“Just Ok”

Novotel London Blackfriars
Ranked #143 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Rooms were clean, quite spacious and quiet. Breakfast as such was good but the breakfast room was not well planned for the purpose. Long queue for the breakfast any time of the morning. Some people at the reception desk weren´t too helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
ErolUray, Manager at Novotel London Blackfriars, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback following your stay with us.

During the school holidays and on weekends we are experiencing a high numbers of family’s in the hotel and for that the breakfast is always very popular, mostly between 8am-10am. We are ensuring that our guests are informed upon arrival and I apologise if you have not been told.

I am very surprised to read that you have encountered some staff at the reception which was not helpful, as this is always being positively commented on. I can assure you that we will take the appropriate measure to address your concerns and prevent them from happening again.

I am still very glad that you find the breakfast to be good and you liked the clean, spacious and quite bedroom.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel for your next visit.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Rooms were too small for family of 2 adults and 2 kids. The room we stayed in was on the first floor and we heard running water 24/7, mainly from toilets on higher floors passing very close to our room. Reception noted but did nothing.
Waiting staff had to be asked several times to supply tea/coffee at breakfast.
We paid good money for a 4 star Hotel and got 2 star experience.

1  Thank Bartman1969
ErolUray, Manager at Novotel London Blackfriars, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and your feedback following your stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations and I sincerely apologise for that. I would have expected a much more pro-active response from my colleagues, by moving you to another room on a different level.

The size of the bedrooms are the same as in every other Novotel in London and the world, however depending of the location of the bedroom it can be slightly bigger than others. All our family bedrooms are mainly located on the first and second floor.

I have forwarded your comments about the breakfast service to our F&B Manager and I am sure that this will encourage each staff member, as we are continuously improving our service.

Should you be coming back to London in the future, please contact me directly and I will personally look after your reservation.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We arrived at the hotel to see the chef smoking outside. Once in, we had to check in on an automated machine, completed all our details, got to the end & it said we had to check in at reception. So we had to check in twice. The room was clean but we would have liked more than one small towel between the two of us. Yes I know I could have called reception & got another one send up, but in a 4 star hotel you shouldn't have to do this. We didn't understand the frosted bathroom door. Even with it closed you can still see the person in the shower. Its just a gimmick which is pointless. We decided to pay £40 & have breakfast but the queue to get into the restaurant was ridiculous. It was not a weekend, bank holiday or school holiday or peak time. We gave up. We did not eat in the restaurant in the evening. Would I like to sit & eat a meal while somebody is sat next to me playing angry birds on the communal iPads?? The whole hotel is just full of gimmicks & it didn't work for us. If you want to stay in a nice Novotel, stay in the Tower Bridge one. It is far superior with a lovely bar & restaurant which doesn't resemble McDonalds.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Blackandwhitecats

Thank you very much for staying with us and I am very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

The express c/i does actually work, however depending on a few factors, such as the room being inspected and ready or the credit card details checked accurately, it might happen that it will pass you back to reception to check these.

I have already spoken to my colleagues from the housekeeping department and I have reminded them about the importance of refreshing the room as per the given standard.

The time you have stayed with us was indeed a bank holiday weekend, however not in the UK, but in other European countries. Therefore we experienced a high numbers of family’s in the hotel and for that the breakfast is always very popular mostly between 8am-10am. We are ensuring that our guests are informed upon arrival and I apologise if you have not been told.

I can understand that you would expect the same high standard of service as you have experienced it at the other Novotel and I can assure you that we are daily training our staff and we strive continuously to improve the quality of our service.

Should you be returning to London in the future, please contact me directly and I will personally look after your reservation.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Novotel London Blackfriars.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

As a family of four with 2 kids, aged 10 and 6 this hotel was fabulous. Exceptionally clean, staff very friendly and helpful. Interactive games table and an xbox for the kids to play with in the restaurant bar area. Breakfast was superb with a vast choice of hot and cold foods. Swimming pool and exercise area fantastic. Would recommend this hotel to everyone :)

Room Tip: We stayed on 3rd floor in a superior room, was extremely quiet
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

I am extremely satisfied to read that you had a perfect holiday whilst staying at Novotel London Blackfriars.

It is very nice to see that you find our hotel to be a great location for holidays, that you find it to be modern and clean and that you have enjoyed the location.

I appreciate your recommendation and we are looking forward to welcome you back for your next stay.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

It is a great location for a hollyday i London, close to the tubestation and a great hotel.
Modern and clean.
We use the restaurant at the hotel one night, and it was ok, but prefer to use all the great places in town.
Its a hotel to try if you are in London for a holliday :-)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Senior_Vikings

I am grateful for your comments and I am very satisfied that you had a perfect holiday whilst staying with us.

It is very nice that you find our modern and clean hotel to be great and that you liked the location.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel for your next visit.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Unfortunately we did not get to stay in this hotel as despite a prepaid rate, hotel could not guarantee adjoining family rooms. Hence, a booking for 5 nights for two family rooms was lost. Hotel did not seem to care about this either. Very poor customer service as well with difficulty speaking to someone who could understand the request, unreturned phone calls etc etc. Booking a hotel should not be this hard!! By the way, Holiday Inn can guarantee adjoining rooms no problem! Novotel not for us I guess!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 868DJMBelfast

Thank you very much for booking with us and I am very sorry to hear that you were not able to stay with us.

Every booking and every guest is very important to us and therefore I am very surprised to read that we were not able to answer your request.

We are adding every request for adjoining rooms to the profile of the guest and we will always do our utmost to allocate the rooms next to each other. However due to the number of requests and especially during the holiday period we are not able to guarantee any adjoining or interconnecting rooms.

Should you wish to change your mind about your booking, please contact me directly and I will personally look after your reservation.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Great location, very comfortable, great food in the restaurant. The design is very modern and nice. It has a great swimming pool wich was not warm but not cold. The water was perfect. At breakfast you had a great selection of different foods. The hotel was close to the London Eye and other attractions. It was also close to the railway station. The design of the rooms was lovely. It was a wonderful stay in Novotel Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
ErolUray, Manager at Novotel London Blackfriars, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

I am very grateful for your fantastic review and it is nice to see that you find the hotel to be super.

It is very satisfying to read your comments about the great location, the great food in the restaurant and the modern designed and very comfortable bedrooms.

I am particularly happy to read that you enjoyed the breakfast with a great selection of different foods.

We are looking forward to welcome you back for to Novotel London Blackfriars.