“Just fantastic at every level”

Ametsa with Arzak Instruction
Ranked #208 of 24,404 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Belgravia
Description: Ametsa, awarded its first Michelin star in September 2013, is a unique collaboration between The Halkin and a team that includes chef Elena Arzak- voted Veuve Clicquot World's Best Female Chef earlier this year - along with her father Juan Mari Arzak, Mikel Sorazu, Igor Zalakain and Xabier Gutierrez. Father and daughter hold three Michelin stars at the original Arzak restaurant in San Sebastian, Spain.
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I visited this restaurant for a 5 courses menue deal and it ended up being one of our best experiences ever in a restaurant so we totally recommend it.

The food was superb. Several diferent small courses but that together were more than enough food. Each of the dishes was a piece of art visually and along with the great flavours they all had marvelous textures combinations. It is vasque food in a very modern interpretation, but all the right flavours are there. Our menue had a combination of fish, lamb, seafood and vegetables. My husband does not eat red meat and they manage to negotiate appropriate alternatives with him to ensure it would meet his expectations. The deserts were very good as well.

The cava and wines recommended by the somelier were all excellent as well.

The place, despite being part of a hotel, manages to have a nice atmosphere with a lovely decorative modern ceiling. The athmosphere is nice and relaxed thanks to nice contemporary music from around the world.

Snd finally one of this restaurant's strongest points: the staff. From the receptionist to the somelier and all the waiters were unbelievable charming and helpfull. There was a sort of flow, like a coreography in which this group of perhaps 6 people were constantly anticipating to all the tables needs. Tables were being cleaned, bread replaced, glasses served before you even tought about it, always in a very fast discreet mode, but at the same time staff were willing to talk and very knowledgeable about their business.

In conclusion, this for me is a must in the London restaurant's list.

2  Thank claudiapacheco
SimonWakefield, General Manager at Ametsa with Arzak Instruction, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear claudiapacheco
Thank you for your fantastic review of Ametsa. So pleased that you enjoyed your experience and that the staff & service were excellent. Do come back soon

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I attended the restaurant yesterday evening for my birthday and can say I was not disappointed in the slightest.

We opted to share our starts and desserts which the waiting staff did not mind at all. The pre starters were simply divine and really opened my eyes to Scorpion fish.

Myself and my partner both opted for the suckling pig which melted in our mouths. words cannot describe just how delicious the food was.

I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.

SimonWakefield, General Manager at Ametsa with Arzak Instruction, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Nathan
Thank you for your "Amazing Ametsa Astounds" review.
do come back and visit us again soon

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Got a really good deal with the tasting menu and the food truly is spectacular and served by charming staff who are really keen that you enjoy every moment of your meal.
I can say we definitely did but the feel of the restaurant doesn't seem in keeping with the exuberance and style of the food (oh those testube bottles of yellow stuff are just weird)

you need deep pockets too, as although we had a great deal from Travelzoo, the overall bill once we added wine was about £250!

Dear LondonLady2
Thank you for your "Incredible" review of Ametsa and so pleased you found that the "food truly is spectacular".
Do come and try the tapas soon

Reviewed April 8, 2014

It's unfortunate that my first review must be such a negative one, however, I feel that I need to inform potential guests of the pros and cons of this relatively new restaurant.

I chose to celebrate my best friend's birthday here based on the reviews here on TA. We were a party of 6 and ordered the Tasting Menu with wine pairings for approximately £150 / head.

On the plus side, all the dishes were beautifully presented. The non-vegetarian courses were generally very good, the most memorable being the langoustine on a bed of seaweed and the tuna with gherkin sauce. Delicious.

However, the problem and where Ametsu seriously let themselves down was when our vegetarian guests were left watching the remainder of the party eat when they were served a course less than us! I have never been to a high end, or self proclaimed high end restaurant or any michelin star restaurant for that matter where the Vegetarian Tasting Menu is designed in such a way that the customer is left with course(s) less than the other diners. This is a very basic yet huge faux pas. Unfortunately, this was only the beginning.

One of the courses served to the Vegetarian diners was a rather bland tofu dish. A more aggressive description would be akin to a wet flannel, which was served luke warm. Most guests at the table tried this dish in disbelief that it was served. We informed a variety of our waiters and waitresses that this dish was almost inedible, and they merely shrugged off the complaint and said the Chef thought it was good to his taste!

Can you imagine complaining about a dish, saying it is inedible and no one actually takes the complaint seriously. Not even a manager came over to offer an explanation or an apology. Nothing. Additionally, we were so shocked that we offered to pay the waitress £100.00 for her to try it and give her honest opinion. Surprisingly, this offer was declined.

Most disappointingly when the bill arrived, they had charged all guests equally, circa £150 / pp even though the vegetarian tasting menu had less courses and one of which was inedible!

Whether it was through arrogance or an air of indifference, their attitude and manner in which they dealt with this most serious of complaints will undoubtedly lead to future problems which is a shame as there is some potential for this restaurant.

3  Thank JTabby

Dear Mr T

Thank you for your review and subsequent email. I am pleased that you have acknowledged that we have resolved the issues you have mentioned above and i look forward to welcoming you back soon. As the Basque cuisine does specialise in meat and fish it is always helpful to know in advance if a guest has an allergy or preference so that we can work around this and ensure they have a great experience of Ametsa. This is particularly important if the table is ordering our tasting menu with eight courses.
Kind Regards

Reviewed April 6, 2014

My wife and I had lunch in this restaurant yesterday and from the outset, the decor, the staff and the food were of the highest quality. It was a special occasion for us as we were celebrating our 39th wedding anniversary and we certainly were not disappointed. Many thanks to all the staff.

3  Thank George B
SimonWakefield, General Manager at Ametsa with Arzak Instruction, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear George B
Thank you taking the time to write such a great review.
Congratulations on your wedding anniversary.