“Good, cheap and quick”

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Ate here yesterday with wife and son, the waiter was very accommodating of our buggy, and moved another couple to make room for us. Pizza's were good (chorizo x2), excellent value for money, and quick. I tend to eat at Pizza Express more often, as it's very handy for my office, but Franco Manca is a better pizza, I like their focus on quality ingredients, and the simple menu. I can't wait for the Balham branch to open. I would give it 3.5 out of five if possible. What stops it getting a 4? I think the gap down to Pizza Express is not quite big enough, despite the hype...

1  Thank 3WallBoast

Reviewed July 17, 2013

i was relieved to leave this place, too many people and too noisy though the place must appeal to many as it is normal to find a queue outside on the pavement waiting to get in. minimal menu choice at a good price and well cooked whichever one i had. as another reviewer said, takeaway would be a good option for next time.....................or take the children as the place resembles memories of school dinners.

Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Atmosphere:

If you're looking for a romantic night out then this isnt the place for you; very busy with a queue going out the door and you'll probably share the table. But this sharing creates a great atmosphere and there is always a real buzz about the place.

The food:

Exceptional, dont be fooled by the 6 pizza choices on the main menu. These are great choices but check the specials board for great locally sourced ingredients that combine to make a special pizza.

Overall its well worth the wait!

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Had lunch there today with friends. Although I had heard of its reputation you have to experience it yourself. We did and it passed with flying colours. They pizzas were terrific, very tasty, different from the usual but well worth the trip. If there is a negative comment it would only be about one of the waitresses who seemed to want to be elsewhere.
Otherwise we were very happy, not an expensive establishment and pleasant albeit tight surroundings.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I‘d heard fantastic things about the pizzas at Franco Manca, so I kept it simple and ordered the Tomato Mozzarella and Basil, at the bargain price of £5.90. It was pretty great. It’s not the best pizza I’ve ever had, but it’s definitely the best I’ve tried in South West London. The sourdough made the base crispy on the edge yet deliciously chewy. The tomato sauce was seasoned beautifully; they clearly put effort into making the basic components as good as they can be. My only criticism: the pizza could be a little crispier.

However, Franco Manca should only be considered a restaurant in the way that McDonalds is a restaurant. You will not enjoy pleasant evening out. Under no circumstances should you consider this as a potential date venue.

Franco Manca has more similarities with a school canteen than it does a restaurant. There were children on every single table, running up and down the restaurant and playing outside. Seriously they were everywhere. You might be mistaken in thinking we visited at 3:45pm for a post school snack. It was actually 7pm on a Friday, and from what I’ve heard this is a recurring theme, regardless of what time you visit.

My final complaint is about glassware. Now I’ve been told that it’s the trendy thing to do, but wine in a tumbler glass? Really? Even if I could see past this hideous new development in modern dining, my tumbler glass was filthy.

To conclude, I’d recommend the take-out option.

2  Thank AliceVictoria1234