“Boutique luxury in South Place”
Review of South Place Hotel

South Place Hotel
Ranked #37 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Boutique luxury in South Place”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

The location is great in the heart of the city and 5 minutes walk from the river next to Liverpool St Station. It's in the perfect location for the shard, tower bridge and The Tower of London. The room was excellent with great touches like a built in bar with fresh lime. The double bath was also very welcome after a day in the city. A big screen tv ipod dock and free wifi also help make the room very comfortable. As for the staff nothing was too much trouble and all were very helpful. Coupled with the little touches like the first floor bar on the terrace and games/common lounge all in all this hotel ticks all the boxes and more.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank gazzauk83
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear gazzauk83,

Thank you very much for your kind review. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel so much, and our team were so happy to read your lovely words.

I hope we will see you at the hotel again soon.

Bruce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed in London for a surprise last minute trip. I do have a preferred type of hotel and the smaller boutique hotels are generally a good choice. The hotel was in an area of London that I had never been before. While there is quite a bit of construction in the area, during our stay we didn't hear much noise. The staff was super friendly. The room was comfortable, although the furnishings were dark making the room seem darker than it should have. I loved the bath tub and the bath amenities!!! Nothing like soaking in a full hot bubble bath after a day spent in the cold drizzle of London. I also liked the thoughtful jogging map provided by the Hotel. We followed the walk by quite a few tourist areas and my London friends were quite impressed by all that we covered following the hotel map. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant but there was always quite a scene in the evenings at the bar and the restaurant was quite full suggesting happy customers. I would absolutely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ckay09
Dear ckay09,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I was so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much and you found our jogging maps useful.

I hope we will be able to welcome you at the hotel again soon, when perhaps you will be able to try our restaurants.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2014

It was the staff at the Hotel that made this such an enjoyable stay for us all. I don't think I've ever been encouraged to "use the facilities" with such enthusiasm and I've certainly never played a record player in a Hotel before: " please, make yourselves at home". Every single member of staff was friendly, attentive and helpful and there always seemed to be members of staff around. The Studio Room that we booked had better views than the Eldon Room, both were on the 5th floor. The beds were comfortable, the blackout blinds and night time lighting useful and effective. The communal rooms were useful and very unusual, it was lovely to be able to retreat from the public spaces on the ground floor, to the garden room and games room on the first. The communal rooms are wonderful and quirky but it was the staff that made this hotel special; it's very enjoyable to be offered blankets, umbrellas, carrier bags etc, before you have thought to ask for them.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sporads
Dear Sporads,

Thank you very much for leaving your review, we really appreciate you taking the time and I was delighted that you enjoyed our stay so much. Our people are our most important asset, and everyone was so pleased to read your kind words.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

If I were AA Gill I'd refer to him as 'The Blonde'. In my case it's my husband Andrew who planned a little secret getaway for our anniversary. A home from home in London. An escape from the everyday. A little indulgence.

So, from the moment we checked-in we felt special. Once we'd settled into our spectacular room (kindly upgraded due to the nature of our celebration) there was a little knock at our door. 2 complimentary glasses of bubbles and an enormous chocolate Easter egg presented to us. This may be quite special in most hotels but the handwritten card and messages from most of the day staff is truly exceptional. This is service a step beyond.

The room is digitally enabled. All lights and 'do not disturb' signs are controlled by touch. The safe has a plug inside - pure genius.

The facilities include a Michelin star restaurant, a spa, steam room and games room equipped with fussball, pool table, vinyl turntable and the big love of my gaming life, Scrabble.

The curator of the decor has a magnificent eye. Everything done with a lightness of touch, modern elegance and a cool contemporary sophistication.

The food and particularly the brunch is worth a trip, even if you don't stay the night.

Suffices to say we loved our stay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DebbieTurton
Dear DebbieTurton,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review, I was thrilled to read that you chose to spend your anniversary at South Place Hotel, and that you enjoyed your stay so much. It sounds like you made the most of your visit and I was very pleased to read that you were able to explore the entire hotel.

I do hope that we will see you again soon, whether that is for an overnight stay, or in one of our restaurants.

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

We visited the hotel for the first time and were very disappointed even tho reading the previous reviews. We checked in and paid approx £150 for a late check out the previous day to leave at approx 5 PM. On leaving our room, we requested maid service in order to have the room freshened up and new towels ready before our departure. On returning to the room on our check out day we noticed that our room had not been serviced, freshened up nor neither fresh towels plus when we tried to enter our room via swipping our card key it would not let us enter. We then had to go to reception to rectify this issue, we explained to management that our room had not been serviced which they apologised and offered us a complimentary drink which we did decline as we were leaving to catch a train. The hotel charged a lot of money for no real extra service. Unfortunately we will not be visiting the hotel again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kate B
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Kate B,

Thank you very much for leaving such a candid review. I would like to apologise for your disappointing stay at the hotel, quite clearly we did not meet our own high standards when dealing with this situation.

Our electronic room management system showed your room as being set to the ‘Do Not Disturb’ mode which meant that your room was not serviced. Obviously we should have checked your door to see if a card had been left requesting the room to be serviced, and we have amended our housekeeping procedures to ensure this does not occur again.

I would like to once again offer mine and my Housekeeping Manager’s sincere apologies.

We will write to you directly to resolve this matter and I hope we will be able to welcome you to the hotel again soon.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed April 19, 2014

This great boutique hotel, perfectly located in the city is a real treat. I spent a couple of nights there and it was perfect, not cheap of course, but excellent boutique hotels in such a location would be pricey anywhere. The room is amazing, the bathroom even more so, every little detail is flawless. The one downside is the view, but hey its the city. Strangely I used to work right across the road from the hotel for many years, it was strange staying the night across the road from work!

Room Tip: Ask for a room which doesn't face the street
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Danifinn
Bruce R, General Manager at South Place Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Danifinn,

Thank you so much for your kind words, I was so pleased to learn your stay at South Place Hotel was so enjoyable.

I do hope we will see you at the hotel again soon.

Chicago
Reviewed April 18, 2014

For starters, the hotel has many great attributes. Clean, modern, outstanding comforters and beds. The staff is exceedingly nice and willing to help. Our room was quiet, pitch black at night and with complimentary coffees and teas.
It's location is difficult to describe. It's extremely convenient, with close access to the Liverpool and Moorgate Tube stops, but the "neighborhood" is completely void of any charm. It's in a sterile business district, with few restaurants, unless you cross through the Liverpool station to Bishops Gate. Although it's not their fault, I would have preferred a more central location to the sites. That said, I am conflicted about the location, as I spent 5 days there and minded the location less and less as time went on.
One last criticism is the knowledge of the staff. As I mentioned, they couldn't have been nicer, but only a small minority knew anything about London, its sites and the local transportation. Most of my questions required the staff to Google the answer. I began to realize that I could answer the questions faster myself. I think that most of the staff are novices at their job, but will improve with time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank mb1Chicago
Dear mb1Chicago,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I was delighted to read that your stay at South Place Hotel was so enjoyable.

Although the hotel is situated in the City, which as you say can be a little quiet at times; we are only a short walk away from vibrant and lively areas such as Shoreditch, Spitalfields and Old Street, as well as tourist attractions such as the Tower of London and St Paul’s Cathedral.

I am sorry that you felt that staff knowledge was not as good as it could have been. I have spoken with our Head Concierge who will organise cross training between the Front Desk and Concierge teams to ensure that in future they are fully up to speed.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.