“No frills overnight in Barnet”

Greenhill Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Greenhill Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #355 of 557 London B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“No frills overnight in Barnet”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Tried to book via the Weavers website but got no reply so I rang the mobile number listed to book a room. Easy to find and park the car, although this was street parking. Apparently there is a small car park round the back lane. No obvious entrance, business was handled in the bar downstairs. The accomdation is not reached through the building but via a gated external stair to properties on the upper level above the shops. A scruffy entrance door with key pad entry leads into a more pleasant environment. Signs regarding the prohibition of wearing of dirty shoes and overalls inside the property caught my eye.
The en suite room was basic with tea/coffee making facilities, wall-mounted flat screen TV, and comfortable clean twin beds. There is also free wi-fi, with a good signal in my room which allowed me to successfully stream BBC iPlayer on my laptop, and there have not been many places I have done that. Whereas the room was not dirty, the shower and washbasin could have been cleaner, and there was dust on the windowsill. My room faced the rear and was quiet, and I slept like a log.
Breakfast was a wierd experience. I had to select a time for breakfast on booking in, so that the chef would be there to cook it, unless I wanted it after 11am when the bar would be open for food anyway. It was taken in the bar, and on getting up I could not get in at first. The only thing offered was a fry-up and toast, tea and coffee. On reflection since I suppose I could have asked for different things and maybe these were available. The tea came as a teabag in a mug, the fry up came with piping hot eggs and beans but luke warm bacon and sausage, presumably cooked earlier. The toast was pre-buttered. There was also no-one around whilst I was eating to complain too, and being hungry I scoffed the lot.
I would imagine Weavers caters for the workmen end of the trade. When I said I was driving and asked about parking I was asked if it would be a van or a car. Breakfast too was offered from very early (6am or 6.30am I can't remember now). So the clues were there. It offers a no-frills service, with room for improvement, however I had TV, internet, the ability to make a hot drink, a hot shower, and above all a good night's sleep. The location was also spot on for my needs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo