“Airy and fantastic atmosphere in Air Street”

Hawksmoor Air Street
Ranked #280 of 23,873 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: 'If a city gets the restaurants is deserves then London has clearly been a very good girl of late. [Hawksmoor Air Street] is everything you woud want it to be and quite a bit more.' Jay Rayner, Observer Located in an Art Deco room overlooking Regent Street, the menu at Hawksmoor Air Street is equally-weighted between steak and seafood. We've teamed up with Mitch Tonks, the chef/owner of one of the best seafood restaurants in the country, to mastermind the fish side of things, not least by ensuring that we receive the freshest produce possible straight from Brixham market in Devon. Close to the theatres of the West-End, we have an Express Menu that's perfect for lunch, pre-theatre and post-theatre dinners. The entrance to the restaurant is on the short stretch of Air Street between Piccadilly and Regent Street. Air Street is the perfect space for a wide range of events including award ceremonies, film premiere parties and cocktail receptions. It can accommodate up to 235 people in the restaurant and 70 in the bar. For more information on private hire and events, please contact our events team.
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I've been to Hawksmoor Seven Dials and Guildhall. I prefer Guildhall personally. But I have a new favourite now - Air street.
What I really liked was the light - in most other Hawksmoors, it's in the basement so quite dark.
Also, they seem to have a better selection of weights for the Chateaubriand in this branch. In the others, we've only been offered the bigger 900g/1kg pieces but we were able to get about a 600g one in Air Street. This meant we could get a good few sides. I love the mac and cheese there and we also had chips and potatoes - all great.
We also had a drink in the bar which was lively.
For starters we had my favourite tamworth belly ribs and the potted beef. Both were excellent. And we finished with the rolos. It's hard to fit anything else in after all that but we managed and it was worth it. They also do the rolos to go - like I need any encouragement!
Great meal, we'll definitely be back!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,485)

Reviewed May 27, 2014

This is a chain, no matter how they try to disguise things! Apart from the slightly formal checking below stairs on arrival I made my way to an up interesting restaurant to be greeted (I use the term loosely) by uninterested staff. Ok it is a bank holiday but a warm, genuine, lively greeting would have made the dull ambience slightly brighter!

I came here because of its reputation for steaks and ended up having the express menu, I expected to see more beef, someone to tell me what beef they had available etc. I just got waiters/waitresses who went through pre programmed pleasantries. And what is with the no uniforms?

I had some unremarkable potted shrimp on toast needed seasoning and the 250g rib eye one of my favourite cuts but not even a sprig do parsley on the plate for garnish just the thrice cooked chips. They were thrice cooked but not on the day!

Wine menu was good if a little pretentious for the restaurant. I love Chateau Petrus but at £6200 I don't want it opened by the people that we're working yesterday.

Glad to see they put the 12.5% discretionary service charge on the bill! I had genuinely decided they did not warrant it but left it there in the end.

Pull up your socks, I went for a steak and a bottle of wine and left after a very average experience. oh and no one said goodbye!

Paschal Hanrahan
Dined here Mon 26 May 2014

3  Thank JonahIreland_Germany
Reviewed May 25, 2014

The crab starter was lovely - very fresh, very crab-tasking, and very light. We had steak and chips for our main course. The chips were good but the steak, while tasting good, was a little dry. I think that the steak at Gaucho is better. The restaurant is deceptive. An unprepossessing entrance leads yo to a very long restaurant upstairs. It's nicely decorated in a sort of gentlemen's club style. Service was good and the atmosphere informal and friendly.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Myself and my girlfriend left booking a restaurant very late before our les mis show but there was lots of tables in hawksmoor air street. We both had food off the express menu which is great value, about 23 pounds for 2 courses and we also had a bottle of white wine which was very good. The food was presented very well and the steak cooked to perfection. The service was very friendly and swift. Would visit again.

1  Thank Wesleywez
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Took my girlfriend to Hawksmoor Air Street lastnight for her Birthday. Cocktails and wine were amazing, especially the 'corpse reviver' I had. My girlfriend had a 'champagne charlie'. The wine was a Pinto Grigio which was lovely. Service was excellent.

I thought the food was a little disappointing based on my high expectations and the price. Everything arrived a bit lukewarm / underwhelming. Went for 900g Porterhouse, mac&cheese, spinach, asparagus and triple cooked chips, all to share (obviously!). It all tasted good (I just wasn't sat there going 'wow' like I have been when I've had steaks at places like Wolfgang's in NY). We both also really enjoyed the desserts...