“Long time missing Steak in London”
Review of Mash Steak House

Mash Steak House
Ranked #480 of 23,030 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Danish, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: WELCOME TO MASH LONDON MASH is located in the lower ground floors of the former Regent Palace Hotel which dates back to 1915, it was the largest hotel in Europe at that time.Upon arrival you will be greeted by a very MODERN AMERICAN STEAK HOUSE design of restaurant, bringing the venue into modern day times.Glide down the magnificent suspended staircase which is draped in luxurious red carpet, where our reception team will greet you and effortlessly guide you through the art deco venue. We welcome you to the MASH adventure. Our Private Dining Room Accommodates a maximum of 18 people , Our Semi Private Dining room Accommodates a maximum of 24 people Total restaurant seating area: 350 Total restaurant area: 450 for a standing reception For inquiries, Please contact our reservations and events department for further information between 9 am and 6 pm - Mon-Saturday.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Long time missing Steak in London”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Fabulous stakes and extremely nice staff. Thank you US Marine Mark, you have taken very good care of me and my wife.

1 Thank Cemugu

• Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“Too big”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We visited this restaurant on a Friday lunchtime on business and stayed all afternoon and into the night. It is a vast basement restaurant, two floors down,very impressive with many booths full of red leather seats. It is a very nicely furbished restaurant, Art Deco I think the term would be, and exactly right for a steak house. The menu offers a range of steaks from Uruguay, USA, Denmark and Australia at prices ranging from about £28 to £50 excluding accompaniments and there are a few alternatives. This place is expensive. A meal for two, bear in mind this is a steak house, is going to cost you around £100- £150 with wine if you have all courses. It will cost considerably more if you factor in the more expensive steaks and drinks. The steaks are very good indeed but the side dishes need more attention I am afraid. Whilst I get the concept and why these steaks are on the menu, it would not hurt that concept to include some select British beef and maybe even Japanese which can be of equal quality to these steaks. This would at least give a wider choice for your money. The quality wine list is extraordinarily extensive and very very expensive. Frankly, I believe it’s too much and a bit silly for such an establishment. It has all the attributes of someone showing off rather than matching the selections to the fare being offered. The place was virtually empty the whole time we were there and it peaked at about thirty. This number of people are lost in this vast space. Colleagues have reported similar experiences. The staff were friendly, efficient and attentive most of the time but the very fact that the place was empty meant they had little to do and got distracted sometimes talking to each other occasionally, nothing serious just a minor irritation.

I liked this restaurant a lot and it has had many good reviews. It is a great place to take some business contacts for lunch or dinner on company expenses but I'm not sure if I would go again under any other circumstances as it far too expensive for a steak house and not good value for money. Yes, I know there are other similar high priced establishments in London but demand for a profusion of very expensive steak restaurants, I believe to be a passing fad and cannot be sustained in my view. If I had an investment in this establishment, I would be worried that this place seems not to be filling up enough. It’s a shame, it seems to have much more potential so I conclude they must have something wrong somewhere.

• Visited March 2013
London
“Good, but not Goodmans”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Always on the hunt for decent steak; the Evening Standard's review gave this the thumbs up and recommended the Danish sourced beef so gave it a go yesterday.

Choice of beef from Uruguay, America & Denmark,along with an Australian Kobe steak. Tried the 500g Danish rib on the bone at £42 (one of the more expensive cuts), with fries

and spinach (extra at around £4 each); similar to the American steak but maybe a little drier/leaner, although the difference was subtle.

The wine list (book) is silly... 700+ wines, with a some £40 but the vast majority over and many way over - what is it with steak restaurants and wine lists as thick as

an Argos catalogue.

Service was good, although at times, despite it being fairly quiet, we found it difficult to get attention.

Not cheap, but for decent steak I don't mind - a cocktail, starters, two steaks and two £35 bottles of wine came to £250 including service.

A large stylish dining room that's had some money spent on it,with a sizable sit at bar for drinks. Makes a good first impression. However...there was something lacking in

atmosphere. Possibly because its fairly new and therefore not that well known, it was a fairly quiet Saturday night and a dining room as large as it is needs to be busy.

Same goes for the bar - it was lacking something - you wouldn't come in here just for drinks.

Based on the food, Mash goes in my top 5 London steak restaurants, hovering somewhere just behind City Goodmans (1st place) and Hawksmoor. Will be back in about 6 months to

see if things have livened up a bit.

• Visited February 2013
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Love the place and the wine list, but the steaks could be better”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

MASH certainly looks the part, the dining room is stylish, opulent and cavernous. With wines displayed behind glass along one side of the room, and beef hanging for inspection by diners in well lit display cases near the bar.

There is a lot to like here. The service was excellent, and the wine list which primarily focuses on US and Californian wines in particular is extensive and well thought out. I noted a selection of the US wines, some of which are very rare this side of the pond seem to have a much lower mark-up therefore making them far better value than the usual suspect show-off wines from Bordeaux, Burgundy and other high-end European vineyards. There is value to be had if you look.

If you are going to compare MASH and Hawksmoor for instance, this is an area where MASH wins comfortably, as the wine list at Hawksmoor is unremarkable, and even slightly disappointing. The MASH wine list is also more extensive than the good list at Goodmans.

However the reason for going to a steakhouse is the beef. Which at MASH is very good, though I've had better both in the US, and at Hawksmoor. I selected a US Prime Bone-in NY Strip 600g and my wife opted for the 300g Uruguayan NY Strip. Both of which were cooked as we requested, medium rare for mine, and medium for my wife, but because of the size of the steak, and the plate it is served on it went cold very quickly. This is a problem because the beef needs to be hot for the fat to melt, which gives a steak its flavour and makes it soft and buttery, not chewy. If I'd have been hungrier I'd have had to send the steak back to the kitchen to be warmed up, but as we had a selection of sides recommended by the waiter; creamed spinach, onion rings, and fries, then there was more than enough food and I left the unfinished remains of the cold steak - which felt very wrong.

I also didn't really like the fact that in the days of food miles, and local sourcing of ingredients, that all the beef at MASH is imported either from Uruguay, Denmark, the USA or Australia. I understand the some of the beef is specially produced - be it Australian Wagyu or the 70-day dry aging that the Danish beef undergoes, but the UK produces some excellent beef as all the steaks at Hawksmoor and some of Goodmans testify, and so it should at least be possible to offer diners the choice of something raised closer to home - it would not be difficult to source British beef to the equivalent of the Uruguayan beef they offer, and I can't help but think having to fly beef in from around the world adds significantly to the cost of the steak on the plate too.

All that being said, we really did enjoy ourselves at MASH, Our waiter was charming, and because I got into a discussion with him about wine, he took us for a tour of their wine cellar and introduced us to the wine director at the end of the meal. Which was a nice touch, and shows how proud they are of their wines as much as their beef. Because of this, I would recommend visiting more to those that are into their wine (especially US wine), than solely for the steaks themselves which you can get better elsewhere.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Stones7
London, UK
“Quite possibly better than Hawskmoor !”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I know that's quite a statement, but having eaten the Danish 300g ribeye rare, I have to say that it is an absolute marvel - it was knowledgeably recommended by our waitress for the evening, Lisa (who was absolutely brilliant !) and was so good that it was best eaten unaccompanied by any sauce whatsoever - in order to fully compare it with Hawksmoor, I will have to revisit Hawksmoor at some point (at which point I will have to revisit MASH just to make sure my judgement is correct ... you get the idea !).

My friend and I visited early (5.30pm), so the atmosphere hadn't livened up at that point but by the time we left the venue was in full swing and very lively. Atmosphere wise I'd say it is slightly more formal than Hawkmoor (e.g. the staff wear uniforms), and I'm still undecided as to which approach I prefer. One thing is certain - Hawksmoor has been open for longer, and therefore their offering and atmosphere has had more time to develop than MASH - but I'm sure as MASH's reputation and quality start to speak for themselves this will change ... I look forward to sampling their other offerings, and I certainly hope they start to do beef dripping chips ... this would just be a thing of absolute beauty ! :)

• Visited February 2013