“Average”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“Average”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Not really sure how this has had such high ratings in the past - have never thought it was particularly brilliant but fine for a hangover breakfast and coffee, however after today's truly appalling service & overpriced food I felt compelled to write a review. If overpriced & average is your bag this is fine, but it felt today like an islington restaurant with a sense of entitlement. Won't be back.

Visited November 2013

Glasgow
“Relaxed and delicious”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

The surroundings are pleasantly relaxed and the staff are cool and caring (a difficult combo to pull off). The food is delicious and the wine list is well chosen. Both food and drink are very fairly priced. It was a special experience.

• Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“A plate of French yumminess in Islington”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Wow. I had a feeling the food was going to be good as I love to pop into Le Peche Mignon, a little hidden gem in Islington run by the same owner. I wasn't disappointed. Assiette Anglaise has a simple, understated ambience; laid back French waiters; and unpretentious prices. The food was excellent and transported us back to fond memories of holidays in France.

We had a platter of saucisson, gherkins and rustic bread to start with; simple, good quality ingredients. We followed this with a delicious dish of tender, melt in your mouth, beef cheek served in a hearty sauce with onions, savoy cabbage and potatoes dauphinoise. For dessert, we had an almond mille feuille served with tasty plums. All of this was punctuated by a carafe of excellent French red wine. What more could you want?

We'll definitely be going back and I will even risk taking the biggest food critic I know, my French dad.

• Visited October 2013
“First Time Visit”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I thought this restaurant was going to be overpriced and pretentious before I went. However it really was excellent. The staff were amazing. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank fred1122
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Superb food in simple surroundings”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

You might expect a restaurant called the Assiette Anglaise in the heart of residential Islington to be painfully trendy, pretentious.and expensive. Not so. This is a lovely little eatery where the food is king and the service exemplary.

The French-influenced menu is quite short but offers more than enough for most tastes. As well as starters each, we ordered for sharing a plate of one of their speciality air-dried hams - utterly delicious and further improved by the appearance of a second, complimentary platter!

Every mouthful went down a treat in our party of six; quail in a mouthwatering jus, belly of pork, onglet of beef... and my own bouillabaisse which was unusually tomato-y in flavour and texture but all the tastier for it.

The wine list is extensive, although on Thursdays they apparently have a bring-your-own evening where corkage is just £3 (we went on a Wednesday, grrrr!).

Service by two helpful guys was highly professional in an informal kind of way. I couldn't help noticing that one of them stood back unobtrusively until there was a break in conversation before presenting menus, bills etc. That's class.

Bill came to about £45 a head - not exactly cheap until I realised almost half was down to my son and his expensive taste in vino which gets even more expensive when I'm paying.

If I had one criticism, it's that the decor is a bit stark, presumably to lend a minimalist bistro-ish atmosphere. But one man's stark is another man's cluttered and it did nothing to spoil a splendid evening's dining.

• Visited August 2013