“Wonderful little authentic Italian hideaway”
Review of Saponara

Saponara
Order Online
Ranked #1,508 of 28,464 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Traditional Italian Pizzeria and Delicatessen, in the heart of Islington . Established in 1989 by the Saponara brothers. Saponara offers authentic , antipasti rustici ,fresh pasta, traditional italian pizza thin an crusty and of course good italian wines , all served in a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere .
Reviewed April 13, 2019 via mobile

Discovered this place by happy accident with a friend and it was really lovely. Delicious authentic Italian favourites, amazing service and atmosphere.

Date of visit: April 2019
Write a reviewReviews (105)

Reviewed April 6, 2019 via mobile

This small, family owned restaurant lives up to the hype, no doubt! Great food, great environment and authentic ingredients. Definitely recommend.

Reviewed April 3, 2019 via mobile

I’d been walking past this shop for months without ever really noticing it. I’m so glad I did today. The tables were up outside and I was tempted to go in. What I found was a treasure trove: a trad Italian deli with tons of lovely food and wine, that’s also a trattoria and pizzeria. The pizzas were great, but the homemade pasta and the selection of wild mushrooms looked fantastic. Will try them next time. It’s been there for 30 years. The decor outside looks a bit rustic, but inside is cosy and welcoming. Cash only.

1  Thank Simonr1295
Reviewed March 31, 2019 via mobile

I visited with my girlfriend last Thursday. The restaurant appears to be a hidden gem, I must admit walking to the restaurant I did wonder if we were in the right place!

It has a nice outdoor area with a couple of tables and then probably around 8-10 tables inside. It is quite a small restaurant, but it did not feel cramped, if anything it just felt very homely. They have some fantastic products there as well that I am pretty sure you can buy.

I had the salami pizza ( I can’t remember the exact name of it) it also had sausage and chilli. I can honestly say it was one of the best pizzas I have ever had, the crust nice and thin, the dough perfect. They were also very generous with the toppings. It was a good size but the ingredients tasted so fresh it did not feel heavy, my girlfriend has some fresh pasta, and before the meal they bring out the pasta choices for that day. She also really enjoyed hers!

We also had the tiramisu for desert which was also fantastic but after eating the mains I knew it would be. The staff so friendly, I think the owner was in there as well walking around the tables making everyone feel special and wanted.

I used to visit Sardinia a lot as a boy, and also loved the food there. It felt like I was in Italy!

Everything is very well priced, the dining experience is second to none.

I have absolutely no complaints, what a restaurant! I will absolutely be going back!

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed March 30, 2019 via mobile

Ordered 3 pizzas through Uber Eats. Paid 44 pounds and we had to trash all the 3 pizzas. I have attached a photo...I do not believe I need to comment further. See by yourselves...

Date of visit: March 2019
Marco S, Owner at Saponara, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2019

Hi Serena,
it looks a bit burnt, do you have any photo of top of the pizza? You should have called us or Uber Eats to arrange a new delivery to replace the pizze. It seems a bit odd you have not asked for a refund.

Regards