“Best seats in the house”

The New Wimbledon Theatre
Ranked #258 of 1,633 things to do in London
surrey
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Best seats in the house”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Went to see Fiddler on the roof at New Wimbledon Theatre.

Much has already been said about the show but this review is meant to be about the New Wimbledon Theatre itself.

We were in Row J in the stalls which I consider to be the best seats. There is an aisle separating them from the row in front and so ideal for tall people or for those who like lots of leg room.

Don't bother with the bar as it is very small and there are hardly any seats unless you get there really early.

As usual, always a long queue for the ladies whilst the men are in and out in no time!

3 Thank fussy57

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Excellent show, excellent theatre”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Went to see Fiddler on the Roof on Thursday 3rd. I am a great fan of Fiddler and I felt this was one of the best productions I have seen. The cast was very talented, providing the music,singing also scene shifting as well. Paul Michael Glaser was the perfect Tevye. Our tickets (side front row of the Stalls)stated that there was a 50% reduction view of the stage, not true, I'm short and I could see all the stage. Lovely theatre.

Fareham
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“First time that I have seen this musical”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

This is the first time that I have seen this musical. It is a fantastic production and it is difficult to imagine it being done better. Direction, music and choreography are excellent. Paul Glaser led the team well as Tevye but really the production needs to be taken as a whole. As everyone appears to be a fine musician and actor as well as many being fine dancers and singers (often doing all four at the same time) then the effect is of a 15-20 piece orchestra providing fine accompaniment and sound throughout a brilliant singing and dancing performance.

The more mature and experienced cast members and the newer and younger members are all great, obviously enjoying what they are doing and all well cast. They are a talented bunch and I was just amazed at how they did it all!

I realized how ignorant I was as classic songs that I often him to myself flew off the stage and I had not known they had come from this musical, for example: If I Were a Rich Man, Matchmaker Matchmaker and Sunrise Sunset.

I guess my only criticism might be that the darker scenes could have been made even darker as the lighter scenes are light... but it is a fine line between giving an audience an enjoyable and moving experience and just leaving them miserable and depressed at the end... so even then I am not sure it could have made the production any better.

My favorites moments in a really great production were:

(1) "Tradition" (as it was the opening number and set the tone with all the cast members playing instruments, moving and singing),

(2) the Dream Scene (as everyone on stage just looked like they were having a good time and the rising ghost really is fantastic - and a rare time when I enjoyed some mini-opera),

(3) negotiations for the first wedding or cow (just lovely comedy and play on words),

(4) the excellent dancing at the wedding,

(5) and the final (more dark) scenes.

Great show - I cannot recommend it enough! I went with my wife as a Christmas present for her but I am going to try and go again with the kids this time as we would both like to see it again.

1 Thank DavidSandersFareham
Worcestershire
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“An Okay Show”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We saw 'Tonight's the Night' written by Ben Elton and based on Rod Stewart. WE have seen many West End productions and whilst this show was okay it wasn't up to that standard.

Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Tonights the Night”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I have never been a Rod Stewart fan but I thought that this might be a fun show and I am so glad that I came, it was fantastic! The singing was amazing especially Jade, and the show was entertaining. There might have been a couple of fluffed lines but because everything else, the dancing, choreography etc was so good we could forgive it. The best bit was when everyone was given paper sailor hats for the finale, you guessed it, Sailing! You did Rod proud and I might even be converted.

Visited March 2014