“Great hotel and great stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Novotel London Blackfriars
Ranked #191 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Syracuse, New York
“Great hotel and great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

As I understand this is a new hotel only starting to function the last quarter on 2012. You can definitely tell this is a new hotel. Beautiful modern set up from the lobby to the rooms to the pool. This was a family vacation with my husband and I and our 2 kids, one being under a year old. So starting with the lobby that had a screen set up with a video game as well as a touch screen table which kept my 4 yr old occupied while waiting. The restaurant is next. Also equipped with one table with iPads that came in handy for my son a couple of times. We had dinner there the first night which I thought was a bit pricey for the quality of food that was just Average. We also used for breakfast buffet which h we purchased as part of our stay. I have to agree with everyone else revising regarding the wait. It is just uncalled for and a hotel at this level should figure out a better system rather than asking guests to come earlier. The breakfast itself though was a great quality and variety. We found something to satisfy each one of us. Moving on to the rooms we had a pleasant surprise there. Foam mattresses on both our bed and the kids. Comfortable pillows. Its a green hotel which is always a plus in my book. The set up is very modern and functional. The room and bathroom are spacious enough. The glass wall separating the shower and room can be made un transparent which i thought was great. The room is also equipped with a mini fridge/bar as well as a safe, hot water pot and the usuals of iron, blow dryer ...etc. The structure of the building must be noise proof because we didn't hear anything as soon as we stepped into our room and the kids slept great. We used the dry cleaning service which was reasonably priced and rather quick. We also used the pool one night. It did make me a little nervous that there is no life guard on duty but then again I don't know the laws in England. Each child was to be accompanied by an adult so that made me feel better. As far as the location this was perfect. A few minute walk from the southwark tube station, we were able to get around rather easily and the rest of the family we had in the city ended up using our hotel as a meeting point because of its location and the short walk to the London eye and the bridge. The staff was friendly enough to say they were customer service oriented. They were never rude to us, however we did witness an exchange between a manager and another guest and I thought they were rather rude to them. I do have to admit though that customer service seemed lacking in most places we have been to so maybe the encounters we had else where made this staff seem friendly. They were always however helpful, even if it was never done with a smile lol. Overall I highly recommend this hotel for a family stay.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ErolUray, Manager at Novotel London Blackfriars, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
It is very nice to see that you had such a great stay and you find our hotel to be great. I appreciate your 5* rating.

During the Easter holidays, school holiday and on weekends we are experiencing a high numbers of family’s in the hotel and for that the breakfast is always very popular, mostly between 8am-10am.
We are ensuring that our guests are informed upon arrival and I apologise if you have not been told.

Our swimming pool area is not supervised due to the depth of the pool and as you already said every child will need to be supervised by and adult while using the leisure area.

I am very satisfied to read your detailed review about our hotel, the staff and all our facilities. I am pleased that you get to try all of them and that you have enjoyed your stay overall.

All you feedback is valuable to us and I can assure you that this will be a further encouragement to our staff to continuously improve our service.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Have stayed here on quite a few occassions now and found the staff pleasant and friendly, rooms are a good size, clean and well maintained. breakfast and restaurant facilities are worth recommending. leasurely stroll to Southward tube station is great for travelling around.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
I am extremely pleased to read your review and I appreciate your loyalty.

It is very nice to see that you find our bed rooms to have a good size, are clean and well maintained.

I am particularly satisfied to read that you find our staff to be pleasant and friendly and that you would recommend our facilities and services such as the breakfast and the restaurant.

We are really looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel for your next visit.

netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

NIce room with bathroom walls which can be made transparant. Hotel opened fall 2012, everything new and fresh. Pleasant staff. Good breakfast, dinner average. Nice pool and sauna. Walking distance to London Eye and Tower bridge. Next to tube station.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your review following your stay with us.

It is very nice to see that you find our hotel to be hip and that you liked the nice bedrooms with the glass panel. I am also happy that you have enjoyed the great breakfast and Dinner, the nice swimming pool and saunarium and you liked the location.

I am particularly pleased to see that you find our staff to be pleasant.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to Novotel London Blackfriars.

Wakefield, West Yorks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed here for the first time in April, I work on Blackfriars Road when in London, so spotting a new Novotel nearby meant I had to check it out. Really nicely appointed hotel, great touch-screen checkin, had a few drinks at the bar with a colleague served by a very pleasant barman. The room was really well laid-out, high quality furnishing. As I was late arriving, I ordered room service which came very promptly and was really great quality. I also had breakfast delivered to the room as I had an early start, which was equally. good. Given my timescales, I didn't have chance to use the pool, but I'm told by colleagues that it is excellent.

I checked out at the electronic screen, which was all fine, although I did select my receipt to be emailed to me, but this took a few days and a chase email from me before it arrived.

Overall, a great experience, very handy for my London office, and one which I will use a great deal more in future.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
I am very pleased to hear that our hotel is so close to your work and you find the service and the facilities to be excellent. I appreciate your great review.

It is very satisfying to read your comments about the barman and the really well laid-out bedroom with quality furnishings. I am also glad to see that you have enjoyed the prompt delivery of our great room service and breakfast.

I appreciate that you bring your experience with the express check out to my attention and I will ensure that this will be looked into.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in the future for another great experience.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a weekend break at Novotel Blackfriars on the 26th of April,we chose this hotel after reading such good reviews on here.The location is great,literally 2 min walk to Southwark tube station from where you can then access other parts of London with ease.We went to the Pink concert at O2 on Saturday night and the tube took us straight there,no changing lines(which was good seeing as I was wearing heels!) The hotel itself is fantastic,very modern and new with spacious rooms.I was only let down by the fact that the room we were given didn't have the unusual glass wall in the bathroom that so many reviewers had commented on previously,I was lookin forward to having a play with that! We were actually given a room for the disabled but don't know why?! Breakfast was nice with the usual selection and we were seated straight away,no waiting around.Staff were all very friendly and helpful,checking in and out was done with no problems.My husband enjoyed use of the pool and sauna which he said were lovely.We would love to return again as a family and bring our 3 children,they would like the little extras this hotel has to offer such as the iPads,Xbox and interactive table.We would definitely recommend this hotel having enjoyed a great relaxing wkend just wish we could have stayed longer!!

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ErolUray, Manager at Novotel London Blackfriars, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us and I appreciate your fantastic review.

It gives me great pleasure to read, that you find our hotel to be excellent and that you would love to come back.

I am happy that you enjoyed the location, the spacious room, you liked the nice breakfast and your husband enjoyed the swimming pool and saunarium. I am also glad to read your comments about our very friendly and helpful staff.

I am so sorry that you did not receive a room with a glass panel, but should you be coming back to us please contact me directly and I will personally ensure your will be allocated one.

We are looking forward to welcome you back for your next visit to London.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Booked the hotel as our first point of stay on our trip to London and was totally satisfied. Check in was pain free (important after a 27 hour flight!), breakfast great, beds and rooms comfortable, pool and gym handy and reception staff helpful. The location was plain awesome, located close to tube and within walking distance of the Tower of London, Borough markets and the London eye. Definitely stay again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It is extremely satisfying to read that you were totally satisfied with your first stay and that you would stay again.

I am very glad to read that your check-in went very fast after a long flight, that the breakfast was great, your bedroom was comfortable for you, you find the swimming pol and gym to be handy and you find the location to be awesome.

I am particularly satisfied to read that the reception staff was helpful to you.

Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I have now stayed here half a dozen times over the last few months and always found the Novotel Blackfriars to be very good. In particular, the staff are always very friendly and efficient at check in. The rooms are newly decorated as it is a relatively new hotel - large, fresh and well laid out. Room service is of good quality - although can be a bit slow in the evenings. The hotel is very handy for buses into the City/north of the river. Overall, my preferred hotel for business stays.

Room Tip: Make sure the taxi driver knows which Novotel you are staying in - be specific - as there is another...