“Substandard rooms / Deptford not Greenwich”

DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich
Ranked #167 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Firstly this hotel is in Deptford not Greenwich, we payed for a privilege room that was supposed to have views of London, we had views of a building site and air con units.
The room was small, with a glass door to the bathroom, that you could watch your partner using the toilet. You might like this....... we didn't.
This was our eighth wedding anniversary, when we complained we were told all the rooms were the same. Subsequently we didn't have an a useable toilet and resorted in using the one in the lobby.
Try the De Vere Greenwich it's next to the park, and I'm sure they have doors that offer some privacy.

Room Tip: Do not upgrade, as the rooms are the same. Stay elsewhere.
1  Thank Suzanne H
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy this experience. We have plans to cover the bathroom doors with non-transparent material in all of our twin bedded rooms and we hope you will consider us again in the future.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

As so often on our trips back to the UK we had to head all over the place. One evening we had to be in North West London and the following afternoon out by Ashford. So we chose Greenwich and the Mecure as a convenient overnight spot.

Our room was compact but nicely laid out. The bathroom door was a frosted glass thing that included a full history of the Greenwich.
The bed was remarkably comfortable.

There was some mechanical noise for outside the window but nothing too annoying or that would keep us awake.
We sampled a quick drink before bed and in the morning breakfast was very tasty.

We got a great deal on this hotel. Not sure if it would have been worth the rack rate but sure was for the 87 pounds we paid.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind review. I am glad you like the hotel and were able to get a good deal. Always check the Mercure website for our best offers and the earlier you book the cheaper it will be. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for 2 nights between 22-24th Feb. On the booking I had specified a quiet room and a high floor but ended up on the 1st floor out of 9. Can't complain though as this was a request and not a guarantee.

We managed to check in 1 hour before official check in time which was at 2pm. Our 1st problem was the receptionist tried to take the cost of the stay plus a £50 open tab before we received our room keys. Because we had booked the hotel and paid beforehand through superbreak I did wonder why this was the case. It ended up being a misunderstanding but it was a bit of a kick in the groin exspecially after he had been asked twice if he wanted to see our booking confirmation to which he had declined.

The second problem was paying/securing £50 against a credit/debit card on arrival is compulsory and is NOT advised at the time of booking so do bear that in mind, it will dent your available spending money.

The room we had was 122, right at the back in what felt like its own wing as our main door was separated by another, this I think definitely helped with the reduced noise request. It didn't help with the sound of sewage pipes though as it sometimes sounded like the main pipe passed close by our room.

The room was nice, finished to a high standard, not small but long and thin. The TV is hung from the ceiling and can be tilted. There is a mirrored double wardrobe an a big mirror at the bed head which aids making the room feel bigger than it is. I have to say they have used the mirrors well in this room it definitely works well.

The room could do with an extra half a metre each side of the bed though as you have to sidestep up to the top which can become a pain. The TV remote has room controls so you can turn the lights on/off from your bed and amend the heating (Problem number 3: the heating is non existent, it was warmer in the corridors, the room was constantly cold) so that eliminates any arguments as to who's turning off the lights.

The hotel had a viewing deck, although when I did try to get onto it at approx 6:30 on a Saturday the door was locked. Wether you have to request a key for it I'm not sure but I never chased it up and wasn't too disappointed.

Complimentary wifi is available, but only if your stand by the door if your in room 122 and even then you receive 1 bar signal strength out of 3. I would have had to demand a refund if I would have paid for it as that is sub-par service.

Breakfast is £15pp, but £10pp if you book in advance. I never had any breakfast so I can't comment anything other than I think they would benefit from lowering that price.

Would I stay here again, on looks alone then yes but for overall service I would have to say no. The hotel is a really nicely decorated building with lovely finished rooms, definately one of the swankier hotels I've visited bit I can't help thinking my experience could have been better. A lower cost of breakfast, actually providing the robes which they advertise, heating & wifi that worked well and removing the compulsory £50 tab would serve to make this a better hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. I am glad that overall you seemed to have enjoyed your stay but I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with the hotels overall services. I can assure you that it is common practise amongst hotels to take a pre-authorisation by the time of check-in. Depending on the hotel usually an amount of £50 per night is reserved in order to cover for any additional charges such as bar, restaurant, telephone and laundry charges, etc. The pre-authorisation will be released on check-out and it is mentioned in our T&C’s. Due to health and safety reasons we are required to keep the viewing deck locked if not in use but are happy to open it for any guests that would like to enjoy the panoramic views over London. Should you stay with us again please speak to the front desk team as they will be happy to open the viewing deck for you. Thank you for highlighting the issue you experienced with the Wi-Fi connectivity and please rest assured that I have already addressed this with our internet provider. I appreciate your comments as it helps us to improve the service we provide and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Me & My partner stayed here on valentines day for one night and had a great stay.
The room was on the 4th floor with nice views. Very clean and beautiful decor. We waited a while to check in but it was quite busy being valentines day.
I would defiantly recommend a stay here. And we will be returning.

• Stayed: February 2014
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

after some serious searching checking out hotels in the area as going to a concert very close to o2 arena this was the final choice, After driving down from the midlands the hotel was reasonably easy to find,Check in was straight forward but a little laboured ,getting to the room a little adventure as on the 9th floor! lifts only going to 8th. The room itself very swish & having all bits & bobs for very comfortable stay. only gripe would have been in the bathroom as when having a shower managing to flood the bathroom floor! no issues with any noise & being so high up Did have amazing views the next morning! Breakfast/Restaurant very easy with help yourself buffet service - Have no issues with this hotel & will be back for sure when visiting London.

Room Tip: Privilege rooms are the best as being on higher floors-
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Janine W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and were happy with the room and amenities that were provided. I have noted your comment regarding the wet bathroom floor and have informed our maintenance team to rectify the issue. I am delighted to read that you will stay with us again when visiting London and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I booked this hotel from all the other places as they offer the most reasonably priced Valentine package (with a lot to offer) and of course I checked the feedback they receive from Tripadvisor. After a week of research, I decided to pick this hotel and it was very good decision.

We stayed here on the 15th of February 2014 and arrived at 18.00hrs est. Coming from work and exhausted we were greeted by the warm and friendly staff. It was a good start already. The guy was very helpful and the check in was swift and efficient. He informed us everything we need to know with our stay and the packages included. We got the complimentary upgrade to the privilege room and the view was stunning from afar. They were generous with the complimentary drinks compared to the Hotel we booked two weeks earlier only offering two bottles of water. Comfy bed and spacious room with elegant decorations and the carpet was classy. The facilities they provide was brilliant except they have no hair-dryer.

Going on to the dinner, the staff were attentive and the food served was of high standard, delicious! Although they moved it in the board room (because the restaurant was booked since there was a wedding), it was still exquisite, the ambiance was mellow and romantic with love song softly played in the background. Superb!

The only minor nitpicks for me is the location as it is far from O2 Arena and other tourist spots and no bath tubs in the shower room. Also in the package it says 'box of chocolates'; we only had a small plate covered in a cellophane with 5 sweets in it. I would have thought that there was a literally luxurious box of chocolates waiting for us but nevertheless, this is a hidden gem hotel.

Many thanks for an amazing Valentines experience and we will love to come back again in this hotel for special occasions!

PS. I saw one of the photos in your website, it was one of your rooms with a bath tub just few steps from the bed itself. We would like to stay there next time.

Room Tip: 803 is a lovely room!
2  Thank FranzS020211

Dear Guest, Thank you for your 5 star review. It is always great to receive such detailed feedback and I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your visit. Glad our check in staff were efficient and provided you with a warm welcome. I am sorry however that there was no hairdryer in your room as we do provide hairdryers in all of our rooms. The room with the bathtub close to the bed is suite number 27. Please enquire about it next time you are planning to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

arrived at the hotel and was impressed by the decor the check-in lady was pleasant got to the room and was impressed by the size of the room, 1st problem i notice was where the bed was you couldn't see the TV which was annoying the 2nd problem was the water pressure in the shower was non existent, 3rd problem is the hair dryer didn't work, 4th problem iron burn on carpet, 5th room the heating hardly worked,

we went for dinner and drinks the staff in them was very nice and welcoming, got back to the room and as said before was so hard to see the TV we had to move to the end of the bed, also when trying to sleep all we could hear all night was other peoples toilet flushing it was like the main drain ran though our room, also the view we had was a brick wall with drainpipes not the most pleasant thing to see in valentines.

we woke up in the morning had breakfast the lady who brought it to the room was very nice but the food was cold considering the amount it was i should at least get it hot

i arrived home and noticed that i forgot my glasses in the room i called the hotel spoke to a lady explained to her what happened was put on hold for 5mins then a different lady came to the phone and didn't know what i was holding for, i told her what happened and was told to send an email which i done straight but i still have not had a response so far .....

lets see if this will get me a response

Room Tip: dont get room 114
1  Thank Andrew H

Dear Guest, I am really sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and would like to discuss this with you in person. Please could you contact me on 0208 469 4442 or jweiss@the-greenwich.co.uk