“A welcome addition to the local neighbourhood”
Review of Zoe Restaurant - CLOSED

Zoe Restaurant
Cuisines: Mediterranean, French
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: This bustling little restaurant on Upper Street in Islington is a cheerful and romantic French bistro with genuinely friendly staff and authentic, fresh food. The intimate dining room, which is decorated with tiled floors and blonde wooden furniture, is always buzzing with a jovial vibe. Everything from the fresh mint tea and baked bread to the reasonably priced menu make this a neighbourhood favourite, and is perfect for post-work, post-shopping and pre-theatre meals.
London, United Kingdom
“A welcome addition to the local neighbourhood”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

A local Islington couple, in the older age bracket, we dined here for the first time on a Sunday evening with friends from the US, and will definitely be coming back. The food was well-cooked and well-presented, and the wine list good and very competitively priced. The owner and his charming assistant were attentive but not obtrusive.A gourmet and Michelin-starred place this is not, but as an honest local neighbourhood restaurant this is a most welcome addition to the Upper Street restaurant scene.

1 Thank Reformada

“Incredible -”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Went to Zoes for a family Sunday lunch - We arrived late but were still greeted with smiles and a warm welcome. Was very quiet compared to surrounding establishments, and was surprised by this due to the amazing ratings on tripadvisor. However, the front of the restaurant does not stand out to passing trade.

The food was exceptional, and great value for money and a brilliant selection of French dishes. 5 of us dined and all had different dishes - I had guinea fowl and duck with dauphinoise potato. All cooked to absolute perfection. Paid extra for a selection of different veg, all smelling and tasting incredible!

I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough - the only tiny nit-pick (if I HAD to give one) was that we were charged for bread that seemed to be offered to us. However, no errors with us all ordering different dishes for mains and dessert.

Service non intrusive but present. Desserts to die for - I was so full I could only manage a creme brulee, but tried a little nibble of the cookie dough cheesecake, ohhh and a corner of the lemon tart. All fantastic!

Will definitely go back as there if I'm back in the area, as there was a heap more dishes I would have loved to have tried!

Good work Zoe Restaurant, a well deserved 10 out of 10!

• Visited January 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
“Overbooks...”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Even though the food was fairly good and affordable, avoid this restaurant on high demand days, Valentine's day for example. The experience we had on that night was very bad. Even though we had a confirmed (and deposit paid for) 8.30 reservation, we were only seated at 9.30, after waiting a long time in a queue... Service took ages (understaffed and rushing all the time), so we were starving by time we had our starters, around 10.15...

London
“Can they live up to your expectations?”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

When a restaurant is rated by tripadvisor at 21 out of twelve thousand London restaurants you go along with pretty high expectations. After all, its higher rated than many of the Michelin starred places. First impressions are great - pleasant atmosphere, totally professional hosts who are welcoming and charming and effusive about their food and your choices, good wine list. The menu promises a lot, some classics such as escargots, steak tartare, brie souffle and a good selection of meat and fish dishes. When the food arrived it was frankly a bit disappointing. Some things were, in our opinion, a bit overcooked, underseasoned and just not very tasty. We talked in a friendly way to our host and agreed that our problem was that we were expecting a top class dining experience and were disappointed when what we got was a very good value, perfectly serviceable meal. Our host pointed out that they don't pretend to be anything other than a good value, local restaurant. They don't have kitchen capacity or the desire to offer haute cuisine. If we'd gone out for a Le Mercurey meal which is in a similar price range we'd have been thrilled with Zoe because its much better in every way. We got fooled by tripadvisor into thinking this restaurant was going to be something really special and this was compounded by the hosts giving us the impression it was going to be a gastronomic experience. So adjust your expectations and go there for a very nice, very inexpensive evening out.

Visited February 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“STILL... my favourite restaurant in London”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This was the second time my girlfriend and I had visited Zoe Restaurant. Our first visit six months ago was wonderful so we decided to have a belated Valentines meal here on Saturday night. It did not disappoint! Although we had only been here once before, we were treated as if we were weekly regulars. The food, as before, was fantastic. I had the Pork Belly again and loved it! My girlfriend, the duck. I am a massive foodie and I dream about this place in my sleep. For very reasonably priced, thoroughly enjoyable food with a warm and welcoming service, go to Zoe Restaurant today!

1 Thank Simon H