“Amazing Mad hatters tea!”

Mad Hatters Tea at Sanderson
Reserve with OpenTable
Mad Hatters Tea at Sanderson is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,177 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Sanderson invites you to tumble down the rabbit hole for the 150th anniversary of Alice in Wonderland and enjoy all the splendour of a Mad Hatter's Afternoon Tea. Discover menus hidden inside vintage books, teapots adorned with kings and queens, sandwich plates decorated with birdcages, carousels and ticking clocks upon which rest savoury, specialty sandwiches. Classic Cucumber, Goat Cheese Croque-Monsieur, White Crab Eclairs are all created for guests with specially selected ingredients to delight the senses. The ending is as divine as the start. Choice is unending, but a few hints follow forthwith... Scones are sinful, the red velvet Ladybird Cake inspires tears of culinary joy, and time stops when tasting our chocolate-coated, coffee-flavoured Pocket-Watch Macaroons. The star attraction, however, is our collection of Sanderson-Exclusive Teas. In celebration of the sesquicentennial anniversary of Lewis Carroll's classic novel, Sanderson is simply giddy to introduce 5 new, tailor-made teas inspired by the characters of this beloved story. "Alice" has transformed into China Black Tea infused with hints of blackcurrant, vanilla, caramel, citrus, bergamot, blue cornflowers and blue mallow flowers. These are now available to purchase at £12-15 each. The Mad Hatter's Afternoon Tea at Sanderson will continue to evolve, with elements and flavours changing seasonally. Tea is served daily and is priced between £48 and £65 per person excluding service, £35 per child for children 4-11 years old. On Valentine's weekend, Mother's Day weekend and other special holiday weekends, Mad Hatter's Afternoon Tea is priced from £58 per person for special packages.
Hermosillo, Mexico
“Amazing Mad hatters tea!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

We enjoyed this traditional tea, in a modern twist at this hipster hotel.
We had it in the patio,with a nice garden and natural light. The waitress took care of us the two hours there,and she was very nice and friendly. She explain us since the beggining on how to order, to the description of the pastrys and sandwiches.
All was delightfull! I think the sandwiches were average, but since all the other food was excellent, well presentated and very different,with the service and quality, I give them 5 stars of excellent.
My favorite sweet treat was the scoone with the clotted cream an jam, and the clock cake.

1 Thank Cristina F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Mad Hatter's tea party - An easter delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

I surprised my girlfriend with this after a tour of london in the morning and am so pleased I picked Easter weekend to go! We were met at the door to the hotel by the wite rabbit and escorted through. He was fantastic and really made the afternoon.

The food service was delightful a range of sandwiches and so many different cakes, accompanied by a chocolate cocktail that was delightful. My only comment was that there was too much sweet stuff on the plate, being a fan of savoury rather than sweet would have preferred more sandwiches but as my girlfriend delightfully put it is a tea party! The service was excellent throughout as well. For adults this is a great way to spend an afternoon, (we retired to the bar for cocktails), however would disappoint children as, apart from the white rabbit and the eat me cake and drink me bottle, there are no references to the story. Bearing that in mind, the drink me bottle is worth the trip alone!

2 Thank EnglishKnight2010
Windsor
“Call that a Mad Hatters Tea Party! I don't think so!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

For all Parents, don't take your Children, they may never forgive you!

Having told my 6 year Daughter of the "Mad Hatters Tea Party". You can imagine her excitement and anticipation! Well, imagine her disappointment if you can, no characters dressed up, no area decorated like Alice in Wonderlands World! Only two other children, no surprises there, perhaps the word has spread Not Children Friendly.

Then the Afternoon Tea arrived, finger sandwiches unappetising, barely any fillings and curling at the corners! The bill came wrong, charged 2 adults, and my drink complimentary however not my Daughters! At which point, I just paid and left. As I could see my daughter was completely disappointed and getting upset! On meeting my husband outside, my daughter ran into his arms and burst into tears! Her words not mine "What a waste of Money" I will be writing to Kevin Rockey General Manger!

2 Thank Amanda T
london
“mad haters afternoon tea for a hen do”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

Place nicely decorated, food nice (in particular the scones) but service let the whole afternoon/evening down. We had to wait way too long for our drinks order to be taken when we got there and then when it was obvious we were getting low we still had to ask for another service, which again took a while to come. There were errors or miscommunications as well, for instance wrong quantities of each different type of tea. I don't think I'd mind as much if you weren't charged a 15% service charge but because of this, you expect an extremely high standard of service. Also temperature was a problem, people were either too cold because of the draft or too hot as they were too close to the heaters. I still had a good time and it was a good and slightly different interpretation of afternoon tea but I know from previous experiences of afternoon tea in other london hotels that there are better places than the Sanderson for afternoon tea.

London, United Kingdom
“You HAVE to experience the afternoon tea!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

Wow! What can I say about the Sanderson hotel that will try and make it sound as good as it is?!! For my 21st birthday my mum organised for my boyfriend and myself to go and have the Mad hatters afternoon tea for 2.30 pm. Now the location of the hotel in itself is fantastic. It is literally a 2 minute walk from Oxford Street tube station and is on a nice fairly quiet road.

When you walk into the hotel is is bright and airy and it has beautiful features and furniture (like the bright red lip sofa.) We were around half an hour early so we decided to have a drink at the famous 'Long Bar'. The drinks menu was amazing, we were struggling to pick what to have! My boyfriend ordered an oriental daiquiri and I had a mojito. Both drinks tasted incredible but the oriental daiquiri was by far the best cocktail I have ever tasted!! We don't go to places like this very often as we are still young and my boyfriend is at university but we were both happy to say we thought the £30 for two drinks were worth every penny.

When 2.30 arrived we hopped off our stools and walked less than a metre away to the courtyard where it is covered with curtains and you 'step inside the rabbit hole'. When we were taken to our seats I have to admit I was a little disappointed. We weren't sat next to the water feature (which surrounds the courtyard), but nether the less we were so close my boyfriend told me not to let it bother me or worry. The table was clean, and the sun was pouring in through the sunroof- it was gorgeous! I sat on one of the lovely sofa benches and my boyfriend was on a chair overlooking me onto the water and other tables. It was very busy for the day of the week (a thursday) but what I loved about it was the fact it wasn't noisy or over bearing. It was very peaceful and I felt relaxed. All the waiters and waitress's are lovely, kind and very friendly. I honestly have nothing bad to say about this place.

I don't want to talk about the actual food itself just because it is a lovely surprise when it all comes out. Every last sip and crumb was to die for and it was beautifully presented! What I loved the most was halfway through our tea a waitress came out with a slate plate and the chef had put a chocolate cupcake with a candle on and decorated the plate in 'happy birthday' with fruit with delicious compote sauce. It made my day! What a lovely surprise :) Customer service at its very best!

The tea is priced at £35 a head and then a 15% service charge which is more than reasonable and again worth every penny! Even though we were the youngest there we were treated like everyone else - very often in other restaurants we are treated poorly!

This place is very special and if you are thinking of going, don't think just book!! I think it is great for anyone, if you are having a birthday, hen do, baby shower or just wind up down the rabbit hole after a long days shopping :)

Thank you to the staff at the Sanderson for an unforgettable 21st birthday!

Been to Mad Hatters Tea at Sanderson? Share your experiences!