“All things delicious at Wabi”
Review of Wabi - CLOSED

Wabi
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Holborn
Reviewed February 6, 2013

One of the great things about London is that the restaurant scene is ever changing. Wabi launched it’s London restaurant before Christmas and I have been wanting to go ever since. They had great reviews so my expectations were high.
The head chef is Scott Hallsworth, ex Nobu chef and the write ups have been very good. Heading there the other day I could not wait to try it. The menu has a range of interesting looking combinations and flavors.
The door is very discreet in Holborn, I almost walked past it at first. Once inside you are enveloped in a lovely and luxurious feeling, being so well looked after as soon as you open the door to go inside!

We did order quite a few dishes but my favorite was perhaps the soba pancakes with king crab and puffed soba, that was a a perfect balance of flavors and the soft textures from the pancake and the king crab against the puffed wheat was just a delight!

For more details and pics read more here: http://petra08.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/wabi-a-lovely-foodie-experience/

Reviewed February 4, 2013

If you do think paying an expensive bill makes a restaurant better than others, don´t keep on reading then. I have to admit that this place has a charming atmosphere, with a modern japanese decoration and a very helpful staff, in other words they know how to create a good ambience. Nevertheless that´s all positive stuff I can say about the restaurant. The food quality without being very bad doesn´t deserve the fame it has across all the comments on webpages, it´s only average, as I can tell better things at least in ten japanese restaurants I have visited than here. Food quantity is ridiculous, and don´t tell me that Japanese restaurants are like that, because I have visited a lot of them. I had to have dinner at home after leaving the restaurant, and this is something I cannot forgive.
And of course the worst thing is the price, a GBP 75 degustation menu is a joke, no matter how much money you have if you are still hungry after finishing.
Anyway you can visit and make an idea yourselves, but prepare a B Plan just in case you don´t want to starve.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We actually went to Wabi in the basement of Club Quarters hotel, Lincolns Inn Fields. We love the hotel, but balked at the thought of a restaurant in the basement run by someone else. However, on a visit in December they were offering free samples of food, so on the most recent visit we decided to eat there.

The restaurant is the kind of sleek, modernist, slightly overdecorated place we don't like, but we were pushed for time and stayed.

The staff were pleasant, attentive, and enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the food. The food itself was stunning; tasty, subtle, complex, and beautifully presented. The wine list was wide ranging, both in geography and price.

I could write reams, but suffice to say we are returning soon, and planning an extra night just to eat there.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

First time for us at Wabi but I'm sure we will be back. It is not the best location compared to some of its peers. It would be easy to compare to Zuma and Nobu as well and I think it is as good in many areas but in many ways, the comparison is unfair as they are not in the same location and offer something similar but with subtle differences in very diverse locations.

All of the food was delicious, well presented, amazing. Definitely the culinary experience will not disappoint.

It perhaps lacks some of the theatre or drama of Nobu and Zuma - the busy at all times, slightly manic atmosphere. Others will say that is a good thing.

Service was pretty good but not exceptional and that is the only reason I'm going for 4 stars instead of 5. Of course it not a cheap place but the food is worth it, with slightly better service I would have rated it slightly higher.

But I know we will be back - a great place with wonderful food.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I was given a voucher by American Express Centurion to experience this restaurant. I would not have gone to this restaurant without the recommendation and voucher but I am pleased that I did. having said that my dining friend and I were not massively hungry so we shared the tasting menu between us which was £75. If you are used to eating Japanese food then you will know what to do, we were novices and had to rely on the waiting staff to guide us which they did to some extent but when we opted to share the tasting menu the decision was taken away. It was actually very good indeed but if you are hungry I suggest that the tasting menu is only for one person.

The choice of wines was very good indeed and our evening was very enjoyable. the restaurant was very busy and the food excellent. The waiting staff, the sommelier and the welcome were excellent and we enjoyed out evening.

Would we go again? I am not sure, it is very expensive and although I could not fault what we had and the service we received, I think that tis restaurant would only attract people who understand Japanese food. Having said that it was packed.

If you are an American Express Centurion Member and receive the voucher, go and experience the restaurant but expect to have to pay double the value of your voucher if you eat normally and have a bottle of wine.

My Summary?
If you love and understand Japanese food and are willing to pay high prices for it then go to this restaurant. The food and the service are excellent but I would not expect to pay these prices in Holborn at this kind of restaurant.

2  Thank HotelBloke