“Excellent value for money”
Review of SO Park

SO Park
Ranked #462 of 843 Specialty Lodging in London
London
“Excellent value for money”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I booked the hotel at a very, very last minute, but the staff are very friendly and helpful. My husband and I needed to renew our passports in nearby Victoria in the early morning but the hotels round there are far too expensive ( £162 for one night at Premier Inn ) . I did my homework and eventually found it is not really that far from where I intended to stay. The room is nicely decorated and the bed is very comfy. We stayed in a larger studio for and it has plenty of space, and even a spare sofa bed ! Very clean and quiet environment. The only downside is that there is some problem with the fuse so all the wall sockets and the telly, yes, the telly is not working. The gentleman in the reception did tried his best to help and fix it, so no quibble on that. They have done a really good job and can't wait until next time in central London again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dreamgirl25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for the weekend and enjoyed every minute. Great quiet location but very close to the City. Very nice and accommodating staff. Our suite was absolutely stunning. Quality. Great big bathroom with two showers. THE most comfortable hotel bed I ever slept on. Was lacking customers comments cards but been told they've already been ordered. Will definitely stay again. 100% recommend it!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karolina F
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Firstly we were impressed with the costs which we considered reasonable for a London hotel.
When we arrived and were able to park free right outside the hotel that was a bonus and with no time limit it meant we could travel into central London by public transport without worrying about the car.
The reception was clean and bright with a friendly and helpful receptionist who dispelled our disbelief over the parking!
The room is spacious, clean and comfortable, I'm now drinking a cuppa made in the built in kitchen unit and will shortly be having breakfast! The kitchen is certainly all that would be required for an extended stay to keep the eating costs low! Very impressed.
As has been mentioned the bathroom is awesome, it is very large with a bath (inc shower) and a separate drench shower. I have used the drench shower (shower head the size of a dinner plate), very relaxing.
Overal just very impressed at what you get for what you pay.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Rexgom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I had never heard about this hotel before booking it, but the photos looked good and the price was very competitive.

When I arrived at the hotel I was pleasantly impressed with the new build hotel with an almost new-car smell inside. The rooms were also well specified with a large bathroom and kitchen facilities (hob, microwave, kettle etc)

There is secure underground, on site parking available for £15 per night; though you can ony access the car park with a member of staff by going through the meeting room and out of a back door.

The aspect that really lets this hotel down for me is the staff and other people staying at the hotel. Virtually every time I saw a member of staff they were on private phone calls on their mobiles. I thought at the very least they would hang up when a customer was around, but alas not.

Also, on the second night a group of men and women decided to have a party in their room; creating noise and distruption from Midnight until 5am. Needless to say the insulation at this hotel is very poor, but even when complaints were made several times to the hotel staff nothing was done.

On the basis of poor staffing, even though the hotel is nice I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tle88
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Very disappointed with this place. Did not even have a chance to stay there!!

They rang us at about 11am on the day we were booked in for, to say we could not stay because............wait for it............the fire alarm had been going that morning. Now I have heard a few excuses in my time but that takes the biscuit. Then they offer us an alternative about 15 miles away in Kilburn of all places. Anyone that knows London will know how ridiculous this is.

So....we did not stay but luckily we were able to get a last minute room in the Holiday Inn Express at Wandsworth Bridge, which meant we could still attend our friends birthday celebrations after all.

We asked SO Park to refund the difference between what we had to pay them and the cost of the holiday inn, and also asked Booking. Com to try and sort the problem for us.......but you guessed it, nothing from either one. So did offer us a further half price stay, but we are highly unlikely to stay in this part of London again. Booking.com sent us an email and called to say they were on the case, and then......nothing. So, what do they do for their part, seems not a lot. they are all quick enough to take the booking, but when it comes to guaranteeing the performance of their hotel users, or following up in times of trouble, not a lot.

So whilst we cannot say what the place is like, we can say that they are not experienced and geared up to deal with small problems, something many others have said, the standards of customer service are not great, and they do not communicate well.
I hope anyone else that decides to stay at So Park has a better experience than we did!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Clapham
Suffolk UK
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed here for two nights recently in a studio apartment whilst visiting family. The hotel is in a converted 80s block situated on a very busy Battersea Park Road. The hotel had only been open a week when I stayed and the staff were coping admirably with several teething problems.
I had the basic studio apartment but it was very good. Everything was new and well thought out. The room was a good size and the bathroom was fabulous. There was proper air con and heating too. Storage space was emmense and the clever built in kitchenette very useful. Some important items such as a kettle and pans were missing but I was assured they were on order. The electronic room keys were also on order so on returning to the hotel each day a member of staff had to escort me to my room to let me in. Not a real problem for me but an inconvenience for the staff. The staff were very helpful but seemed quite inexperienced.
There are no facilities at the hotel apart from a 24 hour reception but if you just need a room in Battersea it is ideal.
The location of the hotel was perfect for my personal visit but there is very little for the visitor in Battersea and buses are the only really viable transport option as there is no tube or DLR etc. The mainline train stations are a long walk or a bus ride away.
To conclude, SO Park is not really a hotel but it offers clean modern rooms in a part of London that is short of good value accomodation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We were invited at the last minute to an evening event at the Evolution in Battersea Park and didn't fancy a train ride home at 1am. However, despite being mid-week all the central London Hotels were apparently full. The only choice was SO Park which was also very close. We could find no reviews of it but saw sister hotels in London with mixed reports so we did have some trepidation. One issue is that it is so new that Google maps doesn't really have the right location for it. If you are looking for an accurate location it is just opposite The Lost Angel on Battersea Park Road. So it is a longish walk from Clapham Junction and I recommend a taxi for that.

The hotel itself had been open about 2 weeks. We were shown to our room which was a very generous size with smart bathroom and a kitchenette. Overall decor is modern and reasonably tasteful with big picture windows for a great morning vista. Based on this it should be 4/5 not 3 but there are a few things that would need sorting out. There are no downstairs facilities at the moment though there is a large room that may well become a breakfast room or something like that. Generally a lot of the carpets appeared loose laid not fitted and trim for the lifts were held in place with sellotape. Upstairs the staff apologised for the fact that the room key was not working at the moment and so they had to let us in with the master key. Inside the furniture was nice but sparse and the slight lack of lighting was made worse due to a missing bedside light bulb. For this class of hotel we would have expected something that would serve as a dressing table and somewhere to put the suitcase for unpacking too.

So overall this hotel has potential to be good with friendly staff and rooms you could live in for a few days without getting claustrophobia it just needs a bit more work to finish it off.

Room Tip: Higher floors probably have the better views.