“Not good”

Cuisines: Seafood, British
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Ate here on Saturday with my family, the food arrived with little delay but after I had put salt and vinegar on my food, my girlfriend noticed that in the bottom of the vinegar bottle there was two dead insects. I got another one off the next table for her but only to find that also had dead insects in it. I asked the lady to come over and explained the situation and she simply took them out my hands, said nothing and came back with another one. There was no apology, explanation or anything of such like. Overall I felt the service wasn't very friendly and the insect situation was a big problem. The food was average but I would not return regardless. There was also a £3.50 fee added to the bill for table service to the front of the premises.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (286)

Reviewed September 14, 2019 via mobile

Worst fish I’ve ever had in my life,the batter is so thick and spongy you cannot eat it.
Fish inside is bland and tasteless
Chips were ok though
When I complained, apparently I’m the only one ever that has.
Many better places in West End for proper fish and chips and better value
Avoid this place it’s a total tourist trap and crap

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed July 27, 2019

On the hunt for a new fish and chips place, I was pressed for time, and not knowing I had eaten at Fish & Chipper back in May 2017, I ended up eating here again to get my fish and chip fix in May 2019.

I ordered one piece of the cod with chips and it was just as good as the first time. I ordered the food as takeaway, but just ended up eating there on the patio. The batter was light and crispy on the outside, the fish moist and fresh on the inside, it was good! The service was the same, I think it was the same guy serving me as well.

Date of visit: May 2019
2  Thank digitalroc
Reviewed June 22, 2019 via mobile

Very nice restaurant, fast and cordial service. Delicious fish & chips. Great for a quick & casual meal. Very nice outdoor seating.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed June 18, 2019

The pictures give the impression of a very big place. It is actually quite compact with relatively few tables squished in to a small space.

I ordered calamari, potato salad (in place of chips), and cole slaw. The few but large calamari rings were done just right. The potato salad, unusually, consisted of large skin on chunks with celery and mayo but was actually quite tasty. The cole slaw was tasty but ordinary with vinegar dressing. Overall, a good meal.

The beer selection here is North American. I have to wonder why they don't have any of the local brands.

I would note that a large amount of precooked fish sits in a display case under heat lamps. The better chippers cook to order.

This place was a very good experience. Despite some short comings, it is a really good chipper.

Date of visit: May 2019

Been to Fish & Chipper? Share your experiences!