“Excellent with one mistake, well recovered”

Ametsa with Arzak Instruction
Ranked #123 of 23,707 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Belgravia
Description: Ametsa, awarded its first Michelin star in September 2013, is a unique collaboration between The Halkin and a team that includes chef Elena Arzak- voted Veuve Clicquot World's Best Female Chef earlier this year - along with her father Juan Mari Arzak, Mikel Sorazu, Igor Zalakain and Xabier Gutierrez. Father and daughter hold three Michelin stars at the original Arzak restaurant in San Sebastian, Spain.
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We went with friends who had eaten at Arzak so expectations were very high, and in the main we were not disappointed. The set lunch menu starters were all superb, with black ink squid being the highlight. The main cod dish was also wonderful, but the lamb was simply not up to standard, and we had to reject it (something the kitchen should have done). However, they were quickly removed, and a choice of alternative dishes offered. The beef cheek which was chosen was also fantastic, and so the mistake did not spoil our experience. However, this should simply not happen at a Michelin starred restaurant.

1  Thank MikePatx
SimonWakefield, General Manager at Ametsa with Arzak Instruction, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear MikePatx
Thank you for your excellent review and pleased to see we managed to resolve the slip up.
Looking forward to welcoming you back
Best regards

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We went to Ametsa for our 5th wedding anniversary dinner and we had excellent service, really good food with a couple of outstanding dishes. We had the tasting menu and my favorites, the scallops with cassava souffle and the egg with squid noodles, were truly exceptional. As I don't eat meat, I have to say the replacements in the aperitifs (like the anchovies with olives or the cherry tomato) were quite underwhelming.
The clove custard and toasted milk was light and delicious. Servings were on the large side for a tasting menu.
The service was fantastic as the waiting staff were friendly and attentive without being intrusive. The overall experience was very good although slightly overpriced.

SimonWakefield, Manager at Ametsa with Arzak Instruction, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear JFunmiB

Thank you for reviewing Ametsa and for sharing your special day with us.
Great review and we welcome you back soon

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Let's start with the positives: great location, really nice interior (design, space among tables,...), attentive service, very good sommelier. The free tapas appetizer was outstanding and desserts were both creative and tasteful. We enjoyed less the appetizers and the main couses (seafood and fish). Temperature was not right (lukewarm at best) and the dishes were somewhat more complex that they needed to be (losing the taste of the fish itself). We might go back but hopefully the kitchen will be more attentive next time.

SimonWakefield, General Manager at Ametsa with Arzak Instruction, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Dartzeel
Thank you for taking the time to review Ametsa. I appreciate your feedback both the positives and the improvements and do hope to see you again in the future.
Kind Regards

Reviewed November 4, 2013

including the guests who were evidently enjoying themselves. That must say something and, although I was driving - so could not drink which I would normally with a meal like this - we decided to have the very attractive, and attractively priced, tasting menu. I had difficulty finishing - by my standards the fillet steak was huge (and seriously good) - and neither of us are sure why this attracted such lukewarm praise, do I remember downright hostility, on opening? No, it is very good and although some might characterise the service as a touch impersonal I would perhaps say efficient, maybe loosen up a little with the non-Spanish speakers. Wallet Health Warning: wine is pricey.

SimonWakefield, General Manager at Ametsa with Arzak Instruction, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear nickychris
Thank you for taking your time to review Ametsa. Lovely review and we do look forward to welcoming you back for more and a drink (when your not driving).
Many of the team are Spanish but I am English !!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Went to Ametsa to celebrate my husband's birthday and took the tasting menu (by the way the menu was different from the one on the website, which is of course totally fine but don't spend days fantasising about a certain dish like I did before going!).The aperitivos were very nice - in particular the chorizo with mango, which was full of body and surprising tastes inside. The ham and tomato didn't fly with me, but that's a combination I never like so probably down to personal taste. The kataifi with scorpion fish cake tasted a bit common. The starters (3 of them) were very nice. In this section the special mention goes to the egg with squid noodles: that's the sort of taste experience that I was after. Bold, surprising, unique. The mains were very nice but I did not find the same surprising aspects I was after. It was just perfectly cooked and nicely presented. Maybe the portions at this stage were starting to be a bit large for me: one piece of fish rather than two would have made it easier to eat the dishes to follow. The desserts (again 3 of them, including one surprise which isn't mentioned in the menu) were delicious and had more of the subtleties I was after. The matching wines were hit and miss, and on that front I actually prefered the less adventurous choices. The manzanilla with starters really didn't do it for me but all the choices were nicely explained and presented. The décor was - as mentioned in a lot of reviews - worse than I had braced myself for. It would be the Best Western hotel's breakfast room. Terrible chairs and surroundings. BUT: service is oh so delightful. Professional yet friendly, attentive. The sort of service that makes you feel good (unlike most French Michelin-starred restaurants, sorry....). Would definitely go back.

SimonWakefield, General Manager at Ametsa with Arzak Instruction, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear travelnonstop1
Thank you for taking the time to write your "interesting" review of Ametsa. Do let us know when you book your next visit and would love to know which dish you saw on the web that you wanted to try, we are always happy to change the Tasting menu if there is something you were looking forward to.