“Interesting”

Ibis London Blackfriars
Ranked #263 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Excellent location just on Blackfriars road, very good value for money considering location in London with room under £100 a night. Very modern entrance, check in efficient, room on 10th floor. Room was clean with single window overlooking office blocks, quite sterile in appearance, bathroom was a pod like affair integrated into room but worked very well and exceptionally clean. Shower was excellent and lighting very good. Great location for Waterloo station which is a 5 to 10 min walk from hotel, tube station within 2 mins and South Bank pubs and restaurants within a 10 min walk. If all you want is a clean functional room with close proximity to the city at a good rate then I can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Grindlehop
Ibis London B, General Manager at Ibis London Blackfriars, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Michael Böhler

Write a ReviewReviews (3,539)

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was quite amazed at how much I liked this hotel and how friendly the staff were. I was granted an early check-in and late check-out, no questions asked (this is subject to availability, and it is listed in their hotel policy which is displayed at reception.) The wifi signal was also very strong, even at night when most travellers tend to be using the network and slowing it down. I didn't eat at the restaurant, but I saw it was always busy and it smelled delicious whenever I walked past.

I have to say though, can we give a hand to the reception staff and the housekeeping staff? They're so quick, professional and ready to drop everything and help you. When I was checking out, the general manager was training a new employee and showing him how to use the system, As soon as I approached the counter, the GM stopped mid-sentence and asked how he could help me. Very impressive. The housekeeping staff are amazing too, and they left the rooms spick and span.

The location of the hotel is also fantastic. It's just about 200m away from Southwark station, and from there you can take the Jubilee line to Westminster and change lines there. The Tate Modern is also a 5-minute walk away.

The only letdown for me was the bathroom, but it was such a minor detail that I feel guilty for nitpicking. There was a slight gap between the shower doors, which meant that the bathroom floor got wet after a shower, but like I said, it was a very small issue - I simply used the floor mat to mop it up. Maybe others didn't like the 'airport-style' bathroom, but I thought it was spacious and easy to use.

Definitely a thumbs-up for this hotel, especially in expensive London where hotel costs easily go up into the hundreds.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Kind regards, Michael Böhler

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Recently I was down in London for a conference and needed somewhere central, on a reasonable budget and good quality so I opted for the Ibis Hotel based on trip advisor reviews. I have never been to this chain before but I was impressed with the general layout and feel of the hotel. I had a warm welcome at the door and my booking was found quickly and within 5 mins I had been directed to my room. The room was small but not uncomfortable, and everything seemed well laid out. The bathroom feels like you are in a bit of space pod but had a nice powerful shower (although had limited extras). I was a bit disappointed to find out the hotel doesn't do room service (as I was travelling alone) but instead you have to go down to the bar, order and then take it back upstairs. Not the most convenient. But saying that, there is a very nice communal atmosphere in the bar/diner downstairs and so I decided to just eat there and watch the football. The food was tasty (especially the steak) and quick, had good portion sizes and not to expensive for London. Once again I found the staff friendly and up for a bit of a laugh.
I found the bed to be comfortable and had a pretty good sleep so no complaints there.
Breakfast was included and I think this was the highlight of my stay. One of the best buffet style selections I have seen and for the meansly price of £9, what a bargain!! There is a wide variety of fruits, yoghurts, cheeses, pastries but most importantly the fry up selection was excellent.

Overall good quality hotel, only thing missing is leisure facilities (although for this price I would be surprised if they did) and I expect I will come again.

2  Thank jane-ewan

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the ibis London Blackfriars. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Michael Böhler

Reviewed March 2, 2013

IBIS is not a brand I would normally go for but I tried the IBIS Blackfriars last week for 3 weeks and have to say I was impressed. Great hotel, modern, functional, bedrooms are spacious and comfortable, the bathroom is a bit interesting but works perfectly. The satff from reception, to bar to restaurant could not be more welcoming. friendly and helpful (a plus for some London hotels!).

I really enjoyed my stay - would recommend this hotel and in future I will have to look at IBIS more often!

Room Tip: I was on the 13th floor with a good view....
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Excellent Hotel, very clean, pleaseant and modern. Its located within 5minutes of Southark Tube station and 15mins walk of Waterloo train station. I was down for the week on business and found this hotel really good and excellent for travelling around London.

Its fairly casual and realxed. The only thing bad was the lack of vegetarian food on the restraunt menu.

Room Tip: Facing Blackfirars room otherwise its a dull view to a office block
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the ibis London Blackfriars. We are working at the moment on the new menu and will take your comments in concideration. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Kind regards,
Michael Böhler

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I am quite open minded but I really do normally dislike Ibis Hotels, I've had some horrific experiences at them in the past but this was the only hotel in the area I needed to be at my price level so thought it would be fine for a night. Wow, how shocked I was that I actually really liked it! The staff were really firendly and asked if I wanted a quiet room further away from the lifts or closer save walking - i went for the quiet one as I was so tired and heard nothing all night.

The rooms are still very basic, especially when your paying over £100 but the bed was very comfortable with good TV and plenty of space. The breakfast was really good, still not on par with Premier Inn's in my opinion as they do offer more for the money but a good selection and all looked very fresh. The main area looked quite funky with plenty of speating for the evening and a nice bar.

Woudl highly recommend this for a few nights while in London, close to tube stations and also over ground.

Room Tip: Ask fro a quiet room, no street or lift noises.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Absolutely great hotel and great value for london, everything was very clean, ' trendy' with areas papered as the library, funky chairs, and all spotlessly clean, could nt fault it in any way, great price for london, loved the bathroom pods, two thickish towels, which is unuusal in budget priced hotels. Bed and pillows very comfortable, loved the matress topper

Enjoyed a meal in the evening first night as unsure where to go, very tasty and reasonably priced, bar prices not bad and it was nice to enjoy a drink in the library, breakfast good, though you had to be quick to get a table. would certainly go to an ibis again and this one. Staff very helpful