“Chicken Burger Heaven!!!!! Best in London”
Review of Translate

Ranked #2,453 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Set within an old veneer warehouse, Translate is a brick-walled, concrete-floored haven of food, drink and enjoyment, bang in the middle of Shoreditch. With a wonderful selection of cocktails, a strong and reliable food menu, as well as a coffee shop annexed to the main room, Translate is the perfect venue any time of day. Driven by a commitment to great products, friendly service and the best tunes at all times, Translate is a great spot for everybody and is ideal for daytime coffee and food, or evening drinks- but be warned, the party really gets going here - even during the week! Highlights are the Tuesday night Quiz, Mojito Monday and Popalong Sunday, a tribute to the best of the worst pop music there is! Booking an area for your party is free - but we do often get completely booked up for the weekend nights, as we are the birthday specialists! All you have to do is bring your cocktail appreciation and dancing shoes! See you at the bar x
“Chicken Burger Heaven!!!!! Best in London”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I stumbled down the Shoreditch High Street and crossed into the Kingsland Road as I had heard raves about this place. It occurred to me that only good (and by good, I mean seriously decent) tunes were allowed to be played throughout this cafe bar. From The Ramones to Barry White, maybe the word on the street weren't just whispers.

Even better as the sign outside reads happy hour(s) every day 4-9pm. £4.50 Cocktails and £3 a Pint is good enough for anyone close to Liverpool Street / Old Street.

As I entered theres a little coffee shop on the left hand side, which seems a huge hit with the passers by, serving fresh pastries and coffee to order.

As we sat down we were welcomed with a smile. It seems that to be employed by this place, you have to sit a multiple choice questionnaire of 'how cool are you' and score a minimum of 94.3%. The girls are extremely chatty and the guys are 'geezas'. 2 pints please.

After scanning the menu, of which had the right amount of choice (I hate when there are 40 things to choose) I decided on the chicken burger because I like a risk... and they are hard to perfect. Everyone knows, cook it slightly too much, its dry..too little...and it's a trip to the Royal London via Air Ambulance.
We waited around 10 mins, then the food arrived.

I don't know how to put this without sounding like I should be dancing around to Michael Flatley's - River Dance, to the beat of Faithless - Insomnia. It is by far the best thing I have eaten in a very very long while. The chicken was perfect, mixed with a hint of tomato, caramelised onion heaven and oh... wait... I think thats the pesto coming through, topped off with a slice of bacon. It was seriously not what I expected from a "cafe bar"

I would fully recommend eating here if you are looking for a place to eat where you can spend as much or as little time you want, and be welcomed with open arms.

Cool bar staff, great music, great food, banter and beers... What more could you want from a place in Shoreditch...

I'll be going back ....JUST to make sure it wasn't a fluke....

Thanks Guys
Joel - Whitechapel

• Visited August 2014

London, England, United Kingdom
“So bad”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I went here today with 2 friends for lunch. We work in the area and all 3 of us were seriously hungry. The menu looked good we ordered the starter platter - nachos, chicken wings, prawns and squid and a small Caesar salad and a Heisenburger all to share.

For staters the food took ages to come. It wasn't very busy in there so this was mystifying.
When the food finally arrived it was the beginning of a nightmare. The salad was ok and the nachos were pretty standard and oddly came with a side of really hard bread. We thought it was supposed to be the garlic bread with the starters but there was no hint of garlic.

The burger was probably the easiest to eat although it was over cooked and the patty was all broken, charred and dry.

Then the starters platter which we ended up barely touching. The prawns were absolutely hideous. Smelt off and we're really bland. The chicken wings were the worst part - just deep fried wings with no seasoning or sauce except a "blue cheese dip" that tasted nothing of cheese but more like some generic white sauce from a vat. The wings tasted really old and from frozen. Bad quality meat. The squid were coated in a thick batter that also tasted of nothing and had covered up the texture of squid completely.

We were in there for so long waiting for the worst meal I've had in ages. It was pretty obvious that we were disappointed but the waiting staff didn't even ask if everything was ok or notice that we had barely eaten anything. The waitress was pretty rude and looked pissed off that we existed. She balanced the bill on one of our dishes that still had food on it.

Also everything is served on wooden chopping boards. Even the salad. So basically nothing fit on the table which just made the whole meal even more uncomfortable.

As a chef and restauranteur, I really can't believe the chef allowed these monstrosities to leave his/her kitchen. This was a truly depressing experience.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Melissa F
Translate B, Owner at Translate, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Hi Melissa,

In truth, we are mortified about this review and are so sorry that you had this experience. Everything negative aspect that you experienced is under review - and we are appalled that you were served food that was such poor quality.

Our chef has been off with an injury last week and we had an agency chef to cover - but the fact is that we were serving food, and this is not good enough.

Please accept our apologies, and we will strive to ensure that all food produced, at all times, is of the high standard that we and our customers expect.

We hope that you will come again, and if you do please be sure to make yourself known! I can assure you that we are better than your experience suggests.

Kind regards,

The Translate Team
london
“I love this place!”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I have been here repeatedly since it re-opened, and I am always impressed. Be it for food, coffee or nights out it is always fun and the staff are welcoming and really make the place what it is. You get a great mix of people and the atmosphere is buzzing. Thanks!

• Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
“The best place in the world!”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I had such a great time at Translate, the food was delicious and was delivered by the wonderful staff who made us feel welcome and comfortable! This place has a great atmosphere I can't wait to come along again and dance to some sweet sounds!! Cheers!

• Visited June 2014
Translate B, Owner at Translate, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Hey - thanks for the great review. We would dispute that we are the best place in the world, but definitely appreciate your rhetoric!

We're working hard to make sure that the food is always awesome, and the staff here are employed on behalf of their friendly way - so we're so delighted you noticed!

Big cheers, The Translate Team.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Very tasty veg burger!”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I went to London for the weekend with my other half and we decided to have a wander around Shoreditch as I have never been before and wanted to see what it was like. We popped into this place for lunch.

The veg burger was one of the tastiest I have ever eaten and the chips were scrummy too. My boyfriend had the Heisenburger burger and said it was the tastiest burger he had ever eaten! The service was quick, but you could tell everything was fresh.

Much, much better that the £10 burger I ate in Covent Garden which was cheap, nasty and should have cost about 20p.

Visited June 2014
Translate B, Owner at Translate, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Hello and thanks for the review! We've worked hard at making sure the veggie burger can compete with its meatier cousins.

We love to hear this sort of feed back and it's great to hear you enjoyed yourselves. Let's keep up the good work!

CHEERS