“Great, even for the dreaded lone eater”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Maze Grill Mayfair

Maze Grill Mayfair
Ranked #974 of 22,376 Restaurants in London
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: maze Grill is one of the premier Gordon Ramsay restaurants in London and takes its inspiration from the informal style of New York's grill restaurants. Featuring an exquisite selection of wonderfully fresh fish dishes, we create cuisine that inspires.
Denver, Colorado
“Great, even for the dreaded lone eater”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

I often think restaurant owners should test their staff by sending a woman to eat alone because most places fail miserably and treat you like a leper. Although I was seated at the bar and the bar was not ideal because it isn't big enough to sit under it, everything else was perfect. The food is simply beautiful. The calamari is as good as I have had and very simple. If you haven't eaten pork in the UK you should as it is far superior to anything you get in the US. This place is a winner.

Visited April 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
snoldland
“Still amazing but lacking in details!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

On my second visit to the Maze I was little bit disappointed. The food was still amazing and full of flavours but there was a lack of details on the dishes. In my first visited I had mackerel cooked in beetroot sauce. The burgundy vivid colour on the fish and flavour was perfect, so I told one of my cousins to try it. When her dish arrived there was the mackerel and a line of beetroot sauce beside it not even closed to that beauty I saw and tried before. All the dishes we had were the same thing no flavoured jelly, foam sauces or crisp bacon to decorate the plates, except for the deserts which were perfect as before. I do understand there are some changes on dishes ever so often and for a Monday lunch £30.00 for 4 courses is cheap but I would appreciate if the presentation and the extras touches would be kept. Those are things I would like to see on my plate in a 1 Michelin star restaurant. It is for sure a restaurant to visit!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank DaniHP
“Ok food, terrible service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

I visited the Maze grill for my brother's birthday meal with my parents and nieces. 3 weeks ago I celebrated my marriage in the York and Albany, another Ramsey venue and had an incredible experience; I therefore approached this meal with the assurance and confidence that this would be a well run, high quality restaurant. This was not the case.

The meal started well enough; our first waitress was informative and welcoming. The starters Arrived in good time and were ok, standard mid range starters you would expect in most restaurants. From then on the experience declined steadily until the end of the meal.

As a main course I had a £45 US sirloin steak. The waitress had done such a good job of selling it's provenance that I was looking forward to something truly special. However, my medium rate steak was over cooked, charred (in a bad way) and was poorly prepared. If this was a quality meat it was hard to tell after pretty obvious poor cooking leaving big chunks of crunchy charcoal lumps on the edges giving the steak a bitter taste. The staff forgot 2 of the side dishes but worsts of all forgot to order/ serve one of the main courses. Instead of immediately recognising the error and apologising the waitress tried to cover it up and said it would arrive soon. Only after 10 minutes of waiting and calling the staff over did one waiter admit it was forgotten and needed to be cooked. We had to eat our food and by the time my 7 year old niece had been served her food we had all finished. Appalling! To top it off when we asked for the bill we received a poor apology and were told they would take the service charge and the kids meal off of the price! Firstly we wouldn't have paid the service charge anyway as it was poor by any standard. Secondly, being given a "free" kids meal that was 49 minutes late of of a bill of over £370. Il let anyone reading this decide if you think that is acceptable. To add insult to injury we were then left a further 20 minutes waiting for someone to actually come and let us pay the bill. Whilst staff chatted and polished glasses at the bar, completely ignoring us, intentionally or not.

Overall, average food, very poor service overall. I would expect better service in my local high street and much better value.

I left angry and let down. What a shame.

London, United Kingdom
“OH DEAR”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

Our first visit to Maze was in 2011 and we did enjoy it. We ate in the 'Fine Dining Micehelin Star' area of this busy place and were so disappointed on this return visit. In 2011 the guests were all dressed smartly for dinner and the place had a nice ambience. This time, jeans, trainers, anything goes. Kids in buggies in a 'Fine Dining' restaurant, sorry but something has gone wrong at Maze. Imagine arriving at La Gavroche in jeans and tee-shirt and nice new Nike's, with your shopping bags and the twins in the buggy!

Don't get me wrong, we love kids, we have our own and gran-kids but come on Maze, we are paying a premium to be in a Michelin Star place and to enjoy fine dining. This was no better than say Prezzo or many other chains, where you get a better ambience and much better service.

Tables, without table cloths is not Fine Dining, situated on top of each other so no privacy, not good.

The food was very good, the only saving grace. Sadly the dessert from the tasting menu was appalling, Icelands quality and the staff knew it.

• Visited April 2014
“Birthday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

I went here on 19th april for my birthday, it was my first visit to maze grill. the staff were brilliant and so kind. the food was lovely, i will definitely be returning,.i would highly recommend. They were so kind to me. and my husband.