“Veggie Heaven!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ottolenghi Belgravia

Ottolenghi Belgravia
Ranked #18 of 282 Bakeries in London
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Belgravia
San Francisco, CA
“Veggie Heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Loved eating here, as I had looked at his cookbook before leaving home and was intrigued to sample some of his cuisine. Having lived in Belgravia I kinda knew what to expect (upmarket) and was not disappointed. Went early and snagged a spot and wished I'd brought a crowd of friends to eat with me, the portions are well sized and choosing just a couple was very hard. Anything this guy does with eggplant on a plate is amazing, truly wonderful.

Eat here, or any of his stores, be prepared for a wait, or better yet, take it away and enjoy!

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Vancouver, Canada
“I don't get all the fuss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Made a special trip on our last day in London from Chelsea to Balgravia. Certainly not a long trip but it was out of our way. What this caterer does and does very well is serve pre-made food to eat on site or for most people to take away. I suppose it would ideal for parties or last minute dinner guests but I just don't get paying all that money for mediocre to good food. Most of what we sampled was mediocre, cold middle eastern salads in various forms. Some of the sweets were very good and I would go back for more. We tried to get into their restaurant in Soho but it was full. I wonder if you are served the same left-overs?

Visited July 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“By far the best restaurant food I've ever tasted.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

On the way to Buck House for a visit with you-know-who, we happened to walk by the Belgravia example of Ottolenghi's deli-restaurants. Actually there was no "happened" about it. Having dined in the Notting Hill establishment, we were sure of a superb meal, and allowed sufficient time before our appointment to allow for the ever-present possibility they would be busy, and we would have to wait.

Like the Notting Hill restaurant, there is only one table, and as luck would have it there was space available. The service was sprightly without the feeling there were new customers circling. And the food.... OH THE FOOD.... a crisp salad with multiple peas and beans. The first crunch into a mange tout and the explosion of flavour was something never experienced before. Although I could not identify the exact blend of spices, it will never be forgotten. Then a perfectly done bit of grilled salmon to keep the cacophony of flavours spinning about the palate.

This is definitely one of those establishments that one always feels should be kept to one's self because of the ever-present danger that success will kill the uniquely special character.

I wonder if there is a regular troop of footmen popping in for a take-away...

• Visited October 2012