“Adequate and did the job”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of RestUp London

RestUp London
Ranked #452 of 837 Specialty Lodging in London
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Adequate and did the job”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

The hotel was well located for the south bank- about a 20 min walk. The service was very good by the reception staff and they were very friendly. I think the hotel is best suited for international tourists looking for cheap London accommodation. We had a private room which was compact but clean and overall I'd say the price was ok- I'd possibly expect it a bit cheaper. We had a lot of noise from people walking past the room at night- not too much but just the noise of them walking was loud. I'd recommend it to someone wanting to crash in London for a night or two, but not a family.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stone, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

On first impressions, the reception and lunch area looked modern, lively and colourful, what you would expect for a hostel trying to attract younger travellers and backpackers alike. However, the rest certainly did not live up to those first impressions. Once checked in we found our own way to our room, which was a little too small for the three bunk beds crammed against each wall, which stood on bare tiles.
The room itself was freezing and after several attempts at trying to turn the radiators on I gave up hope and added a few extra layers of clothing instead!
The beds were ok, comfortable enough and the linen was clean, though that was all there was in the way of comfort. The room was bare, cold and hostile.
Then came the horror of the shared bathroom. The shower I chose at first sent a pressurised jet of water straight into my face, due to the lack of a shower head. It was literally a pipe sticking out of the wall! So when I quick footed across to another shower I found it soon filling up around my feet as the plug was obviously blocked up with hair. Disgusting!
The worst however, was the bin which stood directly under the warm hand dryer, which someone had clearly been sick in at some point, as it smelt horrendous every time the hand dryer was used. There were also used sanitary items in the bin, which had no lid, because there were no sanitary bins provided in the unisex toilets. Yikes!
As if all that weren't bad enough, then came breakfast. Being vegan, I asked the gentleman at the reception whether I could have all the breakfast items except for the eggs and meat. He agreed, after a little confusion and went ahead and charged me the full £6. We then made our way into the breakfast room, where there was a lot of confusion as to what we were supposed to be doing. A lady kept trying to take our room number, even though I said several times, that we had only just paid and it wasn't recorded against our room. eventually we were seated and out came our breakfast. To my utter disappointment I received a plate of beans... yes, that was all.
I was absolutely gobsmacked that the gentleman at reception had thought it ok to charge my £6 for half a tin of beans.
Due to a family emergency we had to leave the hostel very shortly after and I did not get a chance to complain, which I deeply regret as there were quite clearly some very basic errors being made, which made our stay fairly miserable and uncomfortable.
Would NOT recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sophie B

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Slovenj Gradec, Slovenia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

The hostel is almost in the center and is great for sightseeing.
Had a room with bathroom and I was quite pleased. It was clean and comfortable. The bed was really comfy.
The TV room was really nice, and the breakfast was ok.
The only thing that I would change is more staff at the check in/out counter. That was a bit slow, but managable.

Room Tip: You must take the room with bathroom. It is not that much expencive, but you have the privacy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

We had a double room with a private bathroom. Very small room, bed was pushed against the wall with very little room for luggage etc. but we managed to make the most of it. Bathroom was clean, glad to have our own as the hostel was busy. A big group of teenagers must have been occupying several rooms and were very noisy, using the hall way to gather and muck around. Towels are not provided, but linen is. Breakfast is available for 4 pounds, cereal, toast, tea, coffee, juices, boiled eggs, cheese, ham. Overall the hostel was okay, the distance from the city, which was walkable if you had the time and energy, was somewhat of a drawback, and in retrospect we would have booked accommodation closer to the city centre.

Room Tip: It is probably worth paying the extra for accommodation closer to the city centre, as a return ticke...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

The staff, in general, is not friendly and not helpful at all. The rooms are ok, not amazingly clean, but it's not terrible either, although they put too many beds in a very small room, what makes the beds too close to each other. The bed is not even basically comfortable, it seems like the mattresses are those used for camping. The area is a bit dodgy, specially at night, and it's not that close to the underground station. The bathrooms are the worse: dirty, structured in a way you have no privacy and the shower is either boiling hot or cold, I tried other showers but all of them were this way. The hotel doesn't feel safe at all and is always crowded - when I was there there was around 30 pre-teens making lots of noise, probably some school trip, I don't know. I wouldn't stay there again and I don't recommend this hostel for anyone. Bad impression!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Juliana M
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

it`s the therd time i come here,i slept around 6 hostels before to found this one,the best one!
the staff is very competent and friendly, free wi-fi, good breackfast for just 4£
Bathroom and shower exellent, and you can wash your dress inside the hostel, because they have a loundry room as well...
The rooms are perfect, as well in 20people room, it is very big, so seems like you aren`t in 20 people...
I suggest this Hostel to everybody.... The best hostel in London!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Domenico850
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

From the moment I walked through the doors it immediately struck me how warm and friendly the staff are, even when extremely busy during the check in rush at 2.00pm. The building is warm throughout and the beds comfortable. Laundry services at realistic prices and rare to find in hostels, as is the quality of the food served in their dining area. Having stayed in many hostels while working abroad, Restup puts most to shame. Excellent value for money in a very expensive town and highly recommend.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo