“Clean and quiet”

The Whitechapel Hotel
Ranked #624 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed for a couple of nights in April. The twin room we occupied had everything we required although we thought it strange to have the sink in our sleeping area ? Modern and clean interior and quiet outside in the evening. We didn't eat in the restaurant as we were out most of the day but it was busy anytime we looked. Handy for anyone staying in the whitechapel and surrounding areas . Staff were helpful with any queries we had .

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Whitechapel Hotel

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed here in April 2013. It was a real find! The staff are so kind and courteous. The rooms so tastefully designed and clean. The position is good for the Whitechapel/Shoreditch/Spitalfields area and the underground is a short walk away. The restaurant looked attractive but I didn't have time to try it as I spent a lot of time with family and friends. This will be my London base from now on.

Room Tip: If you want an extremely quiet room, ask for one looking onto the back
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Elspeth F
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nice hotel, very clean - the rooms are a bit small and oddly laid out, but the hotel is easy to get to and find, and the free wifi works a treat. It can be a little loud outside, but that's hardly the hotel's fault. For this price, I would most definitely recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed at The Whitechapel for a Friday and Saturday at the end of March as I was attending a gig both nights at the Troxy, which is fairly nearby. On a search around the web for a near-ish hotel that was relatively cheap, I found The Whitechapel. It fit the bill price and location-wise and had some good recommendations. Since I was only really going to be there to sleep, the lack of facilities (e.g. pool, gym) wasn't an issue at all.

On arrival, the area the hotel is in isn't particularly nice. Quite a few dodgy people selling dodgy things quietly under their breaths, that sort of thing. But on arrival at The Whitechapel, everything was fine. It's a new hotel in a nice clean building, nicely appointed inside with the restaurant on the ground floor. The staff were nice and helpful and I headed up to my room. Everything has a kind of industrially clean / futuristic feeling about it and it's just fine.

I had booked an Executive Twin room for £110 a night and it did exactly what I expected - two comfortable beds, decent enough decor, tea and coffee and a great shower. The hotel was quiet and perfect for an overnight stay or two. There weren't any facilities to spend a huge amount of time in the room, but that wasn't what I'd booked for, so it did the job perfectly. I can't comment whether the bigger rooms would be better for a longer stay.

And a special mention must go to one of the managers. On arriving back at the hotel Saturday afternoon as asking for the receptionist to book a taxi to the gig venue, they said no problem. When we came back downstairs at the allotted time he'd cancelled the taxi as he said it wasn't far enough away to justify us paying and he'd take us there himself. So we jumped into his large Mercedes and he drove us the 5-10 minutes to the venue, telling us a bit about the area, the hotel and the venue we were going to, then refusing any payment on arrival. A really nice touch from a thoroughly nice man.

I'd definitely recommend the hotel for a stopover - it's convenient for the East End of London, yet feels like you're in a little oasis of calm when you're in the hotel. Excellent value!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paul C
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The padlock on my case had broken and I was unable to open it, obviously panicking me! A member of the reception staff offered to help by cutting the padlock off and then brought the case to our room. We were impressed by the staff as they were very helpful and friendly!

The hotel was a good price for its location, and the quality of room was outstanding (modern, comfortable and CLEAN) mini bar in room was cheap also!

Overall, very impressed!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Whitechapel seems to have undergone something of a deterioration since the Ripper was here. The boarded-up Royal London Hospital and the empty shops all indicate an area in decline. The Whitechapel Hotel is something of an oasis of opulence among all this but has its shortcomings.

The hotel itself is modern and clean but its position is poor; some 10 or 15 minutes walk from the nearest tube in an area where taxis seldom run. My 'superior' room was adequate and competitively priced for a location close to the City so no complaints there.

The restaurant was disappointing. Totally without atmosphere. Not so much as a place mat on the tables. I'm not a particularly slow eater but even I need more than 5 minutes between the serving of the cold starter and the arrival of the hot main. The food itself was good but long-life milk in little cartons served with the coffee was unexpected. Having to listen to the manager berating the waiter for leaving the tap running also didn't help the ambience.

The pillows on the bed were the best I've had for a long time! Pity the soundproofing between the rooms is so poor otherwise this would have led to an excellent night's sleep.

Check-out was very slow as the receptionist had gone walkabout. Irritating when you’ve got a meeting to attend. The staff were polite but not especially friendly and did nothing to encourage a return trip.

I know I’m ‘bucking the trend’ with this review as others have been so complimentary. Perhaps I was having a bad day; or they were!

All in all decent value for money but taking the negatives into account not somewhere I'd choose to stay at again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Philip L
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I had been told that Whitechapel was a very rough area after I had booked this hotel, so I was quite worried when I arrived but was incredibly surprised by the quality of this hotel and the vibrancy and generally safe feel of the area.
The hotel itself is a modern, boutique type hotel which is both modern and very comfortable. The rooms are quite small but perfectly proportioned with a wet room, modern sink in the bedroom, hidden wardrobes and a super comfortable bed. The hotel is very new so I hope it stays like this, I'm sure it will do as it seems very well run. My own slight moan is that the French/Polish girl who answers the phone has terrible English, it took me around 20 minutes to arrange a simple booking but it is well worth the hassle. There is free WiFi and good water pressure.

The hotel is Asian owned and run so there is no alcohol or service during prayer time, I am not Asian but saw this as no problem.

One other issue is that the car park which is advertised on their website is no longer there, this was an issue for me because although there were other car parks available, I wanted to pay with my card. However, after 5.30 and before 8.30am there is free on street parking, I had no issue for both nights I was there.

The area is close to Brick Lane which is famous for its curries, here you can have a great night out. Be aware though that away from the tourist areas, getting any form of alcohol is difficult just in case you are planning a night out in the area.

Really excellent hotel and I will return next time I am in London