“So close to being very good...”

Novotel London Blackfriars
Ranked #132 of 1,078 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is a very new hotel and it shows. The whole hotel is fresh and modern and, importantly, clean.
The problem is that there are quite a few small, annoying glitches that are spoiling what could be a decent hotel.
The free WiFi is stupidly slow to the point of being almost unusable. I can, of course, upgrade for £10 per day, but in a hotel costing £175/night I expect WiFi that works.
The lockers in the pool/gym don't have any working locks. The spa pool is in the corner of the main swimming pool, so it's cold for a spa pool and cannot be warmer.
The bar on the first night couldn't charge drinks to my room due to 'upgrades' and I didn't have enough cash on me. The second night they'd run out of some of the draught beers.
The bathrooms are good, but you can clearly hear everything from the bathroom immediately above yours.
I'm not sure if this review is going to get the same 'cookie cutter' response as seen on the Novotel website, but there's not a lot they need to do to sort most of these minor glitches out... Decent wifi would be a good start!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ErolUray, Manager at Novotel London Blackfriars, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback following your stay at Novotel Blackfriars.

I appreciate your comments with regards to the Wi-Fi and I will personally look into this matter, as we have increased the speed since opening the hotel in October 2012. The Wi-Fi is free of charge and allows basic browsing and surfing. The premium Wi-Fi allows VoIP connections and streaming and there is an extra charge of £10.00 for 24 hours.

I am personally supervising the change of the lockers and we will be receiving the lockers within the next few weeks. The water jet pool has indeed the same temperature as the swimming pool as it is part of it, and is not working like the well-known Jacuzzis.

I do apologise for the inconvenience for not being able to charge your drinks to your room and to have a certain draught beer not available during the changeover to a new beer kegs. I will address your concerns to our staff and we will take the appropriate measures to prevent this from happening again.

I am still glad that you find our hotel to be fresh, modern and clean and I hope you will give us the chance to welcome you back to our hotel.

Rooms Division Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,388)

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Went to see Kraftwerk at Tate modern so was looking for a nearby hotel.
Novotel black friars came up on the map so I booked it.Good quality hotel within 5 mins walk of Tate.Very helpful Spanish staff on checking-in.
standard room was very clean and quite luxurious-bathroom had a trendy smoked glass privacy switch and shower was super sized.Free room safe also,plus a very comfy sofa-some hotels you just get a seat so you're partner has to sit on the bed-not here.Recommended!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for staying with us and your great feedback here on Tripadvisor.

I am very satisfied to read that you find our hotel to be a good quality hotel, with very helpful Spanish staff on check in, very clean bedrooms, luxurious bathrooms and a super-sized shower. I am also glad that you liked the safe in the bedroom and the sofa.

I appreciate that you are recommending our hotel to other travellers and we are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Really enjoyed staying here. Much appreciated that the use of the pool is included in the room rate - as is wifi.... Can't fault the experience. We were even able to stay on in the building past check out time and use the pool for our 3rd time.

Room Tip: We had a first floor room which although there was no view - it looked out onto an internal well, it...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CJM067
ErolUray, Manager at Novotel London Blackfriars, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your great 5 star rating.

I am very pleased to read that you have really enjoyed your stay with your kids in our great hotel. I am also very glad that you appreciate the use of the swimming pool even after checking out.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to Novotel London Blackfriars.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Hi, My family and me,
Good, Lpaycorner for the kids. Breakfast was various fruit warm and cold fresh food
Clean - proper and good design
Nice personal service
The pool was most valuble after walking on london streets.
Sincely
Anna

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your very nice review and for your feedback here on Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to see that you had a super and nice stay with us. I am also very glad that you have enjoyed the breakfast, with various fruits and hot and cold dishes, the clean and well-designed rooms, the swimming pool and our nice hotel staff.

We are looking forward to welcome you and your family back to our hotel for your next visit to London.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Having stayed at various Novotel properties accross the world, I did not have huge expectations for this trip. Nothing negative, but Novotel does what it says on the tin. Well, not this property. I was impressed with the room design and layout. Much bigger than than the Novotel down the road. And being new, everything was still sparkling. I hope hotel facilities manage to maintain standards at this hotel as time passes.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BadinhoOxon

Thank you very much for your great feedback and the 5 star rating on Tripadvisor.

I am extremely satisfied that we were able to exceed your expectations and you find our hotel to be great. I am also very happy that you were impressed with the layout and design of the bedrooms.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel for your next visit to London.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

1  Thank SEH01

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Reception staff were very slow thinking. Used Favourite Guest complimentary guest vouchers for wine and cocktail; subsequently phone call to room saying cocktail was excluded; said charge to room and leave spare voucher in reception; further phone call saying room tab was not opened and had to come down to pay for drink; asked Antoine why I had not been told cocktails not permitted at time and he sai Ose was responsible and he just shrugged his shoulders; I pointed out that the glass of wine was CHEPER than the cocktail but they said it didn't matter; paid cash; checked at reception and room tab WAS open. Total lack of customer care or interest or rational thought - spoiled the start of another wise good stay. Saleem showed interest but was ultimately unable to help.

1  Thank HockCardiff

Thank you very much for staying with us and your feedback.

I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention, although I am very surprised about your comments with regards to the reception, as this always being positively commented on. I would have certainly expected a much more proactive response from my colleagues.

There are procedures in place to inform every guest about the LeClub Drink vouchers and the terms & conditions which come with it. I sincerely apologise if this was not brought to your attention upon arrival and I can assure you that we will take the appropriate measures to address your concerns.

I am glad that you were still able to enjoy the rest of your stay with us and we are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel for your next visit to London.