“Walks the walk...”

Ranked #192 of 1,063 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Walks the walk...”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Me and my friend stayed here just at the end of march to see a concert at the o2. Hotel was on a quiet street, not hard to find at all, tesco express was literally around the corner and the DLR behind that! Walking in I was impressed with the decor but I wasn't really that impressed with the reception staff. Unfriendly and one of them completely disregarded my request as she couldn't understand what I was saying! I was asked for a £50 deposit stating "company policy". After reading about this on trip advisor I looked at every area on their website, not once did it state a deposit fee. Seeing as I had paid in advance I didn't expect it at all! (If £50 isn't something you're willing to give, photographed identification is the alternative) we were given a room on the first floor, I was apprehensive about what to expect after reading about air con complaints etc but our room was very nice! Especially for the price paid we feel we got our money's worth! The tv/light control system was great and the bed was extremely comfortable! The O2 is 20 mins away by car and Central is just over 30 ! If you were to ask if I would stay there again, I would say yes, If you're a family maybe look elsewhere, but if you're looking for a modern overnight stay in London for a great price this is your place!

• Stayed March 2014
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review. I am glad you liked the hotel décor and enjoyed the room with its features. I am delighted to read that you would stay with us again even though you were not happy with the way the front desk team handled the pre-authorization request. I am genuinely sorry you felt that way and please let me assure you that due to the hotel policy the team are required taking a pre-authorization upon check-in but do accept a valid photo ID if the room is pre-paid. Always check the Mercure website for the best deals and the earlier you book the cheaper it will be. We hope you will be able to get another good deal and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Before posting this review, I went back and forth in my head about the proper rating. I was torn between 2 stars and 3 stars. As I wrote my review yesterday, on my last morning at this hotel, I was waiting for the ice cold shower water to heat up. I checked it every 20 or 30 minutes, and a few hours later, as my window of time was winding down, it was still ice cold. As you can imagine, I wasn't happy about leaving a city and spending a few hours at the airport and 8 hours on a plane without a nice hot shower. Then, just as I was finishing my lengthy online review, the hotel's internet connection was lost again, and my review was lost. As I checked out 30 minutes later, I had the same disinterested attitude from the front desk personnel that I had received all week. And this was after several attempts to get assistance with printing shipping labels (for which I was charged 9 pence per page for a few sheets of paper) and shipping a few packages via a UPS pickup at the hotel. They never responded to my email message at the front desk, and they seemed to have no idea about such things as assistance with shipping out a few boxes. In this day and age, that's hard to believe. Since my overall experience continued to go downhill, I went with the 2-star overall rating. It wasn't all bad, and there were certainly some bright spots during my 8-day stay, but there were far more annoyances than bright spots. As you enter the hotel, which is tucked away between the "marginal" area of Greenwich and the "better" area of Greenwich, you walk up the red carpet to small-ish awkward glass doors, and into a small but beautiful lobby area. The lounge and restaurant are equally beautiful in décor and atmosphere. My (apparently standard) room was much smaller than I expected, even for a European hotel. The bed area was only about 1.9 meters wide. The room was so small that when I attempted to close the window drape, I had to step over the corner of the bed, duck around the hanging television, tilt the floor lamp backward with one hand, pull the chain a few inches at a time with the other hand so that the drape cleared the lamp shade, until the window was covered. I turned and smacked my head on the television as I was trying to step back over the corner of the bed. It took me a while to figure out that, once inside the room, you have to stick your key card into the slot in the wall and control lighting and A/C by the television, which I found to be extremely awkward. If you enter your room at night and forget to stick your key card into the slot, all the lights will click off completely in just a couple of minutes, which caused me to stub my toe several times in the confined space (searching in total darkness for a way to turn on the lights) before I learned the hard way to immediately stick the key card into the slot. And the A/C, which can be set to 21C via the television, automatically goes back to 24C, which seems even warmer because of the heavy comforter. I sleep better in a cold room, but I could never get it cold enough for a good night's sleep. There is a frosted glass wall between the bed area and the bathroom, with historical facts about the history of Greenwich, a very nice decorative touch. The bathroom is beautifully done, but it has its issues. It was difficult to get the faucet to turn off, so every time I used the sink, I had to keep raising and lowering the lever in different positions until I found just the right position to turn off the water. The shower water was never actually "hot," but was adequate for daily showers. . . . until the last day, when it was ice cold all morning. The large shower head is very nice, directly overhead, but the confines don't allow much space for soaping up and then rinsing off. And the small "plastic-ish" soap bar is of little value. The tiny ledge under the mirror doesn't offer much space for toiletries. Housekeeping seemed to do a marginal job of cleaning, leaving visible residue on stainless or glass areas from using a seemingly dirty wash rag. And they continued to leave (and not replace) my dirty water glasses. The television signal constantly lost its signal, as did the internet, and the television show and movie options are quite limited and disappointing. The food from the restaurant was actually one of the few bright spots. Breakfasts were consistently very good, with plenty of options and quality food. The coffee wasn't great, but that seems to be the case everywhere in London, sorry to say. We ate dinner several nights in the same restaurant, and the dinners were actually very good, especially for a hotel. We were fortunate enough to be served on numerous occasions by Sophie, who was probably the best server I've ever met . . . PERIOD! Sophie is what everyone in the hospitality industry should aspire to be. She was easily the biggest bright spot amongst quite a few disappointments during our stay. To be fair, another female server (I believe her name may be Wendy) was also quite good, and managed to juggle an entire restaurant of guests in an evening when they appeared to be quite understaffed. The bar tenders were good, and for the most part, the restaurant staff was good, but Wendy (?) was exceptional, and Sophie was far beyond exceptional. If the owner or General Manager happen to be reading this review, my unsolicited advice to you is to immediately move Sophie into a management position, where she can train other personnel (primarily front desk personnel) how to properly engage guests with a smile and a genuine caring for their comfort and well-being during their stay. Most of the front desk personnel just seem to be going through the motions, and don't speak or understand English as well as they perhaps should in that important position, and they just don't seem to genuinely care about providing a service to their guests. In my humble opinion, ownership may be placing too much emphasis on decor, and not enough on service and functionality. For me, it's usually the small things that matter most during a hotel stay. In a way, this hotel could be sort of a hidden gem, and it has some definite bright spots, but I experienced far too many frustrations to recommend it to others seeking a good hotel in the Greenwich region of London.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank David H
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. It is much appreciated as it does provide us with the ability to improve upon the guest experience. Reading your comments, it appears not everything was perfect and I am disappointed that we failed to meet your expectations. I would like to sincerely apologise for the lack of hot water which you experienced on your last day of your stay. I completely understand your disappointment as the provision of hot water is one of the most basic requirements of the hotel. I am glad that we were able to solve the issue swiftly and on a permanent basis. I am concerned regarding your comments regarding the front desk team not being very helpful and please rest assured that I have already addressed this with the front office manager and her team. On a positive note I am delighted that you found the service in the restaurant and bar much better and that you were in particular happy with the service Sophie and Wendy have provided. I have already passed your comments to both and they were absolutely delighted with your feedback. Sophie has only recently joined the team and I can only agree with you that we are very fortunate to have her on board. We are currently increasing the number of staff at front desk, bar and restaurant as we are getting busier and to further improve the service we provide. Again, I would like to thank you for your feedback and we very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
Israel
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We chose the Mercure for its location near Lewisham. The staff was gracious and seemed to be always available. We took one of the top floor rooms with a great view of the London skyline. It was very clean. You had to transfer elevators to get to our floor and it was so slow that we realized that without luggage it was easier and faster going the one flight on foot. The room size was okay, not overly spacious, though it did have a desk with a coffee corner in a separate alcove which was nice. The bathroom fixtures were modern and impressive. We loved the Nespresso machine (with a daily capsule supply) in the room. We had breakfast at the hotel just once and it was only mediocre. We didn't spot any nice breakfast places in the immediate vicinity. The closest train line is less than a 5 minute walk away on a safe but not very attractive street.

Room Tip: Room 903 has a beautiful view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your kind review. I am glad you had a good stay with us and that you enjoyed the extra amenities you get when you book a privilege room. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Comfortable hotel, which handled a lively, very sociable wedding with unobtrusive cheerfulness and efficiency. The staff were always friendly and eager to help and the hotel was stylish and relaxed. The buidling used to be a police station, but the small, high window in our room was the only thing to betray its probable former life as a holding cell. It was comfotable, well-equipped and quite spacious for a London hotel room. The public areas also betray their origins in their low ceilings but the architects have done an excellent job in translating this into a sense of intimacy and human scale. The long, narrow, low rooms reminded me of a rather nice classic cruise ship - a nuce change from kitschy chandeliers and splurges of unconvincing gilt.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, liked the stylish décor and found the team friendly and eager to help. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
Newcastle
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Was staying with my teenage son in a twin room, and thought it would be a real treat for us. Unfortunately it was completely ruined to the point of being upsetting by the complete lack of privacy in the shower/toilet due to the glass sliding door and glass wall - even covered with a semi opaque film you can still see straight through. As it's not hinged from a certain angle you can actually see directly in, which is completely inappropriate for a mum travelling with a teenage son! So had to use the public toilets down the corridor each time to get dressed, undressed and go to the loo (passing the bar on the way back in PJs, wonderful) and forget about having showers in the morning. Whoever signed off the bathrooms as being a good idea must have been deluded (the phrase emperor's new clothes seems more than apt/ironic in this instance!), and the hotel should state that it's inappropriate for certain demographics... Which was unfortunately ours. Would love a refund, as for us the bathroom wasn't usable and we paid for one that was, so also feel ripped off! Thought staying in a hotel was meant to be a pleasant experience, not one where you come out of feeling embarrassed and dirty due to the lack of being able to have a shower. On the plus side staff are lovely, and obviously used to dealing with a high level of complaints about this.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank RomanaMax
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay. I am however pleased to inform you that we have plans to cover the bathroom doors with a non-transparent film to ensure more privacy. The works will start within the next few weeks and I would like to thank you for highlighting such matter to us as it does provide us with the ability to improve upon the guest experience and ensure that we work to eliminate such concerns as you experienced. Please feel free to contact me on jweiss@the-greenwich.co.uk if you wish to discuss this further.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

It's a beautiful hotel with nice finish and touch. Great staff and great service. Not cheap thought. I am not sure having old insect on the ceiling it's nice view but hey ho. Vey nice breakfast. Some misses in final touches. Damaged bedroom Mirror, noisy air condition. Insanely comfy beds.

• Stayed March 2014
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. Glad you liked the hotel even though you found it a bit expensive. It appears that not everything was perfect with your stay and I will be addressing these issues with the management of the relevant areas. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Being an employee at a Mercure in Hertfordshire, I took good advantage of my 30% discount to book this hotel for my partner & I while visiting London to celebrate our annivserary - although I would more than happily pay full price as this hotel is fabulous.

I had contacted the hotel in advance to request a room with a nice view and we were allocated a room on the 5th floor (thank you again for that!).

Check in was warm & welcoming. Bedroom/bathroom were spotlessly clean, spacious and beautifully furnished. Breakfast was delicious and the waitress that greeted us was superb and always so quick to make sure everything was OK.

We enjoyed our stay so much that we have decided to return next month for an overnight stop when we see Matilda at the Cambridge Theatre.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Dear Jake M, Thank you for your very kind review. I am delighted the team made you feel welcome and that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Fantastic to hear that you liked it so much that you will be back next month. We look forward to welcoming you and your partner back very soon.