“Amazing”

The Nightjar
Ranked #160 of 22,853 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shoreditch
Description: A multi-award winning vintage bar and music venue specialising in amazing cocktail serves. Voted into the World's Top 3 bars for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 We also have a small tapas menu for those who come with an appetite.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We booked a table 6 weeks ago and it was well worth the wait. The service was excellent and the staff very helpful and attentive. The cocktails were amazing and all had very twist, but these twists were not just thrown in for effect, they were there for a good reason and made the drinks special. Our glasses of water were continually topped up. We all had a great time. With regard to the prices, for a top London venue they did not seem over the top, ranging from £9-£12 or £40 for one that could be shared with 8 people. Would love to go again.

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
“the classy experience...”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Every cocktail here is served with class and joy... I ordered a London mule and simply loved it! This is without a doubt one of the best and exclusives bars in London!
Recomendid to anyone... Cooples, friends... Solo... Simply loved it

Visited June 2013
“Mind-blowing cocktails, excellent service”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

What a find! From the friendly door-man to the attentive and friendly knowledgeable cocktail waiters and exquisite cocktails, we loved our Nightjar experience. The cocktail menu is fun and extensive, and the Speakeasy atmosphere is a delight with its cosy, dim-lit booths, beautifully decorated surroundings and well-dressed (and beautifully mannered) staff.

The charm is in the detail with this bar, and we were in raptures over the ingredients and the decor. Book ahead to get a table (they operate a table-only policy, which works well), and slots are 2 hours, which again seems sensible. This is a gentle, sophisticated bar, not one for sloppy drunks or rowdy corporate groups. 4 of us had an early-evening pre-dinner slot, but we will be back so we can really enjoy some of the more heavy-weight drinks and the music. A rare treat.

London, United Kingdom
“Get the basics right”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Cool bar in a good location near Old Street. However, places like this simply have to provide a premium service to justify both the cost and the incomprehensible levels of pretentiousness they flaunt.

I hate to be a Martini Ponce, but I am one. I very simply ordered a 'dry gin martini with olives'. Approximately 15 (at the very least) minutes later I am served a martini with a twist. I politely made my objection to the waitress who kindly offered to take my drink back to the bar to be replaced with the correct order. So far, so forgivable. A few minutes later the same waitress returns with the very same drink to tell me, in no uncertain terms, that this was actually the drink I had ordered. A circling manager, no doubt sniffing out the rumblings of discontent brewing as I shuffled in my seat (nay, stool), decided to intervene. Once I had explained the drupe vs citrus conundrum, he too offered his apologies and offered to replace the drink.

Upon his return, I could see clearly (even across the dim/ candle-lit Victorian hue of a speakeasy) that he had the very same drink that had been served to me but once, but twice. A third time the drink was placed on our table, this time with the authoritative explanation that 'according to the bar staff, a standard dry gin martini is with a twist.' My riposte was firm, but decisive, 'I know, hence why I ordered it with olives.'

Finally some progress; such was my state of gasping that not even I, the crown Prince of Martini scrooges, could bring myself to complain that I had in fact, on this final occasion in this sorry tale, been served a 'dirty martini.' Granted, it had olives, and I realised at this late hour that this was as close as I'd get to my staple cocktail. Roger Sterling would have been apoplectic.

1 star. I daren't mention the price.

3 Thank Benjamin B
London, United Kingdom
“Pure Class”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I am a bit of a prohibition era enthusiast, and as such i have been to many such bars around London, and indeed the world. None of these, however, even come close to the Nightjar experience. from the always helpful hostesses, to the phenomenal, one to one, cocktail consultation by the most friendly waiter- the likes of which i have never known in ANY other establishment. on both occasions that i have been lucky enough to get a reservation, he never fails to choose the most perfect drink for me and my guests. brilliant music, cocktails and tapas... this place is incomparable!