“Very special”

Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Description: Chef Patron Taylor Bonnyman, working in collaboration with Head Chef Marguerite Keogh, offer elegant and playful modern British cooking with an emphasis on native British artisanal produce. Having worked in some of the finest kitchens in London, New York, and Paris the kitchen brings together its influences to create contemporary, seasonally focused, and ingredient led dishes. The food balances luxurious indulgence with delightfully fresh simplicity.
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I went here last week with my parents and had a wonderful time! We went for the 3 course set menu which was fantastic value considering how beautiful and delicious the food was. In fact, it was the best food I've ever eaten. (The foie gras dish was my particular favourite). The service was seamless and matched the standard of the food.

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for a special place to dine with loved ones.

2  Thank Joanna R
TheFiveFields, General Manager at The Five Fields, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Dear Joanna,

What a wonderful compliment - the best food you've ever eaten.

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your evening with us and the Foie Gras in particular. I'm pleased, too, that the service was seamless and suited you so much.

I hope that we'll be able to welcome you back again soon.

Matthew

Write a ReviewReviews (1,133)

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We went for an anniversary meal and weren't disappointed. From the delicious hot breads from the oven to the amuse bouches. I had the rock pool starter which was sublime to lovely lamb as a main. Service was attentive without being overbearing. I can see a Michelin star coming and well deserved it would be too.

5  Thank oscartime

Dear OscarTime,

Thank you very much for your delightful review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed celebrating your anniversary with us - always a great compliment to be able to help make special occasions memorable.

Your Rock Pool starter is a very special dish indeed, served in three parts: Oyster tartar, cucumber jelly, bloody mary granita, alongside teriyaki glazed smoked eel, sea urchin, ponzu dressed mackerel, seaweed crisp and meringue, black radish and English caviar all followed by a pan roasted langoustine served with peanut paste, tom yum gel and a shellfish and kaffir lime bisque.

I'm very pleased, too, that the service you received suited your evening.

Thank you once again, and I hope we're able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Had dinner with a friend here on my last visit. It was amazing - the service was superb and felt like home. Our food was delicious and expertly presented. Will be back in autumn for sure.

1  Thank EuroCafeOwner

Dear EuroCafeOwner,

Thank you very much for your wonderful and succinct review. Amazing and superb service, delicious food expertly presented- what more could we hope to offer. Thank you and I do indeed look forward to welcoming you back in the Autumn (if not sooner!).

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Overall, an enjoyable meal, but not of a high enough level to merit a very good ranking. On arrival we were ushered upstairs to the bar for a drink. The room is nicely decorated, quite classic and very tasteful. However, there is not an actual bar or cocktail barman as there is no room. So the cocktails are actually made downstairs where the bar is more shelves of drinks rather than a proper bar. This is not ideal in my view. It also means the service is slightly slow getting drinks, and on top of that, the experience of watching the cocktails being made is missed out.
The dining room is very nicely furnished, again classy and sophisticated. The service was also faultless. We both opted for the tasting menu. The canapes/amuse bouche were superb, bursting with flavour. And the menu proper began very well with a refreshing gazpacho and a superbly executed langoustine dish. Perfect balance of creativity and flair without going over the top and compromising on actual balance and flavour. However, after the langoustine, the menu became slightly forgettable. The foie gras was fine, but not superb. There was an underwhelming salmon mousse and the lamb dish was lovely, but the jus was just too runny. In my opinion it wasn't right, and of course the sauce brings the dish together. Overall, it was very good, but not great.
The big problem though was the desserts. The pre dessert was a mango sorbet with celery and apple granite (I believe that is correct) and peanuts. Well, it was a relatively basic dish, and the peanuts totally overpowered the delicate flavours of the granite and sorbet. It was a poor dish. Then the main dessert, totally out of keeping with the rest of the menu. No precise and attractive presentation. Sold as chocolate soil, it was just dry chocolate crumbled all over the dish, and then with garden peas on it. It was inedible, we both left over half our plates. For a restaurant at this level, the composition, balance, execution and overall dish was very very disappointing, and left a sour note on the end of the meal.
Overall, I feel the restaurant has 1 star (at least) aspirations, and it is on the right tracks, but it will need to seriously tighten up on the sweets. The tasting menu must showcase the best that the chef has to offer, and whilst I clearly followed the style of the main chef, I am afraid the dessert chef left a lot to be desired. I personally have an issue with having totally independent savoury and dessert chefs. I like to follow a story all the way through, not broken up themes, with differentiating execution and quality. Personally, I feel Medlar down the road is streets ahead of The Five Fields, and it is also significantly cheaper (that is not the most important thing but puts this comparison in perspective). I can only assume that given the positive reviews this restaurant has had, we maybe had a poor night (although those desserts are just poor full stop). But we certainly shall not be back....for our Chelsea fine dining fix, it will be Medlar for sure.

6  Thank craftyninja1

Dear CraftyNinja,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your very considered review.

I'll begin with the many positives to your evening with us: I'm pleased you appreciated the design and décor of the restaurant. Being in a Chelsea town-house, we've made the most of the space and I'm glad that you were able to enjoy a cocktail in the lounge, but alas there wasn't space for a "bar" in which to sit and enjoy the interaction of your cocktails being made. I do hope you enjoyed them none the less (If I recall you had the Bloody Bridge- Cinnamon infused rum, saffron, vanilla, cranberry with dandelion and burdock bitters and the Rhuby Tuesday - a non-alchoholic cocktail of fresh rhubarb juice, rosemary, honey and bitter lemon?)

Moving down to the main dining room, I'm very pleased you very much enjoyed the canapés and the amuse bouche as well as beginning of the nine course tasting menu. The Langoustine, one of my particular favourites, with some delightful Summer flavours (sweetcorn in various guises, paprika mayonnaise, green tomatoes and lime).

I'm sorry, however, that you didn't enjoy the desserts. As I mentioned on the evening- it's an astute observation on the dichotomy of the savoury and sweet parts of the kitchen, though a shame you didn't enjoy the the difference. We have a hugely creative and talented new pastry chef, Sam, who has recently taken over from our previously equally creative pastry chef and she is gradually making her mark on the menu. Should we have the privilege of welcoming you back again you will, no doubt, see a marked difference which I hope might be more to your liking.

Though you decided on the 9 course tasting menu for £75, we also offer a great Prix Fixe menu of three courses for £50, which I'm sure you would agree is very competitively priced for restaurants at this level and in the area.

I'm genuinely sorry you didn't enjoy the desserts, but I hope that won't stop you from returning some time in the future.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

My husband booked for us to go for dinner on a Friday evening and I'd not heard of the Five Fields previously. What a find! This is a lovely restaurant down a quiet street off the Kings Road, which when you enter has the feel of being in someone's living room with a small number of covers and a quiet but ambient atmosphere. I soon realised this would be a lovely meal, with a lot of staff attending to our every need. We went for the 3 course set menu, which considering the quality of the food (and a number of extra mini courses in between) was good value. All our food was exceptional, a favourite course being the scallop starter and the cod main. The pork belly main was also delicious. all courses looked like a work of art. The desserts were imaginative and refreshingly light, and the caramel truffles served with our coffees were incredible. Would really recommend and am looking forward to a return visit!

3  Thank rhunt85

Dear RHunt85,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your evening with us, and I'm so pleased to hear you and your Husband enjoyed yourselves so much.

The Scallop dish you enjoyed so much is indeed one of my favourites as well- with various textures of cauliflower and pistachio. The Cod too is delicious with cockles, mussels and clams with fregula pasta and blood orange.

I have to admit that the salted hazelnut truffles you enjoyed are my absolute weakness- so I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one!

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.