

So yeah, if you're into things like Doctor Who, Firefly, video games, X-men, manga, cult comics, or sci-fi, fantasy and comics in general, then this is definitely a place where you can splurge your heart out (eejw, that sounds icky) :)

Visited March 2013