Tripadvisor

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Knightsbridge
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Like a lot of large London hotels, they have to find imaginative ways of finding customers for the restaurant. Hotel guests expect them to provide decent food even on a quiet Thursday so the kitchen has to be open every day. To get more bums on seats they offer a very good value 3 course lunch with a small glass of wine. Their offer is available via the two best known voucher companies. Service was friendly and helpful and there is a huge glass roof above the restaurant on the first floor which makes it surprisingly warm even on a cloudy day. The dumplings were excellent as were the noodles and the vegetarian dishes and the rather un-Chinese tarte tatin was also excellent. A complete nonsense is their policy of refusing to sell additional glasses of the house wine which comes with the set menu. We were informed that we had to order different wine from the wine menu. Bizarre.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (271)

Reviewed January 15, 2020 via mobile

I treated my girlfriend to an anniversary dinner and we’ve both loved it.

The staff (Lawrence and Esteban) were both fantastic, very polite and friendly people, though we mainly had Esteban. Esteban was also excellent in making sure we were happy with everything - he is a great example to the meaning of customer service and people skills!

The food was fantastic, best Chinese I’ve had - beats Wonkei hands down! My girlfriend ordered the Salt & Pepper squid for starter and I wished I went for that too - my starter was very nice (don’t get me wrong!) but I just love squid and thought I’d try something else.

The kitchen crew and Esteban deserve every penny of my tip! I wish them well and we hope to go back again sometime soon!

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed December 5, 2019 via mobile

I arrived at the reception of the restaurant but was ignored by Vincy, the front of house lady, in favour of a group behind me who she seemed to recognise. She proceeded to seat them and lay them a new table. Although she did subsequently return to the desk during this task to inform us she wouldn’t be “long”, it took a total of 8 minutes for her to finally come back to us, register our reservation and seat us. To put this in context there were only two other tables occupied in the restaurant during this rigmarole.

Fortunately once seated our service was taken over by Esteban who is one of the kindest and most considerate waiters I have come across. The food itself was lovely and represents good value for money especially bearing in mind its location.

I can only hope that Esteban received all of the discretionary service charge which we paid in cash- he deserves to go far. Vincy on the other hand would benefit from some remedial training in hospitality in order to continue in her chosen profession as she sets a poor standard to an otherwise lovely hotel and chain.

In summary, the food is great but unfortunately my experience of the overall service is in line with previous reviews and leaves much to be desired.

Date of visit: December 2019
3  Thank bobonthewire
Reviewed November 24, 2019

Really good food in a nice quiet atmosphere. Service was unobtrusive and really efficient. Esteban was very friendly and helpful and the whole evening was delightful.
Will return as soon as possible.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed November 16, 2019

Worst service ever. Ignored was it because we had a Groupon voucher????
Table of 7 ladies went for luck told as it was two vouchers could not sit together. So put in two different table one round one oblong. As one did not show merged into one round table
We moved chairs ,cutlery, glasses, etc no help
Service appalling waited while other people came after us and were served.
Food was good once we got it but 3 hours to get lunch served?
Then they forgot to bill us for the wine that’s how useless they were. Deserve to go out of business.
Not a clue don’t bother better places to eat

Date of visit: November 2019