“Great restaurant and bar, pushy waitresses”
Review of COYA Mayfair

COYA Mayfair
Ranked #735 of 23,234 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Award winning Coya has been bringing the spirit of Latin America to the heart of Mayfair since November 2012. Located in a listed Georgian building Coya comprises a members' club with a terrace, a main restaurant and our Pisco Bar. Main restaurant: The downstairs restaurant features an open ceviche bar where diners can sit and enjoy a wide range of classic ceviches and tiraditos which are freshly prepared. A robata grill brings ox heart, duck breast and tiger prawns along with vegetables, poultry and seafood. For something sweet, try our sundae de maiz (sweetcorn ice cream). Pisco Bar: A vibrant bar serving the finest cocktails Latin America has to offer. Pisco Bar's team has scoured the best bars in Lima to fine-tune the famous pisco sour and create a menu of pisco-based cocktails and infusions that are second to none. One of their most popular is the chilli margarita. Pisco Bar open for Bar food all day from 12noon until 0:30 am. Members' club: Art, music and culture come together from all over Latin America, the UK and beyond, creating an experience that is both unique and exciting for Coya's global members, having the opportunity to enjoy live music and performances five nights per week, along with a dedicated art collective of events.
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Lovely place to take friends, sharing dishes, nice food and lovely bar, kind of a hotspot, but what is going on with the pushy staff!! As we looked at the venue, waitress suggested that she orders for us, make a menu for us by herself. After we expressed our desire to order ourself, she just ignored it and pushed into ordering for us. I believe we refused some dishes she suggested and somehow they still appeared on the table. The biggest surprise was when they brought the dessert even though we did not order any. She then came and said that she took the liberty to order desserts for us. Restaurant is always booked up, I do not know why they feel they have to push this way. Being greedy does never pay off. I have no doubt she makes commission if she sells certain amount. We did not appreciate it and were very annoyed by it. And you do not like to be annoyed at the place like this, you want to enjoy your dinner. I suggest they stop doing that immediately.

There are newer reviews for COYA Mayfair

Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is in a posh area opposite Green Park. The clientele dressed smart and pretty. The food is very good. It is like tapas with a lot of citrus taste and lots of meat dishes. We shared the food among 4 of us. Wine list is extensive and we chose a Chillian red.
Everything was fine except it was very noisy as it was crowded with people waiting at the bar area.
After food, we wanted to order desert but was told that we need to return the table. We are only allowed to have 2 hrs on the table but no one informed us when we booked the table. After talking to the manager, we are "allowed" to have desert. It was not pleasant and it was not cheap.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Well what can I say! From the off I was greeted by two extremely helpful gentlemen who offered me the 'Members Only' lounge or the restaurant for lunch and told me to 'check them both out' to see what I preferred. I chose the bar to start with a Classic Old Fashioned to wet the lips. 5/5

Moving into the restaurant both the decor and lighting were spot on and instantly the service was attentive and non intrusive.

I let the waiter order for us and boy were we blown away by the selection. 2 cerviche dishes, tuna tartare and salmon, then the Rib eye (incredible flavour and perfectly cooked). They forgot the skewers but we had more than enough also leaving room for fondunata(?) #4 and popcorn sundae deserts.

Don't get me wrong, it's not cheap, but it was well worth it for the quality of the food and service. Sushi samba can only dream of being this good.!!!!

2  Thank regulartraveller2007
Reviewed August 11, 2013

As taste experiences go, this is up there with the best. The various small dishes are absolutely outstanding, and probably more spectacular than the mains. That said, our main courses were excellent, but we could certainly have had a marvellous time with just a series of small dishes, meze-style.

The food is outstanding, with service and atmosphere to match, so what of the rest ? The wine list is extensive, though very and overly expensive. There are some more reasonably-priced bottles, but not a great many. Show-offs will pay dearly for their lack of knowledge !

Seating is rather cramped, so it is worth calling and asking for a particular table. Some of the seating at tables in the bar area is on backless stools, so avoid these if comfort is an issue.

The only bad experience associated with this visit was the e-mailed follow-up confirmation-
message, which I received on the day of the booking. 'If I was not back in touch to re-confirm by 4.00pm my table might be reallocated.' This kind of arrogance is not acceptable, and I was tempted to cancel on principle. I realise that 'no shows' are an industry problem, but there are ways and ways of addressing customers, and this is not how to do it !

As it turned out I was very pleased that I did not cancel, and we will certainly be back, but I do hope that they will sort out their electronic communications.

1  Thank Peter H
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I dined at this restaurant with my sister and brother-in-law whilst visiting them for the weekend. I can only describe the food, experience, waiting staff etc. as amaaaaazing!!! This is probably one of the best meals I've EVER had! From the tuna ceviche, the gambas, or the sirloin steak cooked to my taste (medium) in a traditional Peruvian oven which left a salty, crusty exterior to the steak, which also came with two different types of dressing/sauce, and even the patatas bravas were the best I've ever had. They were soft in the middle, and had a crispy exterior. I cannot fault anything about this restaurant. The sommelier recommended a red wine which unfortunately I didn't take a note of, but drank plenty of it because it was so light and delicious. My sister and I also ordered dessert which was sheer greed. I had a citrus tart which rounded the meal off perfectly. I would recommend ordering a range of starters to share around the table. That's what we did and it meant there were more dishes to try. I'd rush back here in a heartbeat.