“Great decor, loved the food”
Review of Mash Steak House

Mash Steak House
Ranked #437 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Danish, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: WELCOME TO MASH LONDON MASH is located in the lower ground floors of the former Regent Palace Hotel which dates back to 1915, it was the largest hotel in Europe at that time.Upon arrival you will be greeted by a very MODERN AMERICAN STEAK HOUSE design of restaurant, bringing the venue into modern day times.Glide down the magnificent suspended staircase which is draped in luxurious red carpet, where our reception team will greet you and effortlessly guide you through the art deco venue. We welcome you to the MASH adventure. Our Private Dining Room Accommodates a maximum of 18 people , Our Semi Private Dining room Accommodates a maximum of 24 people Total restaurant seating area: 350 Total restaurant area: 450 for a standing reception For inquiries, Please contact our reservations and events department for further information between 9 am and 6 pm - Mon-Saturday.
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I ate here recently with a large corporate group, and every person really enjoyed their meal. We ordered off the pre-theatre menu, and supplemented it with additional starters and sides for the table to share. The benefit of this was having the opportunity to try lots of different dishes!

To start, the meat from the charcuterie plate was delicious - the serrano ham was melt in the mouth gorgeous. The ceaser salad was just ceaser salad, you can't say too much about that one really. I also tried the veal sweetbreads which were LOVELY. This is something I haven't eaten before, and probably wouldn't have risked ordering it - if I come back though, this is most likely what I will order. Saying that though, the tuna tartare with avocado was also really good!!

We tried the MASH margharitas with the starter, and I can highly recommend these as well. Lovely fresh taste to them. The table also sank a few bottles of malbec during the course of the meal, which was a nice red to complement the steak.

Every person ordered steak, and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it - it was cooked to perfection. No complaints here, it was good quality and the fat was cooked properly as well. We had quite a few different sides, the chilli fries were nice, as were the onion rings. The fried jalapenos were good, and the creamed spinach was great.

For dessert, quite a few people had the ice cream which they enjoyed. I tried the creme brulee with passionfruit sorbet and it was delicious - I was so full by this point though that I could only eat half of it.

The staff were really attentive, and looked after our every need. I can definitely recommend this place, and will return.

Mash L, Guest Relations Manager at Mash Steak House, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

WOW! What an amazing review! I am so pleased you found the time to post it. MASH is perfect for large groups. You must have been in one of our huge private dining rooms.

I"m delighted you thought your meat was cooked to perfection and so lovely to hear you tried sweetbreads for the first time. It sounds like your group had a wonderful time.

We do hope to see you again soon.

Thanks again.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Here's a tip. More time ensuring standards and less time taking honest reviewers to task on this site. I hate doing a bad review. I rarely have to. But our experience is reflected here too often to be a one-off. The space is impressive, but sorry this has to be about the steak. I grew up on a beef cattle property. I know my meat. I have dined in top steakhouses in major cities the world over and am not daunted by the price .. Unless the value proposition is flawed. Uncooked fat. Gristle. Sinew. Two different cuts. Both flawed. Talk to your supplier. And recommend the chef send it back so the diners don't have to. And yes, before you ask in your response, we made our concern clear to the server. I had three other corporate meals in London this trip. The other two got five stars.

4  Thank J0hnnyG13

Thank you for your post. We do try and write honest helpful responses to posts and never deliberately take our guests to task over anything they say.

I'm sorry you did not have good experience with us but pleased you did talk to your waiter at the time. I hope we dealt with your complaint satisfactorily.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

Went with friends for dinner on a Friday night. Its a VERY large restaurant 2 floors under ground. The décor is great, service was great and the food very good. Steaks are comparable to Gaucho Grill's in quality but more expensive.

Our wine was £45 a bottle so be careful what you order or your bill could treble.

We had a main and drink each and a coffee and it was approx. £67 per head, so its really more on the expensive side for what you're eating. The staff were very attentive but the tip was built in, so you'd expect them to be.

Overall, I'd probably rather go to a Gaucho Grill, but its a nice one-off experience.

We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for finding the time to post your review. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

The good part of the experience is the impressive entry space and the marvelous,attentive staff. But,for me the restaurant itself just lacked atmosphere. It is a huge space so that I felt overwhelmed. The starter & steak were average,the wine we had was fantastic. Prices were:Gin £8,starters approx £9 & the Danish ribeye £33. Sides of mash/chips were £4.50 and a 3 scoop ice cream was £7.

Mash L, Guest Relations Manager at Mash Steak House, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

I'm so pleased you were so well looked after by our team when you visited MASH.

The restaurant interior has been designed to include booths to ensure guests do not feel overwhelmed by the 350 capacity restaurant.

Much of the feedback we receive on TripAdvisor is about the wonderful atmosphere in the restaurant.

I do hope you will come back and try us again very soon.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

It really was...inedible.

Arranged to connect with a colleague from overseas for a dinner last night. We were really looking forward to a decent steak in London so booked MASH well in advance.

Positives - The restaurant is a terrific space. The greeting was friendly. Our table was comfortable. Our waiter was excellent. We had one beer each - cold and flavoursome - perfect. Our Tuna Tartare starter was very good. The bread served was fresh and the butter was at the correct temperature - amazing how often it isn't in even good restaurants. Our red wine selection was excellent. But then the steak arrived...

I ordered the Danish Dry Aged Long Bone Ribeye. It was in one word, appalling. It was completely cold in the middle, it was rubbery, tasteless, it was full of incredibly tough grizzle, the fat was still firm not melted away, it was almost impossible to cut, it was served on a cold plate....I could go on.

I ate about 10% of it then just gave up. I showed it to the waiter who seemed genuinely shocked at the state of it. I pointed out the middle, the toughness, the grizzle. I could tell he was stunned. In fairness to him, he offered to change it for something else and immediately told us we wouldn't be charged - couldn't be charged for it. I declined another steak offering - my appetite for a steak from the same restaurant had vanished.

I've eaten magnificent steaks in some of the best restaurants on 4 continents. CUT in LA just a few weeks ago as an example - magnificent meat. MASH though was quite frankly, shocking. How can a supposedly prime steak restaurant prepare and serve such an awful piece of meat?

My dining companion knows a thing or two about restaurants, seeing as their partner runs 5 star resorts in the southern hemisphere. And even my companion was stunned. Says it all really.

What a disaster.

2  Thank Andy N

Thank you for finding the time to write your review.

I don’t know quite what to say other than how sorry we are you were unhappy with your steak. You chose the steak that defines our restaurant. The Danish Long-bone is taken from Prime Danish beef, dry-aged for up to 70 days. We are so proud of this beef we even display it in the restaurant in glass cabinets.

Other than offering to change the steak for you, which the waiter did offer to do, I’m not sure what else could be done. I think the real disaster is that you left the restaurant unhappy which is something the MASH team never want to happen.

I would encourage you to come back the next time you are in London.

You didn’t mention your companions steak in your review. I do hope their steak was delicious.