“Bacon Roll & Pain Au Chocolat, best I've eaten (take away)”

The Counter at The Delaunay
Ranked #1,499 of 24,420 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This place reminds me of those great patisseries and cafes in Tokyo; visually and gastronomically satisfying and not that expensive (depends on what you chose).

As boring as Pain au Chocolat. it is so beautifully glazed and crisp, I haven't eaten anything to match this perfection and it's affordable at £1.80. It might be more expensive than the regular "pain au chocolat" but the quality is outstanding (and it's not too small), and makes other cafe's bigger and cheaper pain au chocolate a rip off in price.

The bacon roll (£3.50), they use good quality smoked bacon (good amount of bacon, yummy), cooked slowly so you can taste the sweetness of caramelised bacon. The roll is also soft, and it is the best takeaway bacon roll I have had in London.

I had take away salad for lunch in the past, taste very good but for a lunch it is quite expensive for me (around £6 for salad and the portion a bit too small for me).

I haven't spent time sitting inside / outside (my colleagues do here and then), but it's a great place for a small breakfast before a busy day at work, and good place for a glass of prosecco after work.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I happened by this establishment on my way to the theatre. They have a limited selection of meals and a reasonable selection of baked goods, which are quite good. All their products are made locally. But for a place with as good a reputation as they have I would have expected better service.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I've been wanting to go here for some time and was taken as a birthday lunchtime treat.

I thought the service was great (and it came with a smile), the prices were very reasonable, the food and coffee was delicious and there just isn't anywhere else like it that I've seen in London.

It has that elusive mix of being special but not stuffy. Recommended.

3  Thank AlexSwallow
Reviewed June 21, 2013

They say you get what you pay for in life...... In that case somebody needs to let the Delaunay know! The cost is low (same as most chain coffee shops) while the food is high quality and the service always exemplary. It really does have a touch of class that is backed up by the ever friendly staff: from the manageress to the coffee girl. I can't recommend the place highly enough. Oh and try the cheesecake, it's a doozy! ;)

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Its location in theatreland had to make it a risk. Service at the counter was slack & offhand. The waiter was in a world of his own, not really sure what the order was. There were four of us but only three meals turned up. They seemed surprised that we thought there might be a meal missing. Two chopped chicken salads were OK. Two avocado & radish salads were pathetic. Hardly anything on the plate, mostly lettuce at that. Over-priced & over-blown. Poor value for money. Avoid.

1  Thank Andy F