“Plate-lickingly good.”

Bonnie Gull Seafood Shack
Ranked #127 of 23,030 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish, British
Neighborhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Fresh, sustainable, British day-boat seafood, served on small plates. A concise exciting wine list all available by glass & bottle. Ska and reggae soundtrack. Buzzy vibrant seafood joint with chefs serving customers directly over the bar in the compact open kitchen. Expect a showcase of the best seafood from British shores, a daily changing menu and plenty of cooking theatre!
“Plate-lickingly good.”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Booked a table for two, based on a Twitter link as I love sea food. This lovely little gem of a restaurant did not disappoint. Faultless service, perfectly cooked and presented food - made for a lovely evening. They have the decor spot on, somewhere between seaside chic and quirkiness.

Didn't have a starter as we were eating early, but both the mains were fantastic, I had the hake which had sweetcorn and potato gnocchi with it and my partner had the battered fish and chips. What really sets this place apart though is the fact that they go the extra little mile to make the food different without being pretentious. They know what goes together - basil jelly with their Eton mess for example, lifted it from the ordinary to the sublime. Would definitely go here again.

• Visited July 2014

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Intimate space, fun atmosphere, great service and welcoming service!”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I recently went to Bonnie Gull with some friends for dinner. We had reservations for four people but they were kind enough to squeeze in one more as we had a friend join along the way. Bonnie Gull met my requirements for a great meal out. First of all, the space was well designed. It was the feel of a nice restaurant without being stuffy. The food was of high quality but at a reasonable price. The service was attentive, friendly and knowledgeable. We will definitely be back!

“A bonnie feast”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Having heard excellent reviews about this gem of a restaurant, I'd wanted to visit for quite some time. The perfect opportunity arose and I hastily booked a table. From the moment we entered, the service was flawless. Friendly, efficient yet utterly relaxed, despite the restaurant bursting with happy customers on the inside and an envious bunch of people eagerly eyeing up our table from outside. Each fishy mouthful was scrumptious... my only regret being that I wish I'd skipped lunch so that maybe, just possibly, I'd have had enough room for one of their delicious sounding desserts. Och well, at least I'll know for the next time... and oh, how I cannot wait until the next time! Thank you!

Rochester, United Kingdom
“Sea Food Excellence - Get it Here!”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

I was searching on Trip Advisor for a seafood restaurant for my wife and I and came across the Bonnie Gull. To say we were impressed was an understatement.

The place is located on a street corner on the back of Oxford Circus and I would imagine is well used by the locals.

It has an attractive front and tables are outside which on a hot day is a real blessing. Even so, the restaurant has sash windows that were all open when we visited. We chose to sit inside as it was a little breezy outside and we had the place to ourselves for the entire stay as everyone else opted to sit outside.

The waitress (didnt get her name) was excellent, offering lots of advice on the dishes that were available as they change every day based on what fish is available.

The dishes all looked so good, my wife opted for the Oysters and Ihad the fish soup which was probably the best I have had. So much so that my wife kept dipping in.

We both had a traditional fish and chips which may be a surprise but being our first experience here we were a little cautious. We needn't of been the food was excellent.

We shall return with friends, this place ranks among the top restaurants we have been to and there have been lots.

North Yorkshire
“A quirky restaurant, with excellent food”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

We were staying just north of Oxford Street and wanted to eat within walking distance, and fancied some seafood. Using trusty Trip Advisor we found this and thought we would try it - excellent decision. We didn't book and were very lucky to get a table (more of this later) especially as it was raining so the outside area was unusable.

When I say a table, we nabbed two places at the counter. There was plenty of space for food but I must say that the stools were abysmally uncomfortable - I spent much of the night standing to ease my back. I'm not sure why, but the rungs on the stools seemed to be in the wrong place, and although there was a ledge in front that was too high. Still, it genuinely was worth the discomfort to enjoy the food.

For our main courses I had seabass with courgette puree, seafood stuffed courgette flower and samphire, with some rosemary fries. This was all absolutely delicious, and my only slight misgiving was that, as suggested on other reviews, the main dish was tepid on arrival. My husband had a whole Dorset cock crap with sourdough toast - and thought he had gone to heaven - he declared it superb! We had a bottle of muscadet and a carafe of tap water.

Service throughout was friendly and excellent, as was the atmosphere with friendly fellow guests. It seemed to be mainly locals and we were very pleased to have stepped off the tourist trail.