“A HUGE shame about the staff...”
Review of Paxton Pub

Ranked #560 of 1,285 Nightlife in London
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A HUGE shame about the staff...”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

It started badly when we, as a party of 6 for lunch, were seated on sofas with a coffee table not even big enough for 2 to eat on. The staff didn't help us at all and just said "that's what you were given when you booked". Fortunately, some other diners kindly swapped with us.

After waiting some time for a drinks order to be taken, we decided to go to the bar ourselves where we were poured a cloudy pint from the end of the barrel. When we asked for a different pint, as the one we were poured was cloudy, the barmaid insisted it was supposed to be like that. When we said again that it shouldn't, she tutted, mumbled under her breath and then changed the barrel. As if that wasn't uncomfortable enough, she proceeded to pour a second pint and slam it on the bar, spilling a decent amount of it over my purse, without an apology. She then held out her hand for our money without a please or thank you. I was really shocked to hear that this lady was the manager - her attitude was awful.

The food is good - the beef brisket was delicious. It's a real shame about the seating arrangement and the lack of willingness to improve it for us and again, the quarrel over a cloudy pint was just petty.. We spent £200 on 6 people for Sunday lunch (with drinks) and we were so unhappy with the stroppy manager and general lack of kindness in the staff that we won't return again. Go up to The Sparrowhawk at the top of Gipsy Hill instead...

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Natasha H

Hampton
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Disappointing food”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I went there for lunch and ordered the butternut soup with chili and ginger. Not only was it very bland, you really couldn't tell it was spiced, but there was a lot of oil which made me feel slightly nauseous. Very small pieces of white bread as well. Won't go back.

Visited January 2014
UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“My local, and I love it”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The Paxton is my local pub. I can literally see it from my living room window, if I squint hard enough....anyway, myself and local friends go there often, and we love it. The selection of drinks is great, and the food is delicious, with a varied selection to suit everyone. It's very comfortable and relaxed inside, with attractive decor and a warm feel. The garden is fantastic in the summer, and depending on how busy it is, you'll often get table service for drinks (standard with food), which is a nice bonus - the staff are helpful and friendly. Ignore the disparaging review below, it's honestly just one disgruntled person's view and doesn't represent the pub at all. I think I'm better qualified to comment as I go regularly with friends and family - twice a week on average, for the past two years - so can testify to how nice it is, and consistently too.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank drexl73
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Pub In Gipsy Hill”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I really like this pub, it's friendly, has fantastic service, the staff are great and they do really good food, not only for meat lovers but also for vegetarians!
They have a great range of wines and beers and make a great Bloody Mary, if you fancy something stronger.
Out the back of the pub is a really nice beer garden, which was lovely to wind down in on a Summers evening.
The Paxton has become my local, I had my Birthday party their last weekend and everyone had a great time! The staff look after my guests really well.

Love it!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank BeaEden
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“what a disappointment!!!!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

It used to be a lovely gastro-pub, so we decided to venture there for a Sunday roast. It did not start very well as I had to wait 15 minutes to be aknowledged and served at the bar, although there were only 3 customers in the queue and 2 people behind the bar. We then take a seat and order 2 roast beef, and to our surprise they arrived after less than 2 minutes, which made me think they have been sitting in the kitchen's pass for a while. What a disappointment in finding out that what they call 'Roast Beef' was actually a beef casserole lacking in flavors and seasoning. My partnere had only a little bite of it, still when the waitress took our plates away she didn't even ask if there was something wrong with it.... which i think would be the natural reaction if taking away a plate barely touched. We will never go again

Visited September 2013