“Cool pool - literally according to my wife!”

Novotel London Blackfriars
Ranked #177 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Luton
“Cool pool - literally according to my wife!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Booked a couple of nights here at a good rate for a weekend in London with my wife and daughter. Modern rooms (my daughter loved the switch for frosting the bathroom glass), very friendly helpful staff on check-in and a very funky basement pool. My wife thought it was too cold but my daughter and I loved it.

Hotel is in a great position.....easy to walk to the South Bank and a little further down to The Tower of London and Tower Bridge.

We'd stay here again which is always a good recommendation from me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ErolUray, Manager at Novotel London Blackfriars, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback and review here on Tripadvisor.

I am very glad that you liked our modern rooms with the bathroom glass, that you find us to be in a great position and you have enjoyed the very funky swimming pool. I am particularly happy to read your comments about our very friendly and helpful staff.

We are looking forward to welcome you and your family back to our hotel.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed May 20, 2013

excellent hotel - did not understand why people complain so much about breakfast room. Everything worked well from the check in to check out. At the pool area only half wall projection was working during our stay (if you install these fancy things you should always make sure that they are fully working). Kids loved the hotel, room, iPad-table in restaurant, pool and sauna.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

I appreciate your feedback about our excellent hotel and I am sure that this will be very helpful to the Traveller community here on Tripadvisor.

I am happy that everything worked well for you from check to check out and that your kids loved the bedroom, the IPad table in the restaurant and the swimming pool and Saunarium.

I am glad to tell you that the wall projection is working just fine now. We are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel for your next visit.

Lisbon
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Very good hotel and they gave me a very good room. The location is good to visit the Tate Modern, St. Paul Cathedral, London Bridge, etc. but very few restaurants nearby.
The breakfast is fair but expensive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

1 Thank AnonimoLisbon
Thank you very much for your review following your stay with us. It is very much appreciated.

I am very happy to read that you find our hotel and bedrooms very good and that you like the location.

Should you be returning to our hotel in the future, please ask our front desk team about the different options of breakfast we have available and also about the restaurants available in the area. We are here for you 24 hours and 7 days a week.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel for your next visit.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I only stayed at the Novotel Blackfriars (actually near Southwark station) for a night on May 19th, but it was a good night. This seems to be the new concept/decoration for Novotel hotels. The room I had was spacious as usual at Novotel, and the new decoration is very nice. Excellent bed, and I loved the new style bathroom.
Check-in was very quick and the gentleman at the desk was very welcoming. The room service was excellent, and the lady who brought it to my room was very friendly. In short, all staff members were very good.
My only down side was the tv in the room, it is a bit high and cannot be moved left or right, which would be better when you are sitting on the sofa.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank leolon
I am extremely grateful for your comments and it is really nice to read your review.

It is great to see that you have enjoyed staying in our spacious, very nice decorated rooms and you liked the excellent beds.

I am particularly satisfied to read that your room service was excellent, that the check-in was very quick and that on both occasions you were served by our very welcoming and very friendly staff.

We are really looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel for your next stay.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed at Novotel for the weekend for my husband's 30th birthday and cannot fault it. We had room 1018, so up on the 10th floor with views across the city including the Shard. The room had loads of clever details, was a good size and with an amazing shower!

I'm a really light sleeper but didn't hear anything in this room, not even other rude guests letting their doors bang shut, which is usually unavoidable. The bed was a good size and very comfortable and the free wifi was perfect and easy to access. All the staff were very polite and helpful and check in / check out was really quick.

I'd seen what others had said about breakfast, but we didn't have any issues at all and the food was very good. What we really loved was that check out wasn't until 12 and that breakfast at the weeked also runs till 12 - so it's incredibly flexible. You can lie in and not miss it!

The hotel is also located just a couple minutes walk from Southwark tube station, so was really easy to get about, and just 10mins walk from Waterloo so easy for getting home again. We walked the short distance from the hotel to the river and Tate Modern then down the bank to London Bridge.

So overall a great place to stay and a reasonable price if booked in advance. It is now our hotel of choice when in London.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper ask then for a room that is on a higher floor and 18 or 19, so it'...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HealthAngel
It gives me a great pleasure to read your review and I am very glad to see that everything was perfect and you will be returning to our hotel.

I am very happy to read that you have enjoyed staying in our comfortable bedrooms and that you liked the free Wi-Fi access.

It is also very nice to read that you have liked the breakfast so much and that the food was very good.

I appreciate your comments about our very polite and helpful staff and we are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel for your next visit to London.

Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed two nights in May 2013 for business. Arrived at hotel to very welcoming and friendly staff. Were given a beautiful room and the whole hotel is very nicely designed. Particularly liked the colour scheme, iPads available on the breakfast table and very nice food and drinks available in the restaurant and bar. The hotel also has an excellent gym and swimming pool including a sauna. Very good service and staff was very helpful when I asked for something. Very central and just a walk to sights nearby. I will be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ErolUray, Manager at Novotel London Blackfriars, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
I am overwhelmed and very happy to read your fantastic review about our hotel.
It is great to see that you had such an excellent stay and you find our hotel to be in a perfect location.

I am also very pleased to see that you find our hotel staff at the arrival and in the restaurant and bar to be very welcoming, very friendly and very helpful.

I am glad you have enjoyed our beautiful bedrooms and the design of the hotel and of course the very nice food and drinks in our restaurant and bar.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel for your next visit to London.

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Could not fault this hotel. Staff friendly, helpful and very good value for money. We were close to attractions and only a short walk to the London Eye and Southbank. If we return to London we will stay here again. Great for kids, especially the pool.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

I am extremely satisfied with your review and rating of our hotel.

It is great to read your comments about our friendly and helpful staff and that you find our hotel to be good value for money. I am also happy that your kids have enjoyed the swimming pool and that you liked the location.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel for your next visit.