“A plate of French yumminess in Islington” 5 of 5 stars

489 Liverpool Road | Islington, London N7 8NS, England
020 7609 0300
Website
Improve this listing
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
London, United Kingdom
“A plate of French yumminess in Islington”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Wow. I had a feeling the food was going to be good as I love to pop into Le Peche Mignon, a little hidden gem in Islington run by the same owner. I wasn't disappointed. Assiette Anglaise has a simple, understated ambience; laid back French waiters; and unpretentious prices. The food was excellent and transported us back to fond memories of holidays in France.

We had a platter of saucisson, gherkins and rustic bread to start with; simple, good quality ingredients. We followed this with a delicious dish of tender, melt in your mouth, beef cheek served in a hearty sauce with onions, savoy cabbage and potatoes dauphinoise. For dessert, we had an almond mille feuille served with tasty plums. All of this was punctuated by a carafe of excellent French red wine. What more could you want?

We'll definitely be going back and I will even risk taking the biggest food critic I know, my French dad.

• Visited October 2013

“First Time Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I thought this restaurant was going to be overpriced and pretentious before I went. However it really was excellent. The staff were amazing. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank fred1122
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Superb food in simple surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

You might expect a restaurant called the Assiette Anglaise in the heart of residential Islington to be painfully trendy, pretentious.and expensive. Not so. This is a lovely little eatery where the food is king and the service exemplary.

The French-influenced menu is quite short but offers more than enough for most tastes. As well as starters each, we ordered for sharing a plate of one of their speciality air-dried hams - utterly delicious and further improved by the appearance of a second, complimentary platter!

Every mouthful went down a treat in our party of six; quail in a mouthwatering jus, belly of pork, onglet of beef... and my own bouillabaisse which was unusually tomato-y in flavour and texture but all the tastier for it.

The wine list is extensive, although on Thursdays they apparently have a bring-your-own evening where corkage is just £3 (we went on a Wednesday, grrrr!).

Service by two helpful guys was highly professional in an informal kind of way. I couldn't help noticing that one of them stood back unobtrusively until there was a break in conversation before presenting menus, bills etc. That's class.

Bill came to about £45 a head - not exactly cheap until I realised almost half was down to my son and his expensive taste in vino which gets even more expensive when I'm paying.

If I had one criticism, it's that the decor is a bit stark, presumably to lend a minimalist bistro-ish atmosphere. But one man's stark is another man's cluttered and it did nothing to spoil a splendid evening's dining.

• Visited August 2013
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Excellent food,friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I thought this restaurant was going to be overpriced and pretentious before I went. However it really was excellent. The staff were amazing. It is without a doubt one of the best meals/experience I have had.

• Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“The perfect Brunch or Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Delicious tasty food. Exceptional coffee, croissants and brunch. Great service. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited April 2013