“Above average French grub”
Review of Assiette Anglaise - CLOSED

Assiette Anglaise
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 27, 2013

A charming little bistro with a wonderful atmosphere. We went for Sunday brunch. We had made ressies for 1200 but they were unneeded as there were few people there when we arrived. Surprising given the quality of the food. I had a Bloody Mary and the boif had a mimosa. The bloody M did not benefit from the addition of red wine (?) in it. Floating sherry, I can deal with that, but red wine? We get it you're French. The mimosa was much the superior drink. Classic. No funny additions there. For mains, boif had the scrambled eggs which were well cooked and not at all rubbery. A sign of a good kitchen is one which can cook eggs. I had the Toulouse breakfast. Delish. Simple rustic brunch. The coffees were a bit cold, but I can forgive them for that. When we left the place was beginning to become more crowded. I will definitely give it a try for dinner.

1  Thank Chris M
There are newer reviews for Assiette Anglaise

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Went for dinner here last night as I'd heard only good things about the place and was delighted to discover that the reviews were right! The menu was innovative and well thought out, the food was superb (I had crispy frogs legs and canard - both divine) and the service was top class. Met the owner, Ludo, who was very pleasant and welcoming and I would recommend anyone with a love of French cuisine or French-inspired cuisine to give this place a go...

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Really disappointed with my dinner last night. The menu was claiming to be French but the food was far from it. My steak tartare was poorly seasoned, it was not a steak tartare but raw mince meat. The bouillabaisse was a bad joke! I thought may be they had served the wrong dish. It was also extremely uncomfortable as the waiters continually brushed past us as there was limited space between our table and the over sized bar. Waste of my time and money.

8  Thank MollieArchie
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Visited the restaurant with my partner on a Friday evening. Pleasant decor and helpful staff. Menu is not long but it is an excellent collection of quality dishes. Just loved everything from starter to dessert. Can highly recommend this place.

Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

I'm local to hear and had driven past many times. Decided to head there one fri eve for dinner with my boyfriend. Staff very helpful, friendly but not at all pushy. Menu was really impressive. I wanted everything! Quality of food was great. Really fresh and flavoursome. Decor is nice. I'd definitely return. Would highly recommend.