“Perfect for one night”

The Kensington Studios
Ranked #159 of 579 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The hotel room itself was brand new, modern & spotless. The studio & bathroom were small but stylish. The shower was high pressure & fab, there is a hob but no oven so bear that in mind if bringing your own food. All fine for one or two nights & really comfortable. Compared to some of the horrible rooms I've stayed in Central London before I think it is well worth the £80.00 I paid. It was very warm but I left the window open & it was fine. I arrived after 8pm & did struggle to work out how to get in......If you arrive after 6pm you have to walk around the corner to check in & get your key & then wave it at the door sensor. I will read the hotel blurb when booking next time! The staff member on reception was surly at best & totally disinterested in offering customer service but hey, I didn't go there to make friends. Clearly she didn't either. I was attending a trade fair at Olympia so the 5 minute walk was perfect. Would def stay again & have recommended to others.

Room Tip: Higher floors preferable -the room is too hot & I felt happier on a high floor with the window o...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We were visiting London to go to concert at O2 Empire in Shepherds Bush. The hotel is an easy 10 minute walk from the tube, 15 mins from venue. On arrival we were checked in within 5 minutes by a very pleasant and cheerful gentleman and settled in our room in the basement. It was large, airey and spotlessly clean with double and single bed. The room was equipped with mini kitchen and whilst small, the bathroom was perfectly adequate for a short stay. It was pleasantly warm in the room and there was an easy to use thermostat if we needed it. The bed was comfy although the pillow was a bit flat and could have done with a better or second one, but as I had consumed sufficient quantities of beer and whiskey this was not a problem! Checking out was easy, no queuing just leave key in room and go. Yes there was no service but this is exactly what you want when booking a studio to stay in. The only slight negative was that it was slightly noisy due to traffic noise, but please refer to my previous comment about whiskey and I would say that my snoring was louder than the traffic for most of the night.

Room Tip: We stayed in the basement room, next time I would try to go for a higher room, possilbly on the othe...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WIGHTWOODY
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

This place needs to reduce it prices quickly !! To start positives- rooms newly decorated and clean. Kensington area is fab!! Negatives- shower broke for whole two days - now we were finally offered to use another in the basement, but for a new place not good. Room was roasting. Could not figure out why. Had windows wide open but still so hot. Reception non exsistent and no info or staff. When staff was there not very friendly or informative when asked simple questions.
It is ok for basic B and B but not worth money spent.
Not gay friendly which is bizarre for A place in such a fab beautiful city.

• Stayed: February 2013
Aaron L, Manager at The Kensington Studios, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you very much for your review and pointing out the positives along with the negatives of your stay. I would like to apologise for the unfortunate issue you had with the shower which has of course been solved since your departure. We do hope that such an issue remains a one off and that you would have felt your stay to prove value for money otherwise. Furthermore, we are unsure why you feel that The Kensington Studios is not gay friendly as we wholly welcome anyone guest at the accommodation who would like to stay with us. Kind regards, Management.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I'm here right now and have to say how utterly terrible this place is despite all of the good reviews which I mistakenly based my decision to stay here on.

When I turned up there is a sign on the door to go to another hotel about 10 minute walk away in order to check in.

The room I am in is unbearably hot even with the window open the tiny crack it is limited to and all of the resultant street noise coming in. The heating/cooling controller seeming makes no difference whatsoever.

Worst of all, and I struggle to fathom this myself, there is quite literally no staff here (or even on call) to help. The only number that I was provided with was the hotel I checked in at who've told me that it's got nothing to do with them.

So here I am now, it's 11pm, I have absolutely no hope whatsoever of getting any sleep tonight and I'm just waiting for the morning to get the hell out.

Please do yourself a favour and avoid staying here.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank mysomic

Thank you very much for your review. It is very useful to hear feedback such as yours along with the positive feedback which you based your decision on. I would like to start my response by apologising for your experience with the member of staff at our sister hotel. Reception hours at the Kensington Studios are between 10am and 6pm daily as specified on every booking confirmation and with every booking agent. Outside of these hours, staff at our sister hotel (a few minute walk away) are obliged to deal with any potential issue at The Kensington Studios. This point has been made abundantly clear and your experience with the sister hotel should not happen again to other guests. On another note and with respect to the room being unbearably hot our maintenance team is still unsure why the air conditioning did not make the desired difference to the room temperature in your particular case. Unfortunately, the windows are indeed limited to a small crack due to health and safety reasons in the UK. Please accept our apologies and we would more than welcome you to stay at the Kensington Studios again to try and prove that your experience is not one that is typical to the vast majority of guests who stay with us. Kind regards, Management.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Having stayed in London many times over the years and rarely found a good hotel it was a pleasure to find The Kensington Studios.

The check-in was a bit chaotic and it looks like a private house from the outside, but the rooms were very nice and the WiFi worked great, even though I was on the top floor.

Very comfortable bed and quiet enough to get a good nights sleep.

Will definately be staying again the next time I visit London.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank GJP72
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Brand New place, very kind staff, very clena rooms and great Bathroom.
The building is all restored, viedo camera s security, internet wi fi and elevator.
Excellent price for London.
Not too far from the Subway, taxi needed at night.

Room Tip: best to take rooms that face the backayard , less noise
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

What a great place - I will never stay in a hotel again. Super new, super clean, super fresh, couldn't be any better.

Flat screen TV, great bed - memory mattress I think, tiny little kitchen with microwave, Indian restaurant round the corner.

Rain shower, the one which pours down on you.

• Stayed: October 2012