TripAdvisor

Ranked #2,920 of 28,650 Restaurants in London
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Clerkenwell
Description: The Gate focuses on creative and healthy vegetarian and vegan dishes that are full of flavours and visually pleasing. We source our ingredients with care and intensify flavour by careful cooking and by combining ingredients in unexpected ways.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Booked a table for 2 on a busy Friday night so did expect some delays. We were quick to be seated but waited at least 15 minutes before our drinks order was taken. Service was generally poor. Asked for small plates and extra drinks which never arrived. Food was okay but nothing special. Probably should’ve gone to Mildred’s!

1  Thank E_fhow
Write a reviewReviews (886)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We visited on Saturday night. We were welcomed and shown to our table. All the food we ordered was great, drinks were quite slow to arrive. Unfortunately our waitress seemed very unhappy, it was difficult communicating the order and our experience was very similar to the review below. The four of us felt quite uncomfortable each time she approached the table.

We still had a nice time and enjoyed the food and wine but the service was concerning, especially when the 12.5% service charge is included in the bill.

1  Thank NLWG
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

It was a busy Thursday evening so I’m glad I reserved a table for 2. First time here and looking forward to trying the menu. We were seated promptly.

Our waitress was very cold and had a bit of an attitude throughout the dinner. I tried to be nice and smiley when ordering but she just didn’t really care or seem like she wanted to be there. She would come over quite suddenly during the meal and asked us how our meal was but as an obligation.

The food itself was generally good and presented well but for the price I expect something more special. I ordered the Aubergine Teriyaki which was tasty. For dessert the Chocolate cake was lovely but the Eton mess too sweet and not to our taste.

I knew there was a 12.5% service charge included but felt annoyed paying it because of the poor service. Sometimes a smile and warm attitude goes a long way.

I don’t generally write many reviews but this experience stood out in a bad way. Will not go back again, at least not to this branch.

1  Thank 447garm
Reviewed September 17, 2019

i met friends for food and conversation. the food here was lovely, service very good, and we were not hurried at all even though we lingered long catching up with old friends. the desserts were lovely.

Reviewed September 14, 2019

This was my first time in this restaurant and even though I was in a 'meat' mood I really, really enjoyed my meal at Gate. The presentation was spot on and the taste of the food was so good. How do they get the purees and sauces to have such a concentrated flavour? The only slight down side was that the service was a bit slow on the day we went which would have been fine on a normal day but that day we were heading for the Theatre and although we sat down in plenty of time it was quite a rush at the end.

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank bigdoseofwanderlust

Been to The Gate Islington? Share your experiences!