“The love of GREAT FOOD”

Ranked #479 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Danish, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: WELCOME TO MASH LONDON MASH is located in the lower ground floors of the former Regent Palace Hotel which dates back to 1915, it was the largest hotel in Europe at that time.Upon arrival you will be greeted by a very MODERN AMERICAN STEAK HOUSE design of restaurant, bringing the venue into modern day times.Glide down the magnificent suspended staircase which is draped in luxurious red carpet, where our reception team will greet you and effortlessly guide you through the art deco venue. We welcome you to the MASH adventure. Our Private Dining Room Accommodates a maximum of 18 people , Our Semi Private Dining room Accommodates a maximum of 24 people Total restaurant seating area: 350 Total restaurant area: 450 for a standing reception For inquiries, Please contact our reservations and events department for further information between 9 am and 6 pm - Mon-Saturday.
“The love of GREAT FOOD”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

A great experience we were heralded by the staff and the drinks flowed and the food amazing I had the Dorada a la Plancha DIVINE loved it and some fluffy

• Visited October 2013
Mash L, Guest Relations Manager at Mash Steak House, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for finding the time to write your review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your time with us. We all look forward to welcoming you back to MASH London very soon.

• Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Just okay - and we think they tried to scam us - will not return”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The best thing about this restaurant is the atmosphere - there were five of us dining, and it worked great to be seated at a large booth.

My main complaint is that when we received the bill we couldn't figure out why it was so high. After looking through it several times, we realized that they had charged us for a £45 bottle of red wine that we had never ordered or received. It was in the middle of the bill, hidden between food items. When we notified the waiter, he was neither surprised nor apologetic. He said that his manager had added the wine to the bill. He corrected the bill, but his demeanor gave us a strong suspicion that it was not an accident and that the wine had been purposefully added to the bill in the hope that we would not notice. I left feeling that they had tried to scam us.

I ordered the steak and fries deal which was served with a large portion of salad and fries. The steak was only okay - a bit small and fatty. I've had much better steak at the Outback Steakhouse chain in the US for a quarter of the price. My partner had a hamburger and said it was one of the worst he had ever eaten. The macaroni and cheese was good but far too small a portion for the price. The deserts - we had a 'deconstructed chocolate cake', the white chocolate crème brulee, and the rhubarb ice cream - were all very good.

The service was fine but not very professional considering the price of the food. It was just a casual dinner for us so it was okay - but, I would have been disappointed if I had gone there for a special evening.

I will not be returning to MASH. For steak in London, the Hawksmoor is a much better option.

• Visited November 2013
Mash L, General Manager at Mash Steak House, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Please accept my apologies for your recent experience at MASH. We pride ourselves on the highest possible professional service and quality of food. I'm sorry this was not the case when you visited us. I would like to assure you the issue with your bill was an honest mistake on a very busy night.

I have sent you a private message.
Newbury, United Kingdom
“I've never left a restaurant more angry”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This was a repeat visit to MASH for us, and that says something in itself because we aren't in London that frequently, and there are literally dozens of great dining choices. But we love really good American wine, and great steaks, and having recommended MASH to some good friends and seeing as it was my wifes birthday, we decided to go as a group on Saturday night to celebrate.

The steaks were fantastic, better than I remembered from our previous visit, with one of our friends commenting that it was the best steak they had ever eaten - high praise indeed, and the bar staff and sommelier could not have been more friendly or welcoming. The ambience was just right too, the room was buzzing but not intrusively loud, and we were having a great night. Just right for a birthday celebration.

Then it all went south.

Our waitress for the evening had been professional but hardly what you would describe as warm or friendly. For instance she answered questions about the different steaks when asked, but without really being helpful at the same time - in one specific instance repeatedly describing the beef as being 'corn-fed' but without ever describing what difference that made to the flavour of the meat on the plate, so much so that one steak novice in our party felt inclined to order fish as the 'safer choice'. It is my experience that normally in this calibre of restaurant where they clearly take pride in the food that they serve, that the service staff relish finding out the preferences of their diners, and making recommendations as to what they might enjoy. Not this waitress, and it was an opportunity missed.

However this was not what spoiled our experience, it was just an early indication of the attitude we received.

When the bill came, I noticed a few minor discrepancies. Specifically that we had been charged for 2 béarnaise sauces (which we indeed ordered) but yet we had only been given one; and also that my friend who had ordered a boneless rib-eye, was being charged for the more expensive bone-in rib-eye. Minor things, and easy to rectify we thought. But no…

The waitress went off and spoke to the manager. When she came back she informed us that in fact the béarnaise was 2 portions in one pot - OK no big deal, it was only £2.50 we were talking about, though how exactly we were supposed to know this was never made clear. For the steak she said that they would reduce this on the bill, but was clearly reluctant to do this, and blamed us for the mistake and for not mentioning it earlier (it would never have happened had she simply read our order back to us when she took it). This 'it's your fault, not ours' attitude raised my hackles a bit I do admit, but it was the comment that followed that tipped me over the edge, as she then, with barely masked disdain, snidely implied that we were trying to get out of paying our bill and should be prepared 'to pay for what you had'. I took umbrage at that, and pointed out that 'no, we would in fact only pay for what we ordered'.

In a higher-end restaurant like MASH I just don't expect this kind of attitude from the staff. In fact I don't expect that kind of attitude anywhere, but especially not somewhere like MASH. I know that I'm a very easy going customer and I wouldn't have questioned the bill if I didn't think there had been a genuine mistake. If it had been dealt with positively then I would be writing a glowing 5-star review right now.

I found it very difficult to take the implication that I was trying to get out of paying. We were there to celebrate a special occasion, and had ordered a number of bottles of excellent but not inexpensive wine; we had eaten well, selecting some of the more expensive items on the menu, and as such the bill was not a small one - MASH isn't a cheap restaurant and we knew this. To make this accusation for items that made up around 2% of the overall bill total was frankly outrageous, and completely unnecessary.

A text-book example of how to alienate a good customer as it now makes it very difficult for me to justify ever going back.

1 Thank Stones7
Mash L, General Manager at Mash Steak House, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Firstly can I apologise. We pride ourselves on the service we offer our guests. To hear your experience at MASH was less than perfect is very disappointing. I have sent you a private message.
Clent, United Kingdom
“Great steaks and service”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

After descending two floors from a sleek and modern reception I was immediately taken by the prohibition style atmosphere and Art Deco interior of the restaurant which despite its significant size managed to feel warm and inviting. The waiting staff were knowledgable, attentive and weren't afraid to crack a joke with us. The food was very good from starters through to sweets and the steaks were excellent (as was the wine). The experience was made all the sweeter by a 50% off promotion on steaks (except the standard steak and fries). Would visit again.

• Visited November 2013
Mash L, Guest Relations Manager at Mash Steak House, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Thank you so much for finding the time to write this review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us at MASH. Thank you too for awarding us top marks for food and service. We hope to welcome you back to MASH London very soon.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Better steak than Hawksmoor”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Service was a bit slow and the wine was expensive but a pint was 4.50 so can't complain. Better steak than Hawksmoor and a more relaxed atmosphere. Loved it

• Visited November 2013
Mash L, Guest Relations Manager at Mash Steak House, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
That really is praise indeed! Thank you very much for posting your review.