“Great stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich
Ranked #168 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stayed here over the weekend as we were going to a concert at the O2. Not the closest hotel to the O2 however it's not far and very easy to get to using the DLR. Thus actually turned out to be an advantage at the end of the night as most people headed for the underground and very few for the DLR.
Now for the hotel itself, I can't fault it in any way, our room was on the ninth floor and gad a spectacular view over the city. As there was a function in the dining room on the Saturday , we were advised that food was available in the bar as an alternative and it was absolutely fine . The bar itself is very comfortable and a very pleasant place to relax. Breakfast was particularly good with extremely good quality sausages and bacon and a wide variety of other things to choose from. The bedroom was spacious, immaculately clean and had everything you could ever need, the bathroom maybe a little on the small side and the only downside I would comment on, is the glass door! I personally found every single member of staff to be very polite and welcoming especially those on reception. An absolute plus is the car park, which we were lucky enough to book as they have very limited spaces, and at £12 per day was a complete bargain for London parking. The area itself is far from good, but this hotel us definately the jewel in the crown and I won't hesitate to stay there again particularly when visiting the O2 as it was so easy to access.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HantsTraveller22
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your kind review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and the breakfast. Myself and the team are very proud of our privilege rooms which offer additional amenities such as a nespresso machine. Thank you for your nice comments about the front desk team. I will certainly pass your feedback onto the team. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Spent one night at this hotel and couldn't fault it. Lovely bright and spacious room. Didn't have a problem with the glass door to bathroom.
Our room was on 4th floor which overlooked the car park, which we used. Very safe and secure place to park and only costs £12.
Ideal for visiting Greenwich and close for the DLR.
Also had breakfast which was buffet style and tasty!
Overall spacious room compared to alot we've stayed in, in London and good value for money.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest, Thank you for comments. I am glad you had a good stay with us and that you could benefit from the fantastic transport links just on our doorstep. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

I booked this hotel as we were seeing a show at the O2 in April and it was brilliant.

We arrived at this hotel in the afternoon, greeted by two very pleasant members of reception staff. I did have to leave the £50 deposit which I wasn't prepared for, but it really wasn't the end of the world. We were checked in efficiently and given our key cards and guide towards our room.

We had a lovely twin room towards one end on 4th floor, which was very quiet, and as I requested on a higher floor. I didn't fell that the glass door was a problem , really, as I was sharing with my sister. The television was great, having all of the room controls including air con, which made it easy to control as air con panels can sometimes be tricky. The room was very warm throughout the night so we did need to have the air con running throughout, which for some might have been too loud, although I don't have a problem with this. It would have been easier to have the window ajar, but you can't seem to open them. There was a lovely edition of an ice machine just down the corridor, which was good as the room was warm in the night.

We ordered food from the hotel before going to a show at the O2, food was lovely and substantial portions too. The reception staff were more than happy to arrange a taxi which was very prompt, and at a great price.

It was very quiet in the hotel and pretty good transport links with the DLR line very close by. The reception staff were more than happy to keep our bags for the afternoon after we'd checked out as we spent the day out at Westfield.

Overall very happy with the service, and topped of a great evening at a show. We'd definitely choose this hotel when looking at booking shows at the O2 again! I'd also pay for a slightly bigger room on one of the top 2 floors, as these are the ones that give you a great view over London, which we saw on a lovely day on the viewing platform.

Room Tip: I'd go for a higher room if possible and one towards the end where the lifts are, as this is ver...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest, Thank you for your lovely comments and for sharing your experience with us. We are truly delighted that you and your sister had a great stay with us. It is fantastic to read that you would stay with us again when in the area and I am sure you would also enjoy a privilege room. Those are bigger in size and offer extra amenities and toiletries and not to forget the fantastic views across London which become even more spectacular during the night. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Me and my friend stayed here just at the end of march to see a concert at the o2. Hotel was on a quiet street, not hard to find at all, tesco express was literally around the corner and the DLR behind that! Walking in I was impressed with the decor but I wasn't really that impressed with the reception staff. Unfriendly and one of them completely disregarded my request as she couldn't understand what I was saying! I was asked for a £50 deposit stating "company policy". After reading about this on trip advisor I looked at every area on their website, not once did it state a deposit fee. Seeing as I had paid in advance I didn't expect it at all! (If £50 isn't something you're willing to give, photographed identification is the alternative) we were given a room on the first floor, I was apprehensive about what to expect after reading about air con complaints etc but our room was very nice! Especially for the price paid we feel we got our money's worth! The tv/light control system was great and the bed was extremely comfortable! The O2 is 20 mins away by car and Central is just over 30 ! If you were to ask if I would stay there again, I would say yes, If you're a family maybe look elsewhere, but if you're looking for a modern overnight stay in London for a great price this is your place!

• Stayed: March 2014
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review. I am glad you liked the hotel décor and enjoyed the room with its features. I am delighted to read that you would stay with us again even though you were not happy with the way the front desk team handled the pre-authorization request. I am genuinely sorry you felt that way and please let me assure you that due to the hotel policy the team are required taking a pre-authorization upon check-in but do accept a valid photo ID if the room is pre-paid. Always check the Mercure website for the best deals and the earlier you book the cheaper it will be. We hope you will be able to get another good deal and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Before posting this review, I went back and forth in my head about the proper rating. I was torn between 2 stars and 3 stars. As I wrote my review yesterday, on my last morning at this hotel, I was waiting for the ice cold shower water to heat up. I checked it every 20 or 30 minutes, and a few hours later, as my window of time was winding down, it was still ice cold. As you can imagine, I wasn't happy about leaving a city and spending a few hours at the airport and 8 hours on a plane without a nice hot shower. Then, just as I was finishing my lengthy online review, the hotel's internet connection was lost again, and my review was lost. As I checked out 30 minutes later, I had the same disinterested attitude from the front desk personnel that I had received all week. And this was after several attempts to get assistance with printing shipping labels (for which I was charged 9 pence per page for a few sheets of paper) and shipping a few packages via a UPS pickup at the hotel. They never responded to my email message at the front desk, and they seemed to have no idea about such things as assistance with shipping out a few boxes. In this day and age, that's hard to believe. Since my overall experience continued to go downhill, I went with the 2-star overall rating. It wasn't all bad, and there were certainly some bright spots during my 8-day stay, but there were far more annoyances than bright spots. As you enter the hotel, which is tucked away between the "marginal" area of Greenwich and the "better" area of Greenwich, you walk up the red carpet to small-ish awkward glass doors, and into a small but beautiful lobby area. The lounge and restaurant are equally beautiful in décor and atmosphere. My (apparently standard) room was much smaller than I expected, even for a European hotel. The bed area was only about 1.9 meters wide. The room was so small that when I attempted to close the window drape, I had to step over the corner of the bed, duck around the hanging television, tilt the floor lamp backward with one hand, pull the chain a few inches at a time with the other hand so that the drape cleared the lamp shade, until the window was covered. I turned and smacked my head on the television as I was trying to step back over the corner of the bed. It took me a while to figure out that, once inside the room, you have to stick your key card into the slot in the wall and control lighting and A/C by the television, which I found to be extremely awkward. If you enter your room at night and forget to stick your key card into the slot, all the lights will click off completely in just a couple of minutes, which caused me to stub my toe several times in the confined space (searching in total darkness for a way to turn on the lights) before I learned the hard way to immediately stick the key card into the slot. And the A/C, which can be set to 21C via the television, automatically goes back to 24C, which seems even warmer because of the heavy comforter. I sleep better in a cold room, but I could never get it cold enough for a good night's sleep. There is a frosted glass wall between the bed area and the bathroom, with historical facts about the history of Greenwich, a very nice decorative touch. The bathroom is beautifully done, but it has its issues. It was difficult to get the faucet to turn off, so every time I used the sink, I had to keep raising and lowering the lever in different positions until I found just the right position to turn off the water. The shower water was never actually "hot," but was adequate for daily showers. . . . until the last day, when it was ice cold all morning. The large shower head is very nice, directly overhead, but the confines don't allow much space for soaping up and then rinsing off. And the small "plastic-ish" soap bar is of little value. The tiny ledge under the mirror doesn't offer much space for toiletries. Housekeeping seemed to do a marginal job of cleaning, leaving visible residue on stainless or glass areas from using a seemingly dirty wash rag. And they continued to leave (and not replace) my dirty water glasses. The television signal constantly lost its signal, as did the internet, and the television show and movie options are quite limited and disappointing. The food from the restaurant was actually one of the few bright spots. Breakfasts were consistently very good, with plenty of options and quality food. The coffee wasn't great, but that seems to be the case everywhere in London, sorry to say. We ate dinner several nights in the same restaurant, and the dinners were actually very good, especially for a hotel. We were fortunate enough to be served on numerous occasions by Sophie, who was probably the best server I've ever met . . . PERIOD! Sophie is what everyone in the hospitality industry should aspire to be. She was easily the biggest bright spot amongst quite a few disappointments during our stay. To be fair, another female server (I believe her name may be Wendy) was also quite good, and managed to juggle an entire restaurant of guests in an evening when they appeared to be quite understaffed. The bar tenders were good, and for the most part, the restaurant staff was good, but Wendy (?) was exceptional, and Sophie was far beyond exceptional. If the owner or General Manager happen to be reading this review, my unsolicited advice to you is to immediately move Sophie into a management position, where she can train other personnel (primarily front desk personnel) how to properly engage guests with a smile and a genuine caring for their comfort and well-being during their stay. Most of the front desk personnel just seem to be going through the motions, and don't speak or understand English as well as they perhaps should in that important position, and they just don't seem to genuinely care about providing a service to their guests. In my humble opinion, ownership may be placing too much emphasis on decor, and not enough on service and functionality. For me, it's usually the small things that matter most during a hotel stay. In a way, this hotel could be sort of a hidden gem, and it has some definite bright spots, but I experienced far too many frustrations to recommend it to others seeking a good hotel in the Greenwich region of London.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank David H

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. It is much appreciated as it does provide us with the ability to improve upon the guest experience. Reading your comments, it appears not everything was perfect and I am disappointed that we failed to meet your expectations. I would like to sincerely apologise for the lack of hot water which you experienced on your last day of your stay. I completely understand your disappointment as the provision of hot water is one of the most basic requirements of the hotel. I am glad that we were able to solve the issue swiftly and on a permanent basis. I am concerned regarding your comments regarding the front desk team not being very helpful and please rest assured that I have already addressed this with the front office manager and her team. On a positive note I am delighted that you found the service in the restaurant and bar much better and that you were in particular happy with the service Sophie and Wendy have provided. I have already passed your comments to both and they were absolutely delighted with your feedback. Sophie has only recently joined the team and I can only agree with you that we are very fortunate to have her on board. We are currently increasing the number of staff at front desk, bar and restaurant as we are getting busier and to further improve the service we provide. Again, I would like to thank you for your feedback and we very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We chose the Mercure for its location near Lewisham. The staff was gracious and seemed to be always available. We took one of the top floor rooms with a great view of the London skyline. It was very clean. You had to transfer elevators to get to our floor and it was so slow that we realized that without luggage it was easier and faster going the one flight on foot. The room size was okay, not overly spacious, though it did have a desk with a coffee corner in a separate alcove which was nice. The bathroom fixtures were modern and impressive. We loved the Nespresso machine (with a daily capsule supply) in the room. We had breakfast at the hotel just once and it was only mediocre. We didn't spot any nice breakfast places in the immediate vicinity. The closest train line is less than a 5 minute walk away on a safe but not very attractive street.

Room Tip: Room 903 has a beautiful view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your kind review. I am glad you had a good stay with us and that you enjoyed the extra amenities you get when you book a privilege room. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Comfortable hotel, which handled a lively, very sociable wedding with unobtrusive cheerfulness and efficiency. The staff were always friendly and eager to help and the hotel was stylish and relaxed. The buidling used to be a police station, but the small, high window in our room was the only thing to betray its probable former life as a holding cell. It was comfotable, well-equipped and quite spacious for a London hotel room. The public areas also betray their origins in their low ceilings but the architects have done an excellent job in translating this into a sense of intimacy and human scale. The long, narrow, low rooms reminded me of a rather nice classic cruise ship - a nuce change from kitschy chandeliers and splurges of unconvincing gilt.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, liked the stylish décor and found the team friendly and eager to help. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.