“Glass Supper”
Review of Hampstead Theatre

Hampstead Theatre
Ranked #390 of 1,815 things to do in London
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our recent evening at Hampstead Theatre to see Glass Supper. First, the production was good so that's a plus in itself but the theatre's facilities are capable of coping with our recent hot weather. So nice to have a little respite from the heat. We were wondering what the basement theatre would be like and were so pleasantly pleased as one cannot concentrate if too hot or cold. The production was so good that my attention didn't wander for an instant. That's quite an achievement. The tickets are reasonably priced (£20) and seating is on padded benches around the scene. All quite cosy yet very professional. Such a joy not to have to trek into the West End. We simply walked to the theatre so cannot comment on public transport or otherwise in regards to ease of journey. This theatre seems to attract some pretty big names so it's a bit of a launching pad for new productions, I would think. Another plus is that we had a full, unimpeded view of the stage and I guess that's down to the seating heights. Great little theatre at very reasonable cost. Do try!

1  Thank Kara2
All reviews
"swiss cottage tube station"
in 10 reviews
"concessions"
"script"
"rows"

Reviewed June 29, 2014

This play had a great review on Front Row so we knew it was one for us. The performances were absolutely brilliant - really intense and completely spell-binding. This was in the downstairs theatre though so no seat reservations on bench style seating - always an annoyance if you are one of the last ones in! However, it didn't spoil the enjoyment of the play as there was not a sound to be heard from the captivated audience. There is a very nice cafe bar area upstairs with friendly staff and a good selection of drinks. This theatre is definitely on our short list for a good night out.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Since discovering this theatre eight months ago, we've been to see five plays. All of them have been excellent, and we're booked up for our sixth in July. We know we can't go wrong at the Hampstead. As well as high quality plays, the theatre itself is a great venue. The seating is fantastic, whether you're at the front or the back. You always get a perfect view. Plus it's right in front of Swiss Cottage tube station, on the Jubilee line, and there's also free parking nearby for evening performances. The bar in the foyer does food and drink, although the food isn't that good for vegetarians, and options are very limited. Meat eaters should be fine, though. And there's outdoor seating at the back, for summer visits. If you want intelligent theatre, away from the astronomically priced West End shows, this is the place to go. We've seen plays about the partition of India, Chinese dissident Ai Wei Wei, feminism, the Kinks, and apartheid South Africa. Can't recommend it highly enough!

1  Thank Amy S
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Only discovered this theatre last year. Have now been three times and each time the show has been great but even better has been the disabled access. I can't get out of my wheelchair so many theatre trips are a misery with me either having a restricted view, having my companion seated away from me, an uncomfortable position ( eg where I am perched on a slope or other patrons are forced to climb over me) and so on. Yet having registered my disability with this theatre ,each time I have been the seating has been excellent and I have been treated like a Queen with staff waiting to greet me, lead me to my seat and ensure that everything is perfect for me. As a regular theatre goer in London the Hampstead Theatre has been my best experience by far.